Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

cash movements uk-oz

cash movements uk-oz

Old Dec 18th 2003, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

marknclaire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cash movements uk-oz

ive read many items on the forum about moving money between the uk and oz, the problem being they often conflict.

I wish to move my cash from the uk to oz and i believe i must do this before 6 months after my arrival

my questions are

1. is there any offical (ato) publication that lays down all the guidelines for migration and money?

2. What are the deadlines for moving money-is it 6 mnths?

3. If i dont move my money before this deadline what are the ramifications?

4. Im sure i'll pay tax somewhere but what if i just wait for a better exchange rate?

ive already gone down the pension route so please igonore that subject in any reply(otherwise it will get very confusing)

thanks for any help anyone can provide
Old Dec 18th 2003, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

I can only say that I spoke to an English lady in Brisbane called Helen Wratten and her
number is 07 3347 2274. She works for AMP but don't let that put you
off!

Yes she does deal with importing pensions, but seems her speciality is in helping expats shift assets in general. If nothing else she'll at least be a professional opinion. I found her to be very nice and helpful without pushing any products etc on me.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

The hardest thing we found was actually deciding whether or not to move our pensions from the UK to Oz. Having mixtures of defined benefit and final salary schemes complicates the decision. In the end we decided to move all of them over, and the sooner you do this upon arrival the better.

If you are going to move pensions from the UK to Oz do it yourself. Finacial advsers will charge you a hefty chunk for filling out a few forms. It really is pretty straight forward. Just write to your pension manager and request an overseas transfer. That will get the ball rolling with all the forms etc. You can expect the process to take some months before the funds are made available you your Oz Super fund, largely dependent on the pension manager and whether you get someone in the IR who has a clue what they are talking about.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 4:56 am
Just Joined

Ginger Whinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: cash movements uk-oz

Originally posted by marknclaire
ive read many items on the forum about moving money between the uk and oz, the problem being they often conflict.

I wish to move my cash from the uk to oz and i believe i must do this before 6 months after my arrival

my questions are

1. is there any offical (ato) publication that lays down all the guidelines for migration and money?

4. Im sure i'll pay tax somewhere but what if i just wait for a better exchange rate?

ive already gone down the pension route so please igonore that subject in any reply(otherwise it will get very confusing)

Marknclaire,

Cannot help you with all of this but am fairly sure that the 6 month thing only relates to pensions. For most other money / investments the important date is when you arrived. Then any increase in value of assets from that date may be liable to tax so if the exchange rate moves in your favour then I think you can be taxed on that increase.

We transferred our cash through the Commonwealth bank who gave a surprisingly competitive rate from an account at the London branch to our account with them here an no comission.

The australian tax office has a comprehensive website which will probably have a lot of the info you want but it is very tedious and hard to understand a lot of it. Alan Collett's website has some factsheets which are much more comprehendable.

Remember though - if you do pay tax having got a better exchange rate you will still have more Aussie dollars in your pocket. They only tax the increase!!

GW
Old Dec 19th 2003, 9:08 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ginger Whinger
Marknclaire,

Cannot help you with all of this but am fairly sure that the 6 month thing only relates to pensions. For most other money / investments the important date is when you arrived. Then any increase in value of assets from that date may be liable to tax so if the exchange rate moves in your favour then I think you can be taxed on that increase.

We transferred our cash through the Commonwealth bank who gave a surprisingly competitive rate from an account at the London branch to our account with them here an no comission.

The australian tax office has a comprehensive website which will probably have a lot of the info you want but it is very tedious and hard to understand a lot of it. Alan Collett's website has some factsheets which are much more comprehendable.

Remember though - if you do pay tax having got a better exchange rate you will still have more Aussie dollars in your pocket. They only tax the increase!!

GW
And if you move money over more than 12 months after entering Australia, you only get taxed on 50% of the gain.

Jane
Old Dec 19th 2003, 12:24 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

For ease of reference you can obtain my tax factsheets via this webpage
http://www.collettandco.com/aussie_individuals.html

Best regards.

Originally posted by marknclaire

my questions are