Reload this Page >

Casual Internet connections in NZ

Casual Internet connections in NZ

Old Jul 16th 2003, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Casual Internet connections in NZ

Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible to get some deal for making occasional Internet connections whilst over in NZ for a short while? I'll be over there next month for a few weeks and would really like to be able to hook up for short periods from my motel room(s). Has anyone done this? I don't mind paying a few cents per minute for a phone call, but don't really want a full blown ISP contract. At least not yet.

Cheers,
Tony
Old Jul 16th 2003, 4:15 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Casual Internet connections in NZ

Originally posted by sofistek
Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible to get some deal for making occasional Internet connections whilst over in NZ for a short while? I'll be over there next month for a few weeks and would really like to be able to hook up for short periods from my motel room(s). Has anyone done this? I don't mind paying a few cents per minute for a phone call, but don't really want a full blown ISP contract. At least not yet.

Cheers,
Tony
Hi, apparently there are lots of places that you can surf from such as cafe's etc, that only cost a few bucks an hour. This is no good if however, you need the privacy of a hotel room........though I am at a loss as to why anyone would need this privacy..

Just kidding of course, all the best, Rich
Old Jul 16th 2003, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sofistek
Hi,

Cheers,
Tony
Hi TonY

I've been looking at different ISP's for when we arrive in a couple of weeks - would a pay as you go account not do the trick? I've checked out a few , let me know if your interested and I will fetch the details

Tori
Old Jul 16th 2003, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by TIZUS
Hi TonY

I've been looking at different ISP's for when we arrive in a couple of weeks - would a pay as you go account not do the trick? I've checked out a few , let me know if your interested and I will fetch the details

Tori
Yeah, I guess that would do it, provided I can connect from a motel/hotel room phone. Has anyone done this? Thanks for the suggestion, Tori; if you have any info, please pass it along.

Thanks to Rich for his comments! Hey, it's probably the biggest money spinner on the Net, so don't knock it. However, I was thinking more in terms of being able to download my mail and hang onto it (the mail, that is) for later reference.
Old Jul 16th 2003, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

icklepickle is an unknown quantity at this point

We are hoping to do the same when we go in a few weeks time - er, we have a internet shop to keep running so can't use an internet cafe etc, honest. I haven't found one yet so am keen to see any results. I have noticed that many of the hotel descriptions will tell you whether they have an internet ready phoneline in the rooms.

Regards,
Old Jul 16th 2003, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by icklepickle
We are hoping to do the same when we go in a few weeks time - er, we have a internet shop to keep running so can't use an internet cafe etc, honest. I haven't found one yet so am keen to see any results. I have noticed that many of the hotel descriptions will tell you whether they have an internet ready phoneline in the rooms.

Regards,
I'm not planning on staying at hotels, though. Motels and Motor Lodges at $60-$100 per night is what I'll be looking for. I don't expect many of those to have specific internet facilities. But some will and maybe I'll get lucky.
Old Jul 16th 2003, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

icklepickle is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is the sort of thing I meant :
http://www.wotif.com/Accommodation/v...=accommodation

It is a motor lodge but is at the top end of your price range so might be an exception.

Cheers,
Old Jul 16th 2003, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by icklepickle
Here is the sort of thing I meant :
http://www.wotif.com/Accommodation/v...=accommodation

It is a motor lodge but is at the top end of your price range so might be an exception.

Cheers,
Thanks, Jan. This looks quite good and has dial up access. I'll keep it in mind. I've come across some Best Western motels that also have data ports in the rooms. At least for Auckland. I think I'll be OK.
Old Jul 16th 2003, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

You can take out contracts with people like Telecom and not be tied in for long periods.

Telecom offer unlimited access for $27.95 a month check out www.xtra.co.nz

The other ISP that is making lots of noise at the moment is Slingshot www.slingshot.co.nz who offer unlimited access at $16.95 per month.

I use Telecom and the service is reliable.

I have no experience of Slingshot.

Drop them both an email and see if they will offer you a 12 month contract.

When I first arrived Telecom offered a 30 day free trial which would be perefct for you.
Old Jul 16th 2003, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by smithone
You can take out contracts with people like Telecom and not be tied in for long periods.

Telecom offer unlimited access for $27.95 a month check out www.xtra.co.nz

The other ISP that is making lots of noise at the moment is Slingshot www.slingshot.co.nz who offer unlimited access at $16.95 per month.

I use Telecom and the service is reliable.

I have no experience of Slingshot.

Drop them both an email and see if they will offer you a 12 month contract.

When I first arrived Telecom offered a 30 day free trial which would be perefct for you.
I doubt that I could take out a contract or even a trial as I'm sure they'd want a permanent NZ address, which I wouldn't have. But thanks for the suggestion. Maybe Tori's pay as you go idea is the one, though that may also need a permanent address.

No panic, I have a month to sort it out.
Old Jul 16th 2003, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Tony

I was in temporary accomodation when I took out the free trial. As long as you pay up front then I can't see what the risk is to an ISP.
Old Jul 16th 2003, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tony

I was in temporary accomodation when I took out the free trial. As long as you pay up front then I can't see what the risk is to an ISP.
I think you might have misunderstood. I'll only be over there, this time, for about 3 weeks, travelling around NZ. I was looking to connect from various motels that I might stay at.
Old Jul 16th 2003, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

If you are taking a laptop with you then all you need to do is download the relevant software and then you can access the internet from any telephone point in New Zealand.

You are not tied to one location.

I
Old Jul 16th 2003, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you are taking a laptop with you then all you need to do is download the relevant software and then you can access the internet from any telephone point in New Zealand.

You are not tied to one location.

I
I realise that. But I'd need access to appropriate access numbers. I've used "no contract" dial up numbers in the UK before (Yahoo had one and I think still do) and hoped there might be some in NZ.

Cheers,
Old Jul 16th 2003, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Tony

I'm not aware of a no contract one but with Telecom you are not tied in, so as long as you pay in advance and cancel the contract before you go then I don't see what the problem is.

You'll get all the access numbers you need, surf the web as much as you like and then the day you leave give them a call and cancel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.