Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cars vandalised again for being brits

Wikiposts

Cars vandalised again for being brits

Old May 31st 2006, 10:30 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cars vandalised again for being brits

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
If you ask Aussie neighbours who park their cars on the street if they have ever been vandalised l'm sure alot of them would have been at some time.
Right on the money.

Mine was parked on a council verge because there wasn't room on the driveway.

It was the first and only time I have ever had a car vandalised.
Old May 31st 2006, 10:30 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cars vandalised again for being brits

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Dare I ask...?
perfectly good reason for staying in Aus...managed to exchange for a front loader!!!
Old May 31st 2006, 10:31 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greggsy
We have been in Aus for 3 weeks and had a hard few weeks sorting out the essentials as some might haveseen in my recent thread "never new it would be this tough".
One thing i didnt mention was our 2 new cars were keyed last week we presumed it was down to the qld v nsw game as it happened that night. We were wrong it has happened again but only worse the cars are a mess and it happened outside my sisters house both times where we are staying. Seeing as we dont know anyone here and havent even spoken to anyone it has got to be down to the fact we are english and it must be someone in the street. There was a very small english badge on the back seat of one of the cars but you would not be able to see it at night when this was done.
There are loads of cars about in the road and ours are the only ones damaged so its definately personal. The police are not at all interested and we are very close to getting on a plane home to england. I said in my last thread i was not trying to put anyone off cming here with the difficulties you may come across when you arrive. Well i have changed my mind i would say think hard because apart from this incident with the cars i have found a few locals have a very poor opinion of brits and there attitude towards us has been very abrupt and offish once they hear your accent. I am not sure if we will stay or not at the moment i am checking out the price of turning our container straight back round to the uk. I was wondering if anyone else has had any incidents like tis would be interested to hear about them

mark
A couple of points worth thinking about: If you've just started parking the two cars in the street you may well have pissed the neighbours off just by doing that, it may not be anything to do with being new Poms in town & more to do with the cars taking up space in the street where someone else has parked for a long time.
Also could be due to the fact they're new cars, a touch of green eyed monster from another person in the street.
Try not to read to much into it they're only a couple of cars, who really cares if they have scratches on? wait until it hails and they resemble an over sized golf ball a few scratches will pale into insignificance.
You sound like your going through the scared shitless stage to me. I read your other post and it accurately describes what most of us went through when we first arrived. It doesn't last that long and soon you'll wonder what all the fuss was about
Old May 31st 2006, 10:37 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Cars vandalised again for being brits

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
perfectly good reason for staying in Aus...managed to exchange for a front loader!!!
LOL!
Old May 31st 2006, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cresta57
A couple of points worth thinking about: If you've just started parking the two cars in the street you may well have pissed the neighbours off just by doing that, it may not be anything to do with being new Poms in town & more to do with the cars taking up space in the street where someone else has parked for a long time.
Also could be due to the fact they're new cars, a touch of green eyed monster from another person in the street.
Try not to read to much into it they're only a couple of cars, who really cares if they have scratches on? wait until it hails and they resemble an over sized golf ball a few scratches will pale into insignificance.
You sound like your going through the scared shitless stage to me. I read your other post and it accurately describes what most of us went through when we first arrived. It doesn't last that long and soon you'll wonder what all the fuss was about
You mention a couple of good points.
Maybe someone is pised someone off that Gregsy is parking in the street, please dont be spineless and vansalise his car actually address the problem and ask him not to do it.

Also have you ever had your car scratched to that extent? I haven`t but I would be very pissed off if I had.
It is not only "just a car" to me and I have a van and care for cars very little.

I would be very pissed off.
Old May 31st 2006, 10:50 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by halcyon 52
You mention a couple of good points.
Maybe someone is pised someone off that Gregsy is parking in the street, please dont be spineless and vansalise his car actually address the problem and ask him not to do it.

Also have you ever had your car scratched to that extent? I haven`t but I would be very pissed off if I had.
It is not only "just a car" to me and I have a van and care for cars very little.

I would be very pissed off.
Aye - it is a good point. I remember my mother (think: scarey Irish matriarch) - nicked some official police traffic cones which she kept in the shed. Every time she went out, she'd put 'em on the road in case any of the god-botherers attending the CofE church over the way had the nerve to park on 'her' bit of road. She used to get in a right old state if anyone nicked her space - funny how people can get so territorial about a bit of tarmac.
Old May 31st 2006, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

I really feel for you, it sounds as though your very unhappy and feeling persecuted. It can all be part of the feeling different aspect to migrating, for me it was the shopping in supermarkets, everything looking the same from a distance but up close different types of food and labels. I can confess that this was a particular stumbling bloke for me, I would often quote, "its not like this in the UK" which was not helpful.

I really would think about your original motivation for moving here, try to give it a shot, what you've experienced doesn't have to be all there is. We haven't really met many Ozzie's, but the ones we have have not been really nasty, Infact I would welcome the opportunity to meet more. We live in a street of mainly Poms so we have a comfort zone to a point, but everyone goes their own way and we don't see them that often, bit like life in the SE England was.

Whilst your this upset is probably not the best time to make such a big decision, pm me as I'm close to where your living if you want to get together.

