Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cars to Oz Roll on roll off

Cars to Oz Roll on roll off

Old Oct 10th 2005, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

lovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nice
Default Cars to Oz Roll on roll off

A friend of mine is going to Oz for a few months and wondered if you could take a car with you but not by container. They wondered if you could do it on a roll on roll off ferry.
Strange but has anyone tried to do this or any idea of price.
Any help appriciated
Josie
Old Oct 10th 2005, 4:22 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cars to Oz Roll on roll off

Originally Posted by lovealot
A friend of mine is going to Oz for a few months and wondered if you could take a car with you but not by container. They wondered if you could do it on a roll on roll off ferry.
Any help appriciated
Josie

surley this has to be a wind up
Old Oct 10th 2005, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

lovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nice

No there deadley serious and I thought a little mad but they asked me to ask and I have
Old Oct 10th 2005, 4:35 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

No there deadley serious and I thought a little mad but they asked me to ask and I have
By-the-way, if your friend is serious, then he is more than a "little mad"! Tell your friend that Oz is a loooong way away (9,000 to 12,000 miles depending on which "side" of Oz you're going to) and there are no ferries going there.

Gina
Old Oct 10th 2005, 4:41 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

apart from the fact that i dont believe there is such a ferry
logisticaly it would be silly in the extreme to say the least

1 you would have to set of 6 to 8 weeks prior to arriving in oz -- providing of course that the customs man would let you alight without a full steam clean etc

2 the cost if possible would run to a couple of thousand pounds each way

3 you would have to insure it with an australian insurer

4 whilst the cost of an average car hire for two months inc
insurance is only 50$ per day approx £22 x 60 days = £1320

5 and it would take a further 6 to 8 weeks to get your car home after the visit

surley this really is a windup

have i been had
Old Oct 10th 2005, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry for asking but not really the answers I was looking for. I had hoped Id hear from someone who maybe knew the ways to do this or if at all it was possible.
At the end of the day i was trying to find an answer to a question and not to be shot at the first hurdle. Sorry, Im just the messenger
Old Oct 10th 2005, 5:05 pm
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Well, I know nowt about this, but alas, after using the 'least common sense' - common sense itself, I have deduced that this is indeed possible.

What your friend in fact is trying to do is - literally, drive ALL the way to Oz utilising ferries along the way (just like the P&O ones we use to go to France)!

Is this person emmigrating? If so, what a wonderful way to lumber yourself with a once in a lifetime adventure by driving half way round the world!!

NUTTER!!!!!

More money than sense?
hmmmmmm......................

He may want to swing by here and have a chat with these guys first though!

:scared:

Sorry for asking but not really the answers I was looking for. I had hoped Id hear from someone who maybe knew the ways to do this or if at all it was possible.
At the end of the day i was trying to find an answer to a question and not to be shot at the first hurdle. Sorry, Im just the messenger
Old Oct 10th 2005, 5:05 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

No worries, lovealot. I didn't want to offend you or hurt your feelings. Sorry. Maybe in a little while you can also see why your friend's question was funny.

The answer is still the same: there are no roll-on-roll-off ferries to Australia.

Gina
Old Oct 10th 2005, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

Any help appriciated
Josie
Just ignore them all, they're just jealous they never thought to ask.
Can't tell you for sure about UK, but there's no real difference in theory, to what is happening to my car.
It's is going roll on roll off from New Zealand to Melbourne tomorrow. It gets taken away on a car transporter a few days before the boat leaves and they steam clean it here. It's on a boat (Not sure you could call it a ferry as such, but the description is roll on/roll off, ie, it doesn't get put on by crane) for 7~10 days, three days after that I should get it in melbourne.
There is no guarantee they will not insist on it being cleaned again by AQIS, you need a bit of luck there apparently.

I am not sure of the details yet, its all arranged by the shipping company. It was far cheaper than putting the car in a container.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice

Any help appriciated
Josie
The roll on roll off ferry your friend is referring to is the car transported ships, that are used for all the manufacturers importing cars to Oz. If he could transport his car it would be like hitching a ride with a boatload of new Jags, Mercs, for example. This option is normally cheaper than a container - and how I would be importing my car personally from Japan to OZ, but we've space in the container..

...but I don't think that the UK is exporting too many cars to Oz, any Ro-Ro's would be going from Europe - and as such there would extra cost getting your car to the port.

As has already been mentioned the time there and back would be a limiting factor also, as well as all of the extra customs costs. Best bet would be to buy something second hand, and then sell it on again at the end of the few months in Oz.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

At last, someone taking this seriously. Well I just hope that the other poeple who answered my post with sarcasm will read these replies with information worth hearing. I will pass on your replies to my friends and fortunate for them money is no object, and they dont need to emigrate as they have dual citizenship but they have a car that they love and want to take it with them so whats the problem. Thanks again and yes,, I should have said a car transporter as thats what they meant im sure
Josie
Old Oct 11th 2005, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

ginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond repute

At last, someone taking this seriously. Well I just hope that the other poeple who answered my post with sarcasm will read these replies with information worth hearing. I will pass on your replies to my friends and fortunate for them money is no object, and they dont need to emigrate as they have dual citizenship but they have a car that they love and want to take it with them so whats the problem. Thanks again and yes,, I should have said a car transporter as thats what they meant im sure
Josie
Hi, it's not a bad idea, we went to New Zealand for 9 months and took our car with us purely with the intention of driving it around and then selling it when we left. We made about £2,000 profit on the price we had paid for it 18 months previously with deductions included for shipping etc. The market for quality import cars is hot both in Aus and N.Z. We are now thinking of moving to Australia and will definitely do it again as the sums seem to add up.

I am not sure if you friends intend on selling it when they leave, the only disadvantage I can think of is if the ship gets delayed.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 9:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Actually going by car ferry to Australia sounds quite good - remembering ferry trips to France, park your car, then spend the time in the bars and restaurants........lovely way to travel!
Old Oct 11th 2005, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Actually going by car ferry to Australia sounds quite good - remembering ferry trips to France, park your car, then spend the time in the bars and restaurants........lovely way to travel!
I did a ferry from Aberdeen to Shetland. 12 hours in a bar. I doubt I could last 6 weeks though, but I could give it my best shot.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 8:52 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Any help appriciated
Josie
Lovealot,
not as mad as it sounds, certainly no need to shout you down for it.

How do you think the big car companise ship cars around the world
($500 uk to USA for shipping a vehicle) They take more care of the car's than sticking it in a container on the deck.

Remember you could alway's fly your car to Oz, not as mad as it sounds, @$5000 per car from Birmingham to USA.

Bye
Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.