Cat owners.

Old Mar 17th 2006, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cat owners.

Hi we was going to leave our cat behind in the UK. But we are having trouble re-homing him with friends and family and we don't want to put him in a cat home. So we have decided to take him even though alot of my family think we are mad, but at least the kids are happy as they didn't want to leave him. But i am worried as i have heard that Australians don't really like cats because of the wide life. I don't know if this is true. So i would like to know has any one taken there cat/s and regretted it or they are glad they have taken them. Any help with how to get our cat to Aus, cost and if the cat took to the climate and journey there. I would be very grateful.

Stacey
Old Mar 17th 2006, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cat owners.

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan
Hi we was going to leave our cat behind in the UK. But we are having trouble re-homing him with friends and family and we don't want to put him in a cat home. So we have decided to take him even though alot of my family think we are mad, but at least the kids are happy as they didn't want to leave him. But i am worried as i have heard that Australians don't really like cats because of the wide life. I don't know if this is true. So i would like to know has any one taken there cat/s and regretted it or they are glad they have taken them. Any help with how to get our cat to Aus, cost and if the cat took to the climate and journey there. I would be very grateful.

Stacey
ahh shame on even thinking of leaving him ....he's part of the family surely...he'll be fine with you after the traumatic journey, even if he's to be an indoor cat it'll be better than leaving him behind...
Old Mar 17th 2006, 8:57 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan

Stacey

We are taking our cat Gordon. He will be an indoor cat as well.

I think if you are going to an area minimally populated by wildlife then there is nothing wrong with your cat going outside.

Locals object to cats destroying local and endangered wildife species so its advisable to keep it in.

One of the zoos always recommends keeping cats inside as they are not native so the 'cats kill birds/possums as its nature' debate doesnt stand as cats are not indigenous to Australia.

Loads of people migrate with their cats, sensible and considerate owners consider the local wildlife and keep them in or at least control when their cat goes out.

It can be done, as I say my fat ginger cat is coming out with us and his fare is more than my air fare
Old Mar 17th 2006, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
We are taking our cat Gordon. He will be an indoor cat as well.

I think if you are going to an area minimally populated by wildlife then there is nothing wrong with your cat going outside.

Locals object to cats destroying local and endangered wildife species so its advisable to keep it in.

One of the zoos always recommends keeping cats inside as they are not native so the 'cats kill birds/possums as its nature' debate doesnt stand as cats are not indigenous to Australia.

Loads of people migrate with their cats, sensible and considerate owners consider the local wildlife and keep them in or at least control when their cat goes out.

It can be done, as I say my fat ginger cat is coming out with us and his fare is more than my air fare
yep we brought our two 10 yr old cats with us and we have a nature reserve at the side of us and so keep our two in unless we are out with them, they are fine, i couldn't think of leaving them behind, no way.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 9:01 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
yep we brought our two 10 yr old cats with us and we have a nature reserve at the side of us and so keep our two in unless we are out with them, they are fine, i couldn't think of leaving them behind, no way.

I found this wicked site, although I cant find it now, but you can have your garden cat proofed so they can go out and not do harm to wildlife.

You can get cat pens and everything. I shall try and find it for when we get to Australia.

Although Gordon looks like the beast of Bodmin and Im sure we will need tough fencing for him.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 9:02 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
ahh shame on even thinking of leaving him ....he's part of the family surely...he'll be fine with you after the traumatic journey, even if he's to be an indoor cat it'll be better than leaving him behind...

Different folks have different situations, what is right for one cat may not be right for another.

Take my cat for example, She is 10 years old so has plenty of time left. However, she loves only me, and merely tolerates the OH and kids. We got her at 6 months old and although we can't be sure we think she was badly treated. Even after having her 9 1/2 years she still hates it if you shout and will go and hide for hours. She does not like men at all. If we go away and the neighbours feed her she doesn't eat, the couple of times she has been put in a cattery she hasn't eaten and has sulked at the back of the pen the whole time.

I really feel she would not survive the flight, never mind the 30 days quarantine, so she will be rehomed with my brother in law, who although he is male she has accepted over time.

So yes, although she is very much part of my family and it will leave a huge hole in my life, she will be staying here where I can almost guarantee she will be happy.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

innocent bystander is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a 10 year old cat who we will be taking with us to Brisbane next month (he'll be going via Sydney).

He's had a bit of a sick bug this last week and has taken a few quid to get him right. Airpets have quoted £1200 to get him to Aus. and then there's the quarantine fees and the cost involved in getting him to Brisbane unless we fetch him ourselves (which will also have to be paid for).

Could not think of leaving him behind possibly only with parents and in-laws who all like holidaying and who will want to come and see us. Cat has never been in a cattery, we have always had a good neighbour come round to feed him everyday whilst we have been away (although we're sure he probably lives there as much as he lives at our house - the cat that is).

He's like a dog really (so the vet says) and we shall be lost without him, until he gets to us.

