Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cash through Customs

Wikiposts

Cash through Customs

Old May 7th 2006, 10:28 pm
Can't wait!

utopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cash through Customs

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
I went through the red channel at customs as you are asked to declare large amounts of cash. I was asked why I had brought cash, and I explained that we wanted to buy cars etc and we were just emigrating. They counted it and took a photocopy of my passport and that was it. Took all of ten minutes.

Hi Andrew,

If you dont mind me asking... did you come in with as much as I am planning on going in with? Was it complete cash or cheque/bankers draft?

PS we are now also considering bank transfer... but might still stick with cask idea!
Old May 7th 2006, 10:29 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by utopia
Not sure what the rules are I have looked through the Australian Customs site... but all I could find is, anything over 10.000 AUD has to be declared.

It doesn't actually tell you if there is a limit to how much physical cash you can carry over?

Would 30.000 pounds in cash be allowed?

I am just curious, as I have heard nightmare stories recently with regards to bank transfers under 50.000 pounds!

Sounds silly but we are considering bringing a cheque, with us... or Bankers Draft... something like that!
Not 100% sure. Your'e limited to bringing in $AUD10,000 any more and you must declare it or risk forfeiting it!

For further info:
www.customs.gov.au
Old May 7th 2006, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Not 100% sure. Your'e limited to bringing in $AUD10,000 any more and you must declare it or risk forfeiting it!

For further info:
www.customs.gov.au

You can bring in how much you like, but have to declare more than $10,000 AUD or equivalent in other currency (I looked already )
Old May 7th 2006, 10:33 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild

For further info:
www.customs.gov.au
I suggest you email them through their 'contact us' option and print out their response and take it to OZ with you as evidence of a genuine attempt to comply with Australian Customs Law.
Old May 7th 2006, 10:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by WendyC
You can bring in how much you like, but have to declare more than $10,000 AUD or equivalent in other currency (I looked already )
You're just TOOOO good! I still reckon a printed email response from them is a good idea though, as well as obviously declaring it. Really, that sort of money should be deposited to a bank account in OZ or HBSC, for safety. Imagine if you lost your life savings cos they were in luggage and it got lost or stolen :scared: