Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cat owners in Oz........

Cat owners in Oz........

Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:40 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cat owners in Oz........

Originally Posted by koalakim
In some areas cats aren't allowed off your property, it's like that down on the Mornington Peninsula in VIC.

They get a $100 fine if found off your land so you have to make sure if they go out and escape then they have cash or credit card with them to pay the fine

They say it's because they want your cat to be kept safe....they say they will eat the local wildlife but some councils I think just don't like cats!It's a shame as I miss seeing kitties out and about, especially as I don't have one at the moment and want a cat fix every now and again!
I do not believe that to be accurate, cats do a huge amount of damage to wildlife and some native small marsupials are in danger of becoming extinct. 'My cat only catches the odd lizard/bird' doesnt cover it either, when you think of the amount of cats that are here that damage is mulitplied.

Personally, to me it is no great loss when I get reports of snakes killing cats outside the home because like the cat owners that are of the opinion of their cats killing wildlife, 'its only nature'.

It really wouldnt hurt people to have better control over their cats or get a cat pen or cat proof their gardens.

How funny is it going to be when/if cane toads ever thrive in WA - an introduced pest, probably being targeted by cats - another non indigenous species and some might say a pest, and guess which one will come off worst and die? Yep the domestic cat, then I am sure we will see an influx of cat owners being upset that their cat has been killed 'in the act of nature'.

Keep them under control, catproof your garden or get a cat pen but either way, stop them from destroying the wildlife.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:56 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

I'm not sure how much harm domestic well fed cats do - we are on acreage and kept our cat in with a run for the first year but then just couldn't cope with her mewing loudly all the time and constantly trying to escape so now she goes out until about 4pm. She has killed a pidgeon so far, about the only bird stupid enough to get caught - mainly she is scared stiff of birds and is no match for the Plovers, Magpies and Kookaburras etc. She did bring us a green tree snake one day, unharmed and helped us by killing a baby rat - I would love to let her out at night to help with the mice/rats in the chicken coop but know this is the time she might do most harm to native wildlife.

My neighbours have some strange ideas about cats - think they eat chickens! Maybe a wild feral could, but I doubt it as the chooks are happy with the cat in their run. These same neighbours have dogs that cause more harm by barking and stressing possums and koalas and sons that drive far too fast killing the lovely water dragons. These neighbours also kill any snake, mainly harmless ones so really as per usual the biggest threat to Australian wildlife is us humans
Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:04 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebnatoli
I'm not sure how much harm domestic well fed cats do - we are on acreage and kept our cat in with a run for the first year but then just couldn't cope with her mewing loudly all the time and constantly trying to escape so now she goes out until about 4pm. She has killed a pidgeon so far, about the only bird stupid enough to get caught - mainly she is scared stiff of birds and is no match for the Plovers, Magpies and Kookaburras etc. She did bring us a green tree snake one day, unharmed and helped us by killing a baby rat - I would love to let her out at night to help with the mice/rats in the chicken coop but know this is the time she might do most harm to native wildlife.

My neighbours have some strange ideas about cats - think they eat chickens! Maybe a wild feral could, but I doubt it as the chooks are happy with the cat in their run. These same neighbours have dogs that cause more harm by barking and stressing possums and koalas and sons that drive far too fast killing the lovely water dragons. These neighbours also kill any snake, mainly harmless ones so really as per usual the biggest threat to Australian wildlife is us humans
Trouble is, you know your cat but others dont know theirs and whilst we all know that dogs do alot of damage and the biggest threat is humans, I still see no reason why cat owners (not the existing responsible ones) cant take responsibility for their cats and confine them either to a cat pen/proof garden or at least keep them shut in during the night.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:26 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I do not believe that to be accurate, cats do a huge amount of damage to wildlife and some native small marsupials are in danger of becoming extinct. 'My cat only catches the odd lizard/bird' doesnt cover it either, when you think of the amount of cats that are here that damage is mulitplied.

Personally, to me it is no great loss when I get reports of snakes killing cats outside the home because like the cat owners that are of the opinion of their cats killing wildlife, 'its only nature'.

