British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Cat on Plane (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/cat-plane-325786/)

Bounty Girl Sep 14th 2005 9:01 am

Cat on Plane

My cat is due to head off to Sydney 28th September, anyone advise me what can go in her container?
Can i put a small litter tray in there for her - save her soiling the bedding? :eek:
What about toys?
Anyone used Feliway spray when transporting cats?? did it work?
She is a pampered pus and pretty nervous - im starting to get worried about how she will cope

I've asked to transport company but have had no response :(

sel Sep 14th 2005 9:19 am

Re: Cat on Plane

Originally Posted by Bounty Girl
My cat is due to head off to Sydney 28th September, anyone advise me what can go in her container?
Can i put a small litter tray in there for her - save her soiling the bedding? :eek:
What about toys?
She is a pampered pus and pretty nervous - im starting to get worried about how she will cope

Hi

Not sure what can or cannot go in her carrier but regarding the Feliway it certainly wouldn't hurt to try it. I work at a vets and we sell alot of the plug in's and transport spray. From people moving there cats/dogs to a new home to breeders taking there cats/dogs to shows etc and I have not heard a bad report.

I myself will be using it for my dog.

Try not to worry ... she will be fine and all the best for the move :)

logan Sep 14th 2005 9:55 am

What about toys?

Hiya,
We brought 3 over and they've all got different personalities. One's laid back, one's an eternal kitten, and the third is pretty skittish. We put something for them to lie in, but that was it. We used the Feliway over here, (very expensive here! and they don't do the plug ins), but didn't use it in their boxes. To be honest the boxes aren't big enough for litter trays. None of ours had soiled their boxes. They're big enough for the animal to stand up, turn around and lie down in. We didn't even get to see the container they were sent in as we left them in Edinburgh, where they had a couple of days boarding before flying down to London and on to Sydney.

I've replied to many a post saying how well ours were when we collected them. We were both worried, (I was a mess when we dropped them off at the cattery!), but they settled into their new home within a few hours! Good luck, she/he'll be fine, they're very resiliant and adaptable creatures. :D

janeyray Sep 14th 2005 10:07 am

What about toys?

You can't put anything in her container aprt from her bedding.

She will be fed and watered from outside the container with no physical contact until she reaches the destination.

If you were to put a litter tray in her container the chances are it would be smellier and messier than if she were to choose her own place to poop.

Don't worry, they will take care of her. My two boys (cats) and our dog were fine. Although our dog put on loads of weight whilst in quarantine, one of my boys lost loads of weight! They did arrive in winter coats though, in tempretures of 40c!!!! :D

Lunnons Sep 14th 2005 10:48 am

Hi there
My cat too leaves on 28th for Sydney and I too am worried - will they treat him good - will they feed him enough - will he be alright ????
Whats the place like he will spend 30 days at in Sydney ??
Anyone been there?
Also my cat tends to go out a night here in England - what will he do in Oz??

bridiej Sep 14th 2005 10:49 am

What is "Feliway"?

sel Sep 14th 2005 10:56 am

Originally Posted by bridiej
What is "Feliway"?

Just a natural pheromone that helps calm them in stressful situations etc

janeyray Sep 14th 2005 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Lunnons
Hi there
My cat too leaves on 28th for Sydney and I too am worried - will they treat him good - will they feed him enough - will he be alright ????
Anyone been there?
Also my cat tends to go out a night here in England - what will he do in Oz??

You can find the quarantine station online and take a look at their facilities.

Your cat can go out at night if you want it to. BUT BE AWARE!!!...there are lots of anti cat people on this forum who want to protect the flora and fauna of Australia and feel cats do more damage to it than good. :rolleyes:

My cats were to fat and lazy in the heat of Perth to do anything other than sleep, parrot catching isn't in their cv. :D

janeyray Sep 14th 2005 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Lunnons
Hi there

- will they treat him good - will they feed him enough - will he be alright ????
Anyone been there?

Try this website...

http://www.affa.gov.au/content/outpu...71429E05F32079

if it doesnt work the quarantine station can be found at www.affa.gov.au its called Eastern Creek quarantine station I think. :)

goldcoastrealestate Sep 14th 2005 12:21 pm

I would be talking to your vet before you leave. I remember seeing something on TV where a lady travelled with her cat and the cat was never the same. As cats can suffer from anxiety, a sedative maybe required for the trip to avoid these problems.

Our cat fell into a bath tub full of water and now she hisses if you come near her at night time. My cat needs to see a shrink! Cannot imagine what she would do if we travelled to another country. :eek:

Gayle

sel Sep 14th 2005 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by goldcoastrealestate
I would be talking to your vet before you leave. I remember seeing something on TV where a lady travelled with her cat and the cat was never the same. As cats can suffer from anxiety, a sedative maybe required for the trip to avoid these problems.

Our cat fell into a bath tub full of water and now she hisses if you come near her at night time. My cat needs to see a shrink! Cannot imagine what she would do if we travelled to another country. :eek:

Gayle

You are not allowed to sedate an animal in transit.

The Feliway is a natural alternative that might help ... and I promise I don't work for them :D