Cars

Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Glenn Stevens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cars

Does anyone recommend which makes of cars are best in Australia.

Looking for mid range prices.
$40,000 - 80,000

Thank you,

Glenn
Old Feb 11th 2008, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cars

Glenn,

Can you let us know what type of car you want (4WD, 4 door sedan, 4 door sedan sports etc etc) Your price range includes many great cars.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
Glenn,

Can you let us know what type of car you want (4WD, 4 door sedan, 4 door sedan sports etc etc) Your price range includes many great cars.
I have no idea what sort of car to be honest.
No idea what models are available.

Do all Aus cars come with air conditioning?

My partner is looking at Audi TT's and BMW 1 series in the UK.
I teach karate so a comfortable car that can fit all my karate stuff/golf clubs in it would be great.
Dont need anything sporty, just need reliable and comfortable.

Glenn
Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

warponydestroyer will become famous soon enoughwarponydestroyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Glenn Stevens
I have no idea what sort of car to be honest.
No idea what models are available.

Do all Aus cars come with air conditioning?

My partner is looking at Audi TT's and BMW 1 series in the UK.
I teach karate so a comfortable car that can fit all my karate stuff/golf clubs in it would be great.
Dont need anything sporty, just need reliable and comfortable.

Glenn

40 - 80 K to spend on a motor and no idea. WTF is the world comming to.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by warponydestroyer
Very helpful reply, thank you.

Have loads of ideas if in the UK, but dont know what cars are available in Australia or if they are equivelant price.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:14 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

$40,000 - 80,000

Thank you,

Glenn
4 wheel drives seem to be popular here, although not my choice of car
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:16 pm

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by warponydestroyer
I agree a bit uncalled for. Go be a numty somewhere else
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:18 pm

Maybe if you had a look at this site it may give you ideas of the sorts of cars available some prices.

http://www.ahg.com.au/

You'll find new and used cars on here,

Good luck
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

You could also try www.drive.com.au
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

Here is a bit of reading for you glen

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511241

Give you some idea of what people drive
Old Feb 11th 2008, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

We have just bought two cars so I can help you out a little bit although we moved from Continental Europe where the price of cars is different from the UK.

There are a couple of things we noticed. Particularly German cars are very expensive when you compare to their European equivalent i.e. a base level Audi TT is around $70,000 up to around $90,000 for the equivalent top spec 3.2. I would have liked an Audi but at the end of the day they were just too pricey.

BMW's and Mercs tend to be the same although the 1 series not too bad. What really hammers the higher spec cars is that for anything costing more than around $56,000 you incur LCT (luxury car tax) which is 25% extra on all the costs over that lower limit.

In addition, you should note that all the dealer quoted prices generally exclude on the road costs (dealer delivery, registration and stamp duty) which collectively add about 10% to the cost. Therefore when speaking to a dealer make sure you ask about the on the road cost.

For the European cars you will also find (on the downside) that the model range is comparatively limited but (on the plus side) because the cars are being shipped a long way they tend to come with a higher spec than in Europe.

The majority of cars on the road are Japanese and Toyota is the leading manufacturer. You will find that the range and prices of Japanese cars is comparable to Europe and possibly a bit cheaper.

Of the European manufacturers, most are represented and (unlike the other German manufacturers) Volkswagen have prices comparable to those you would see in Europe and therefore their cars seem (to me at least) comparatively good value for money e.g. a Golf Gti (with the same engine as the base TT coupe) costs around $40,000 (again before on the road costs).

Remember also to get a good discount, people here expect to haggle. You could also use one of the fleet car buyer websites. However, even going on your own to the showroom should net you between 5% and 10% off (depending on the popularity of the model you are looking at).

Hope some of that helps.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 11:46 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinH
We have just bought two cars so I can help you out a little bit although we moved from Continental Europe where the price of cars is different from the UK.

There are a couple of things we noticed. Particularly German cars are very expensive when you compare to their European equivalent i.e. a base level Audi TT is around $70,000 up to around $90,000 for the equivalent top spec 3.2. I would have liked an Audi but at the end of the day they were just too pricey.

BMW's and Mercs tend to be the same although the 1 series not too bad. What really hammers the higher spec cars is that for anything costing more than around $56,000 you incur LCT (luxury car tax) which is 25% extra on all the costs over that lower limit.

In addition, you should note that all the dealer quoted prices generally exclude on the road costs (dealer delivery, registration and stamp duty) which collectively add about 10% to the cost. Therefore when speaking to a dealer make sure you ask about the on the road cost.

For the European cars you will also find (on the downside) that the model range is comparatively limited but (on the plus side) because the cars are being shipped a long way they tend to come with a higher spec than in Europe.

The majority of cars on the road are Japanese and Toyota is the leading manufacturer. You will find that the range and prices of Japanese cars is comparable to Europe and possibly a bit cheaper.

Of the European manufacturers, most are represented and (unlike the other German manufacturers) Volkswagen have prices comparable to those you would see in Europe and therefore their cars seem (to me at least) comparatively good value for money e.g. a Golf Gti (with the same engine as the base TT coupe) costs around $40,000 (again before on the road costs).

Remember also to get a good discount, people here expect to haggle. You could also use one of the fleet car buyer websites. However, even going on your own to the showroom should net you between 5% and 10% off (depending on the popularity of the model you are looking at).

Hope some of that helps.
Ford and Vauxhall (called Holden in Oz) are extremely popular and fair value here as they are in UK.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

$40,000 - 80,000

Thank you,

Glenn
You'll get something nice that's for sure. Most of the European brands are here, same goes for Japanese and Korean and a few Yank ones too.
Personally I'd go for a nice 4x4 - Land Rover Discovery for instance.
Try:
www.discountnewcars.com.au for some ideas.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:27 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

http://www.redbook.goauto.com.au/ is my favourite Aussie car site.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:27 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

As most have said the choice will be Ford, Holden (Vauxhall) or some Asian motor. The Ford (Falcon) and Holden (Commodore) will be the obvious choice along with the Toyota (Camry or Aurion). You could also look at the VW (Passat) which is well priced along with the Lexus if you want a little more luxury. You seem to pay a premium for most European cars which make the above models more attractive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.