It really wouldnt hurt people to have better control over their cats or get a cat pen or cat proof their gardens.

How funny is it going to be when/if cane toads ever thrive in WA - an introduced pest, probably being targeted by cats - another non indigenous species and some might say a pest, and guess which one will come off worst and die? Yep the domestic cat, then I am sure we will see an influx of cat owners being upset that their cat has been killed 'in the act of nature'.

Keep them under control, catproof your garden or get a cat pen but either way, stop them from destroying the wildlife.
I agree totally. I am a cat lover, and we do have cats, but I would never let them out to hunt the indiginous wildlife. I do think that they need some outside time, but in the confines of a run so that both they and the wildlife will be safe. You can only know your cat as well as you know what it brings back home. It may not bring anything back to you, but it could be killing small animals and leaving them or eating them in the bush.

One of the reasons we came to Australia was for the wildlife, so there is no way that I would let my cats harm it.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by LittleKittyCat
I agree totally. I am a cat lover, and we do have cats, but I would never let them out to hunt the indiginous wildlife. I do think that they need some outside time, but in the confines of a run so that both they and the wildlife will be safe. You can only know your cat as well as you know what it brings back home. It may not bring anything back to you, but it could be killing small animals and leaving them or eating them in the bush.

One of the reasons we came to Australia was for the wildlife, so there is no way that I would let my cats harm it.
My mates cat kills bobtails
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:03 am
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleKittyCat

I also agree. We used to have a cat and kept her indoors but took her into the garden on a lead - however as she had been outside she was constantly trying to get out - she even knew if you hadn't clicked the door shut properly. It drove the dog mad as he knew she shouldn't be out and would charge after her and round her up. She must have got out about four times in the year we had her.

However she got out the front one day where the dog couldn't get to her, she didn't come home despite me walking the streets calling her. She was found the next day killed by next doors dogs.

We too enjoy the wildlife and I would be mortified if our cat had caught anything - even if it is natural and thats why we chose to keep her in.

I now have new cats who have never been let out and don't seem that bothered.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thewoodz
I also agree. We used to have a cat and kept her indoors but took her into the garden on a lead - however as she had been outside she was constantly trying to get out - she even knew if you hadn't clicked the door shut properly. It drove the dog mad as he knew she shouldn't be out and would charge after her and round her up. She must have got out about four times in the year we had her.

However she got out the front one day where the dog couldn't get to her, she didn't come home despite me walking the streets calling her. She was found the next day killed by next doors dogs.

We too enjoy the wildlife and I would be mortified if our cat had caught anything - even if it is natural and thats why we chose to keep her in.

How sad about your cat.

I did like the story of your dog rounding your cat up if it was in the garden.My blue heeler used to do that with my daughter.Sue.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by thewoodz

Your poor cat.

A vet once said to me if you are going to keep your cat indoors then never give it a 'taste of freedom'. If you do, it must be in the confines of a cat run and even then, you will need eyes in the back of your head to make sure the cat doesnt escape.

Your dog was very clever to do that, my dog herds my cat up as well (and me when Im drunk)

My Gordon has never been out in his life and doesnt seem bothered either.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ub40fan
They are the worst things in the world and the only thing in oz that i just cannot get used to..
Totally agree! Have been utterly converted to lizards, even petted a frill neck lizard recently, and have handled pythons here and abroad, but a cockroach puts the fear of god into me. OH thinks I'm mad.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 8:27 am
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for kind thoughts of my cat PP and petensue.
I totally agree about never giving a cat a taste of freedom - I have never done it with my current cats and they just don't seem bothered
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

Australia has a huge feral cat problem. In places on the urban fringe with extensive forest and woodlands, eg. Dandenong Ranges near Melbourne and many of the other fringe areas around Melbourne they are known to have caused extensive damage to native wildlife. They have also been implicated as causes of extinctions in Australia.

There is an area just to the NE of Melbourne where all cats and dogs have been banned completely. I've forgotten the exact suburb names but they are in the Shire of Nillumbik.

