Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

cars - new or second-hand

cars - new or second-hand

Old Sep 17th 2004, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of
Default cars - new or second-hand

We are wanting to buy a large 4x4 when we arrive in oz. For those that have experience of buying in oz: would you recommend brand new or nearly new? We have always bought cars a few years old in UK. Thanks
Rachel
Old Sep 17th 2004, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cars - new or second-hand

Originally Posted by RReed
We are wanting to buy a large 4x4 when we arrive in oz. For those that have experience of buying in oz: would you recommend brand new or nearly new? We have always bought cars a few years old in UK. Thanks
Rachel
Hi Rachel,

We were in a similar situation. We investigated auctions and things, but decided that the safest option was to go for new. I have never bought a new car in my life, always thought it was stupid because cars lose 30% of their value in the first year etc. But...

New country, new life, new environment, it seemed safer to buy a new car that wouldn't let us down. All I can say is I'm happy with the decision so far. If you decide to buy new, just remember you can haggle really hard with dealers, and once you've got them as low as they will go, ask for all the extras thrown in They WILL do it. Just threaten to leave and 'think about it'

Having said all that, I was tempted by the qfleet government auctions, and if anyone has experience of that, it would be interesting.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Sep 18th 2004, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Bump!
Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Hi Rachel,

We were in a similar situation. We investigated auctions and things, but decided that the safest option was to go for new. I have never bought a new car in my life, always thought it was stupid because cars lose 30% of their value in the first year etc. But...

New country, new life, new environment, it seemed safer to buy a new car that wouldn't let us down. All I can say is I'm happy with the decision so far. If you decide to buy new, just remember you can haggle really hard with dealers, and once you've got them as low as they will go, ask for all the extras thrown in They WILL do it. Just threaten to leave and 'think about it'

Having said all that, I was tempted by the qfleet government auctions, and if anyone has experience of that, it would be interesting.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Sep 18th 2004, 10:56 am
Badge

If I had the money I would buy a car 1 or 2 years old.

I have an old vehicle - the advantage here is the mechanics are simple enough you can do things yourself - I've a mate who is teaching me a load of stuff.

My ute was 20k less than a new one - even if I spend 1k a year on faults and fixing problems it will take 20 yrs to spend what I would to do to buy that new one - and by then I'll get something else..this is a medium term plan - by then I will be able to afford that nearly new one..

also it seems to me that vehicles last so long that even a 3-5 year vehicle is hardly old..I have never owned a car newer than 7 years and many I drive for years. I do regular oil changes religiously.

BM

Last edited by Badge; Sep 18th 2004 at 10:59 am.