He does seem to be changing though as he gets older and is spending more and more time inside (despite the children ages 7 and 3) so we think he will adapt well.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by innocent bystander
We have a 10 year old cat who we will be taking with us to Brisbane next month (he'll be going via Sydney).

He's had a bit of a sick bug this last week and has taken a few quid to get him right. Airpets have quoted £1200 to get him to Aus. and then there's the quarantine fees and the cost involved in getting him to Brisbane unless we fetch him ourselves (which will also have to be paid for).

Could not think of leaving him behind possibly only with parents and in-laws who all like holidaying and who will want to come and see us. Cat has never been in a cattery, we have always had a good neighbour come round to feed him everyday whilst we have been away (although we're sure he probably lives there as much as he lives at our house - the cat that is).

He's like a dog really (so the vet says) and we shall be lost without him, until he gets to us.

He does seem to be changing though as he gets older and is spending more and more time inside (despite the children ages 7 and 3) so we think he will adapt well.

Airpets quoted me a heafty fee as well.

Ill tell you who I made contact with and so far have been impressed and that is www.jets4pets.com

They quoted me just over 800 pounds (820 I think but would need to check)

I have to drop Gordon off at heathrow, which is fine as I live not too far.

Very impressive, fast and professional response.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 9:15 pm
Tiny Member

tucs is on a distinguished road

Airpets quoted me a heafty fee as well.

Ill tell you who I made contact with and so far have been impressed and that is www.jets4pets.com

They quoted me just over 800 pounds (820 I think but would need to check)

I have to drop Gordon off at heathrow, which is fine as I live not too far.

Very impressive, fast and professional response.

thats one expensive pussy
Old Mar 17th 2006, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by tucs
thats one expensive pussy
Old Mar 17th 2006, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thank you.

My cat tiger is 4 and we have had him since he was a kitten and we said we would only leave him with family or friends, but know one wants him. The more i think about it i am glad we are taking him. Not sure how he will react to being kept in. But i know the female cat next door will be glad to see the back of him.

Stacey xx
Attached Thumbnails Cat owners.-staceys-pictures-007.jpg  
Old Mar 17th 2006, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ub40fan
Different folks have different situations, what is right for one cat may not be right for another.

Take my cat for example, She is 10 years old so has plenty of time left. However, she loves only me, and merely tolerates the OH and kids. We got her at 6 months old and although we can't be sure we think she was badly treated. Even after having her 9 1/2 years she still hates it if you shout and will go and hide for hours. She does not like men at all. If we go away and the neighbours feed her she doesn't eat, the couple of times she has been put in a cattery she hasn't eaten and has sulked at the back of the pen the whole time.

I really feel she would not survive the flight, never mind the 30 days quarantine, so she will be rehomed with my brother in law, who although he is male she has accepted over time.

So yes, although she is very much part of my family and it will leave a huge hole in my life, she will be staying here where I can almost guarantee she will be happy.

I know exactly how you feel.

My cat Felix is exactly the same. She is such a character - kids are scared of her at times and OH is the same. She had been with me since my divorce from 1st hubby - and she was very protective of me. She would never have survived the flight or being in the cats home under quarentine - although I would dearly have loved her to come with us.

I found her a good home with and I send regular money for food etc. I get to see pics and her online some times - but I dearly miss her.

I don't regret my decision to leave her behind - but it was a very hard choice.

I have attached a photo of her
Attached Thumbnails Cat owners.-felix.jpg  
Old Mar 17th 2006, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Pipers Mummy is on a distinguished road

We bought a dog and two cats over from the UK. We used Airpets who I could not fault but I did most of the leg work myself - ie. getting their import permits from OZ etc (dead easy) and that cut down the cost a little bit. Despite our two cats being elderly and one in poor(ish) health we never considered for one moment rehoming them as they are our family. They all travelled (with BA) very well and Melbourne quarantine staff were great. We moved up to Brisbane from Melbourne in October last year and all of us travelled up by road - a great adventure!

Anyway, my point for posting is to say - only in some places (very few) are you legally required to keep cats inside. Ours are not restricted to the house - although they are very well behaved and do not roam. Everyone seem's to be worried about restricting their cats but I have never found that to be an issue during our 18 months here. what we did find to be more of an issue was finding rental accommodation that would take pets...nightmare to be honest but sorted in the end.

PM
Old Mar 17th 2006, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

I found this wicked site, although I cant find it now, but you can have your garden cat proofed so they can go out and not do harm to wildlife.

You can get cat pens and everything. I shall try and find it for when we get to Australia.

Although Gordon looks like the beast of Bodmin and Im sure we will need tough fencing for him.
Try http://www.catnip.com.au/
We are renting a place with a cat run made from this and the cat loves it. It no longer gets in fights of course, so should live longer. The aerial walkways seem to be a favourite place. Expensive though.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 3:16 am
Just Joined

racquet is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Cat owners.

Bring the furr-kid with you. There's a few people who don't like cats out here but there's also an awful lot who do. As long as you bring puss in at night you'll be right. Our 4 year old stays out all day and comes home automatically around dinner time to be fed. (That's when you lock him in for the night.
Cheers, Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.