In most other similar areas there are dusk to dawn curfews, your cat must wear a collar with a bell when outside and stay on your property at all times. If these conditions are not met it can be impounded.

I have a cat and I would actually say I am a cat person. Personally I reckon dogs cause more problems in the community with their incessant barking, arbitrary defecation and actually attacking humans and causing severe injuries.

Never the less, cats that are left to their own devices at night cause massive problems. Our cat was attacked by a feral cat just the other week after someone accidentally left the back door open at night. We trapped the cat and handed it in to the council and it has now been impounded (and probably killed). Cats can get serious infections from attacks from ferals as well so it is in the owners interest to keep the cat inside at night, not just the wildlife's interest.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
Australia has a huge feral cat problem. In places on the urban fringe with extensive forest and woodlands, eg. Dandenong Ranges near Melbourne and many of the other fringe areas around Melbourne they are known to have caused extensive damage to native wildlife. They have also been implicated as causes of extinctions in Australia.

There is an area just to the NE of Melbourne where all cats and dogs have been banned completely. I've forgotten the exact suburb names but they are in the Shire of Nillumbik.

In most other similar areas there are dusk to dawn curfews, your cat must wear a collar with a bell when outside and stay on your property at all times. If these conditions are not met it can be impounded.

I have a cat and I would actually say I am a cat person. Personally I reckon dogs cause more problems in the community with their incessant barking, arbitrary defecation and actually attacking humans and causing severe injuries.

Never the less, cats that are left to their own devices at night cause massive problems. Our cat was attacked by a feral cat just the other week after someone accidentally left the back door open at night. We trapped the cat and handed it in to the council and it has now been impounded (and probably killed). Cats can get serious infections from attacks from ferals as well so it is in the owners interest to keep the cat inside at night, not just the wildlife's interest.
Good post
Old Jan 10th 2011, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

stenik will become famous soon enough

Mmmmmm, well how naive am I. Never even thought about all the things other posters have commented on! feeling a wee bit foolish now.......
I suppose it is like anything in life, you only know things once you have been told/shown! So, now to have a long hard re-think. I feel she would be ok as a house cat as she never wanders very far from our home here in UK. She is Siamese and a bit more reserved than my other moggy who will be staying as he is not really a house cat and would protest very much about being kept in! He goes berserk if his catflap is locked.....!
Thanks again guys for your honesty and information as it is essential that we get all the info we need before we come over. It is hard enough getting it all sorted, without getting it wrong! Thanks.....

Nikki x
Old Jan 10th 2011, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by stenik
Mmmmmm, well how naive am I. Never even thought about all the things other posters have commented on! feeling a wee bit foolish now.......
I suppose it is like anything in life, you only know things once you have been told/shown! So, now to have a long hard re-think. I feel she would be ok as a house cat as she never wanders very far from our home here in UK. She is Siamese and a bit more reserved than my other moggy who will be staying as he is not really a house cat and would protest very much about being kept in! He goes berserk if his catflap is locked.....!
Thanks again guys for your honesty and information as it is essential that we get all the info we need before we come over. It is hard enough getting it all sorted, without getting it wrong! Thanks.....

Nikki x

Nikiki, can I ask you about your siamese, my cat Gordon's father was siamese and Gordon has a bad habit of eating/chewing/sucking on fabric - is that a siamese cat thing, does your cat do it?

Old Jan 11th 2011, 12:53 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stenik

Nikki x
You don't know unless you ask!

Hubby and I decided that we weren't going to have any more cats when we moved to Australia (we had had several in the past, all adult rescue cats), but after months of persistant nagging and pursuading by the children and hubby I gave in and we got two 'death row' kittens from a local pound. I am glad I gave in, they are wonderful cats!

Re your siamese, do you think that she would adjust to either being a house cat or to having a run in the garden? You can get different types of run, some are movable and some are fixed. We intend to get a movable one so that we can put it in different bits of the garden and also on the verandah in the winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.