Cars

Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cars

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
As most have said the choice will be Ford, Holden (Vauxhall) or some Asian motor. The Ford (Falcon) and Holden (Commodore) will be the obvious choice along with the Toyota (Camry or Aurion). You could also look at the VW (Passat) which is well priced along with the Lexus if you want a little more luxury. You seem to pay a premium for most European cars which make the above models more attractive.
40-80k would get you something alot better than a bloody Camry!!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
That's for sure.

For that money my choices would be:
Land Rover Discovery
VW Passat
Alfa 159 JTD
VW Golf R32
VW Toereg (sic)
That big Chrysler

Among others.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future

Try this:

http://www.carsales.com.au/

or some of these

www.toyota.com.au
www.nissan.com.au

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/

you get the idea

have to say I quite like the Toyota aurion for a car or Landcruiser if you wan 4x4
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:27 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

If he's looking at the bottom range of that price scale it wont stretch to much further than a Camry (30k-40k) or a Aurion (35k-40k). The VW is an option but that starts at 40k running through to 57k.

Why dont you put some ideas forward for the OP i'm sure we are all dieing to hear them!

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

DCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really nice

red ones go faster.

Seriously 40 - 80 would give you a large range to look through.

Do you want a hatchback, convertible or sedan.
Car, SUV or 4x4.
Petrol, diesel or LPG.
Local or import.
FWD, RWD or AWD.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:36 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I'd go Subaru.

Less "look at the asshat in the BMW/Merc" comments and a much better and safer drive for our, frankly crap road surfaces. Awesome resale value and reasonable servicing. Good reputation and the AWD and boxer engine combo is hard to beat for handling.

Liberty GT is midsize and heaps and heaps of fun whilst looking good and not too racy or OTT.

Bear in mind that the mentality with cars here is somewhat different. Owning a Euro prestige mark (BM, Merc etc) is not usually a good thing overall.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:06 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glenn Stevens
Does anyone recommend which makes of cars are best in Australia.

Looking for mid range prices.
$40,000 - 80,000

Thank you,

Glenn
www.carsguide.com.au
Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

ulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant future

That budget will get you something quite nice here. My advice, work out how long you intend to hold on to the vehicle for with resale value and buy something that will hold its value better than average. Ford and Holden are 2 a penny and depreciate very very fast but are easy to get parts for.

Good post by MartinH

Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:59 am
There is no "U" in Qantas

MisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really nice

Originally Posted by ulpul
That budget will get you something quite nice here. My advice, work out how long you intend to hold on to the vehicle for with resale value and buy something that will hold its value better than average. Ford and Holden are 2 a penny and depreciate very very fast but are easy to get parts for.

Good post by MartinH

Fords and Holdens do lose their value very quickly as they are sold to fleets with huge discounts. Here are some examples for you:

2004 Ford Fairmont cost $42,570.00 new, now worth $14,050.00 as a trade in - new model coming out this year.

2004 Holden Berlina cost $42,390.00 new, now worth $16,100.00.

2004 Toyota Camry Sportivo V6 cost $38,990.00 new, now worth $16,850.00

2004 Mazda6 Luxury Sedan cost $38,940.00 new, now worth $23,400.00 - new model coming out this year

2004 Honda Accord V6 cost $39,990 new, now worth $22,900.00 (My Car) - new model coming out this year

2004 Volkswagen Passat V5 cost $49,990.00 new, now worth $23,000.00

Judging by this small example the way to go (in terms of retaining value) is the mid range Japanese models. Even buying a European car is no guarantee of retaining maximum value. By the way I'm not an anorak, I work in Fleet Management so I need to know this stuff!!

source: www.redbookasiapacific.com

</IMG>
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:10 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Centurion
Personally I'd go Subaru.

Less "look at the asshat in the BMW/Merc" comments and a much better and safer drive for our, frankly crap road surfaces. Awesome resale value and reasonable servicing. Good reputation and the AWD and boxer engine combo is hard to beat for handling.

Liberty GT is midsize and heaps and heaps of fun whilst looking good and not too racy or OTT.

Bear in mind that the mentality with cars here is somewhat different. Owning a Euro prestige mark (BM, Merc etc) is not usually a good thing overall.
Aye, get a Suburu Forester for about $45K and save the other $35K for impending interest rate rises ...

Our next car will be a Scooby.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

warponydestroyer will become famous soon enoughwarponydestroyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MisterTwo
Fords and Holdens do lose their value very quickly as they are sold to fleets with huge discounts. Here are some examples for you:

2004 Ford Fairmont cost $42,570.00 new, now worth $14,050.00 as a trade in - new model coming out this year.

2004 Holden Berlina cost $42,390.00 new, now worth $16,100.00.

2004 Toyota Camry Sportivo V6 cost $38,990.00 new, now worth $16,850.00

2004 Mazda6 Luxury Sedan cost $38,940.00 new, now worth $23,400.00 - new model coming out this year

2004 Honda Accord V6 cost $39,990 new, now worth $22,900.00 (My Car) - new model coming out this year

2004 Volkswagen Passat V5 cost $49,990.00 new, now worth $23,000.00

Judging by this small example the way to go (in terms of retaining value) is the mid range Japanese models. Even buying a European car is no guarantee of retaining maximum value. By the way I'm not an anorak, I work in Fleet Management so I need to know this stuff!!

source: www.redbookasiapacific.com

</IMG>
great post - thanks. But whats wrong with being an anorak?
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:19 am
There is no "U" in Qantas

MisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really nice

Originally Posted by warponydestroyer
great post - thanks. But whats wrong with being an anorak?
OK I admit I am a car anorak but it is useful in my job.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

DCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really nice

I have a Subaru for almost 5 years now and the thing has not gone wrong once, not even a squeak or a stutter, it's been absolutely faultless.
I have an Impreza but I'd recommend a Liberty as the Impreza is getting a bit small for my growing family.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
If he's looking at the bottom range of that price scale it wont stretch to much further than a Camry (30k-40k) or a Aurion (35k-40k). The VW is an option but that starts at 40k running through to 57k.

Why dont you put some ideas forward for the OP i'm sure we are all dieing to hear them!
I didn't say the Camry wasn't around this price range, I said you can get alot bloody better for that sort of money.

You can get a 2 year old 320i Beamer for around $40k. Certainly a much better car.