Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cars - do Auto or Manual retain value better

Cars - do Auto or Manual retain value better

Old Nov 3rd 2010, 11:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cars - do Auto or Manual retain value better

Originally Posted by EvannTel
With a DSG box? Better fuel consumption, better performance and just like having an Auto AND a manual at the same time.
I have DSG in my diesel Jetta and I'm impressed. It has better fuel economy than my previous manual Golf diesel - despite having 20% more power. The ability to go into 'manual' is fun, but kind of pointless considering that it has a 'sport' automatic setting.

I'm loving the Jetta.

Last edited by Amazulu; Nov 3rd 2010 at 12:22 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 11:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I'm looking for a 5 door to replace my Barina. The key for me is fuel economy but I want quality too. I test drove the new VW Polo a few weeks ago (4.5l/100km) and I was sold straight away!
The new Polo is great - buy one!
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I don't know where you get this from because it's not true. Loads of cars - especially small cars - are manual.
Yes indeed. And most people still want to know how to drive a manual. Even Americans like to learn 'stick'. I would choose manual for a sporty car (for myself) and auto for a family car. Different uses.

Originally Posted by Petals
We all drive Autos in our family, who wants to change gear every five minutes, lights in Melbourne are dire.
Originally Posted by DeadVim
We specifically wanted a second-hand manual and they were rarer than the autos for the model we wanted so I guess it depends on supply and demand ...

I still prefer the feeling of being 'in control' to a slushmatic waftalong drive but I can see the appeal on the average commute.
One thing that moving to Australia impressed on me was that an automatic gearbox wedded to a decent sized engine was actually no disaster - indeed even pleasurable and gearboxes are better now. I'm glad my wife has a automatic - makes the stress of driving with kids a lot easier for us both.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 1:11 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I have DSG in my diesel Jetta and I'm impressed. It has better fuel economy than my previous manual Golf diesel - despite having 20% more power. The ability to go into 'manual' is fun, but kind of pointless considering that it has a 'sport' automatic setting.

I'm loving the Jetta.
Juts sold my turbo petrol Jetta with DSG. Loved it. For the seldom times I got mischievous I reckoned manual was better than sport.
I know my boss had a diesel Jetta and had to use sport at times as he said it could be a but tardy at times off the start. Surprised me as he is the slowest driver ever!
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 1:14 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3
So no clear answer then!

Thinking of the Hyundai i30CW diesel. The fuel consumption on the manual is staggeringly low, which is the main reason for buying it. Husband refers manual, I'm not fussed. I keep thinking that it'll be better for our son to learn in, but he's only 3 so I doubt the car will last that long
I have had an i30 diesel manual slx for three years. Best thing I ever did was to buy that car. The SW doesn't have a manual option. On a run to melbourne and back we get 4.8L/100klms. (with the air con on)
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 2:46 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Juts sold my turbo petrol Jetta with DSG. Loved it. For the seldom times I got mischievous I reckoned manual was better than sport.
I know my boss had a diesel Jetta and had to use sport at times as he said it could be a but tardy at times off the start. Surprised me as he is the slowest driver ever!
Launch control is good fun too!
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 9:10 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

With a DSG box? Better fuel consumption, better performance and just like having an Auto AND a manual at the same time.
Actually the DSG is slightly higher fuel consumption (4.7l). I did test drive the DSG and it was like shit off a shovel, couldn't believe this was one of the most economical cars on the market. I just have an aversion to autos myself
Old Nov 4th 2010, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Fog lights? Get much fog in Perth? Never seen any when I've been there.....
Old Nov 4th 2010, 1:42 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3
Fog lights? Get much fog in Perth? Never seen any when I've been there.....
My pet hate..fog lights. We get some down here but not much. But if you need front fog lights turned on, then need rears as well. Which aren't obligatory - not in Victoria anyway - and they aren't fitted to most cars.