Thinking of you all

Tracey
Old May 31st 2006, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hutch
Aye - it is a good point. I remember my mother (think: scarey Irish matriarch) - nicked some official police traffic cones which she kept in the shed. Every time she went out, she'd put 'em on the road in case any of the god-botherers attending the CofE church over the way had the nerve to park on 'her' bit of road. She used to get in a right old state if anyone nicked her space - funny how people can get so territorial about a bit of tarmac.
I know what you mean. I have seen the old cones used before.
My missus is very protective about "her space" but as I say to her if it is a public road and they pay their tax they can park there, just get on with it.
Old May 31st 2006, 11:08 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

Lol. The girlfriend and I call Bayside "Little Britain".

Originally Posted by jad n rich
baysides probably one of them that the amount of poms arriving is getting to saturation point, last time we were down there aussie rels called it the pom invasion
Old May 31st 2006, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Sattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really nice

Hi All,

I really don't wish to stir things up or offend anyone, but in my limited experience the locals here do seem to make a very big distinction between English and non English.

A couple of examples, we met two of our neighbours a couple of weeks back. They immediately picked up on our accents that we were Welsh and told us that they had been dreading us moving in as they had been told by the previous occupants that we were 'bloody poms'. Since then, they have really gone out of their way to make us feel welcome.

My wife has also experienced this at playgroups with my daughter. She has never been particularly nationalistic, has an Italian background, and has always maintained that she doesn't really understand the fuss about what country you come from. However, she commented the other evening that since she has been here she has become very aware of being Welsh, rather than British, as she has found that the attitudes of the other mothers become very different if you make this distinction.

As I said, I really don't wish to cause any offence but this is our experience here.
Old May 31st 2006, 12:51 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

Well, I've been here five years and apart from some friendly banter during the Lions tour, the Ashes, and during the Rugby World Cup, and some of my mates ribbing me at times, I have had no problems from anyone about being a Pom, and have been welcomed into Australian society warmly and with open arms.
Old May 31st 2006, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

greggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: Cars vandalised again for being brits

Thanks for all the remarks quite a few gave me a laugh as well as helpfull comments. We have decided to move out of my sisters this week into our new place in bayside (Wakerley) even though our boat does not turn up for a couple of weeks to try and save any more damage to the cars .
As for a few people asking about any previous history of damage here there has been none, i knocked on a few neighbours doors and introduced myself and asked if anyone knew or heard anything. There has never been anything like this before here and they can only presume the same its a pommie thing as we actually park on the grass at the front of my sisters so the roadway is clear. My sister is married to an aussie and has a bit of an aussie accent herself nowadays so they presumed she was an ausiie round here. There is one neighbour who always gives funny looks and has had a few parties with his mates and ive heard them shouting out about how great the aussies are. Mind you whenever i am about they say nothing and dissapear indoors. If it is them wish they would pop over and speak face to face they obviously have no balls though.
Anyway we will be out of here tomorrow or by saturday at the latest and well away from the northern suburbs or at least this place. We have decided to stay for 1 year then probably head home and make the most of our time here by traveling to Sydney, Cairns, Melbourne and possibly Perth (inbetween work) before going back. If it gets better we may even stay a bit longer. I think one thing is for sure we will not be here when we retire but gonna make the most of the time we are here. Oh yer meant to mention my 3 year old daughter has a slight aussie accent after 3 weeks at school so at least she has settled well
Thanks again to all of you for your comments its been a great help to us all, we will be offline for at least a couple of weeks till our stuff arrives but be back on here soon
Cheers for now

Mark, Jo and Georgia
Old May 31st 2006, 10:46 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greggsy
Thanks again to all of you for your comments its been a great help to us all, we will be offline for at least a couple of weeks till our stuff arrives but be back on here soon
Good plan. Take things easy, each day at a time - it's impossible to feel settled immediately.

Incidentally - I reckon you might by psychic !
Old May 31st 2006, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich
No, no direct racism, mind you we are a mixed race family UK/AUS however have noticed some areas, baysides probably one of them that the amount of poms arriving is getting to saturation point, last time we were down there aussie rels called it the pom invasion, probably highlighted by a lot of poms sticking together and not really mixing in. Not saying your doing that at all, but it does happen, suppose aussies look at that type of scene as people in the UK looked at indians/africans in the 70's.

A few people have commented on it on the forum too, recently about bayside and renths amusing view of north perth. Footy shirts, manchester accents, curry houses, and pommy themed number plates

Once you rent just stick the car in the double garage.
Well thats strange.

We live in the Bayside, which incidentally covers many areas, and where I live I only know of one other Expat, and he's a moderator on this site.

I have NEVER seen ANY Expats, walking around with football shirts on, only those that are playing friendly matches with Aussies, Kiwi's, Brits etc. Nor have I heard a Manchester accents everywhere, although there is a curry house

In the two years we've been here none of our cars or property have been damaged. Nor have we ever encountered anything olther than goodwill from any Aussies. And we have Aussie number plates.

And we live here.

Funny that.

Seems like we live in a parallel world

To Gregsy: Please don't give up based on a few bad incidences. Maybe you need to try living somewhere else on the Bayside as not all areas are the same. Also, find out for yourself rather.

Good luck, whatever you decide
Old May 31st 2006, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's hard but you really need to keep your chin up and smile and just keep thinking how much better a person you are than the mindless vandals who think its very funny to damage other peoples property. As much as I may dislike someone I would never stoop that low.

I hope things get better and you decide to stay cos not everyone is like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.