Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Carseat for 7 month old on flight?

Carseat for 7 month old on flight?

Old Nov 4th 2008, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Carseat for 7 month old on flight?

Hi everyone

I have read all the search items I could find and the Internet in general but not having any luck finding the info I want and wondered if anyone could help.

We are flying to Hong Kong then Brisbane in April. Our son will be 7 nearly 8 months old (and quite big - he's huge now!). Cathay state that we can take a carseat IF it is forward facing and suitable for 6 months+.

All the carseats I can find are rear facing until 9 months+. Even the combination ones recommend this.

Ds won't fit in a bassinet at that age yet it doesn't seem like he'll be able to go in a forward facing either. I REALLY cannot abide the thought of him being a lap passenger all the way so my question is...........

What can we do? Is there a solution or have we chosen a bum time to fly?

I realise that we can't use our carseat in Aus but am willing to bin it.

Thanks for any advice,

Itigo
Old Nov 4th 2008, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

leeh36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Carseat for 7 month old on flight?

Hello,

Bebe confort do a forward facing car seat that is suitable from birth as it reclines and has a removable inner padding section.

We have one and it has been great from birth up until 3 years.

lee
Old Nov 4th 2008, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

leeh36 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just asked the wife and she says that the model is iseos and can be used facing backwards and forwards.

The seat is mega and the child can sit forward facing once it weighs 9kg which may suit you.

Lee
Old Nov 4th 2008, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future

Hi we had a britax car seat that was forward facing and suitable from birth, here have a peek, to be honest there are loads of seats similar available and alot less expensive

Gill
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:36 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

You won't be allowed to legally use the seat in Oz, so it might not be worth the expense.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by itigo
Hi everyone

I have read all the search items I could find and the Internet in general but not having any luck finding the info I want and wondered if anyone could help.

We are flying to Hong Kong then Brisbane in April. Our son will be 7 nearly 8 months old (and quite big - he's huge now!). Cathay state that we can take a carseat IF it is forward facing and suitable for 6 months+.

All the carseats I can find are rear facing until 9 months+. Even the combination ones recommend this.

Ds won't fit in a bassinet at that age yet it doesn't seem like he'll be able to go in a forward facing either. I REALLY cannot abide the thought of him being a lap passenger all the way so my question is...........

What can we do? Is there a solution or have we chosen a bum time to fly?

I realise that we can't use our carseat in Aus but am willing to bin it.

Thanks for any advice,

Itigo
You are mad to buy a car seat if you are moving out here but just for the flightThe britax freeway is the cheapest option and fits in the seats. We picked up on sale at halfords for £40. Can also find them on eBay. Good for just the plane journey. You can hire a proper seat once in oz. We still keep our britax freeways and will use if we fly with a toddler

Last edited by PoppetUK; Nov 4th 2008 at 10:22 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
You are mad to buy a car seat if you are moving out here but just for the flightThe britax freeway is the cheapest option and fits in the seats. We picked up on sale at halfords for £40. Can also find them on eBay. Good for just the plane journey. You can hire a proper seat once in oz. We still keep our britax freeways and will use if we fly with a toddler
Ps. Are you aware that you need to purchase an extra seat to use car seat. It's a gamble that a seat will be free otherwise.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

As Poppet says, I'm assuming you've bought a seat for him as otherwise the carseat thing is irrelevant. It's a bit of a risk showing up at the airport with a car seat hoping they will block a seat (if there are any free) for you, and you would then have the stress of hoping you'd be as lucky on the Hong Kong-Brisbane leg. I wouldn't be filled with joy at the thought of a child that age on my lap for such a long journey either, but you could end up (like friends have) buying an expensive seat then having the child want to sit on your lap for most of the flight anyway!