Reload this Page >

Cash or Travellers Cheque on visit to Perth

Cash or Travellers Cheque on visit to Perth

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

alrobson will become famous soon enoughalrobson will become famous soon enough
Default Cash or Travellers Cheque on visit to Perth

Hi All,

I'm off to Perth in Novemeber for a research/holiday visit and I was wondering how I should take my money. I've been to the US many times where it's really easy to change travellers cheques but I was wondering if Perth would be the same. Obviously I don't want to take a lot of cash but I suppose I will have to if I can't get the travellers exchanged anywhere other than banks who are going to charge me commission again!

Thanks,

Adrian
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

cuthere is an unknown quantity at this point

Most international banks (Citibank, HSBC, etc) have worldwide ATM facilities which allow you to draw money in the country you are in. Example : when I was in Australia, I could go to most of the local ATMs (ANZ, etc ) which is easy to find and draw AUD from the ATM and they debit my Citibank account on the same day using their exchange rate. No need for travellers' checks or carrying cash.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 7:33 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cash or Travellers Cheque on visit to Perth

Originally posted by alrobson
Hi All,

I'm off to Perth in Novemeber for a research/holiday visit and I was wondering how I should take my money. I've been to the US many times where it's really easy to change travellers cheques but I was wondering if Perth would be the same. Obviously I don't want to take a lot of cash but I suppose I will have to if I can't get the travellers exchanged anywhere other than banks who are going to charge me commission again!

Thanks,

Adrian
TCs are a good insurance policy otherwise I just take enough cash for the first few days and then use cash withdrawals and the visa card. Check your bank for fees. If you are with Barclays they have a reciprocal agreement with westpac so the fees are lower.