Cars

Old Apr 4th 2012, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all
Default Cars

Hi

Now starting to think about what car to buy...
A few questions:

In Melbourne, where is a good place to look for quality second hand cars?

Dont have model in mind but want a compact SUV, not too expensive to run, not too old, good for road trips. Any suggestions to research that maybe dont have over here?

Budget, probably up to 20k (eek, never paid that much for a car..)

Not a snob but dont want kids laughed at for Mummy's car!!

Thanks
Old Apr 4th 2012, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all
Default Re: Cars

Does anyone drive a Ford Escape?
Old Apr 4th 2012, 7:48 am
Just Joined

Nikko is an unknown quantity at this point

We will be making the move in approx 10-12 weeks and have been looking at cars to get an idea of price. One place i have found is http://www.carcity.com.au/

Also try www.carsales.com.au if you have not looked already.

Nick.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest to look at buying from a dealer, one reason being the paperwork is done for you! Car City, as mentioned already, would be good to have a look around, but I would lean towards going to local dealers.

Remember that some prices will not include stamp duty - if it's a dealer and says "drive away, no more to pay" then it's included, if it doesn't say that then it may not be included (depends on dealer). This page on VicRoads indicates what charges need to be paid by the buyer.

The Car Sales website mentioned is a good site to get a feel for likely prices in Melbourne.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

If buying privately (and sometimes from independent dodgy dealers ), it is often worth asking the RACV to check the car. It cost us about $100 6 years ago but we had the guarantee that the car was in good condition. You wouldn't do it for every car you see but definitely for one you are serious about buying. Also, always check with Vicroads that the VIN(vehicle identification number) is registered with them and that the car is free of any liabilities. They can check whether the car has money owing on it and by whom I think.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 9:28 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

You may wish to consider a car converted to LPG as this will reduce your running costs. Several 4x4s have been converted as they have the height to put the tank under the car.

BB
Old Apr 5th 2012, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

Sianystar is a jewel in the roughSianystar is a jewel in the roughSianystar is a jewel in the roughSianystar is a jewel in the roughSianystar is a jewel in the rough

we are heading back to the Uk in approx. 8 weeks ish and I have a 4 year old Hyundai Tucson I'll be selling (amongst other stuff like fridge freezer etc!)
Pm me if you might be interested in anything and I can send you a list of things we're selling