Wikiposts

Cars

Old Jul 9th 2004, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cars

I was just thinking about all things car related. I was actually surfing Ebay.co.uk looking for my car (it was stolen last week, just wanted to see if the little b**gers were really stoopid and put it for sale, long shot I know)

Anyway that got me looking at ebay.com.au for cars, and finally found other sites like http://www.discountnewcars.com.au and http://www.autotrader.com.au/ .

A couple fo questions spring to mind.

What is the best way of buying a car, probably not a new one to start with, has anyone tried buying on the internet, or private deals. I did a search on the forum, and saw a bit of advice about always offering $2000 less than the asking price and its nearly always accepted.

Also, here in the UK, it is smart to get an AA or RAC guy to check any car over before you buy it, is that standard practice in Oz as well? What are the organizations called in Oz, let me guess, AAA and ARAC?!!

Anything else to worry about when buying a second hand car, or anything different to the process in the UK? Does QLD still not require an MOT?

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jul 9th 2004, 7:35 am

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cars

Originally posted by JackTheLad
I was just thinking about all things car related. I was actually surfing Ebay.co.uk looking for my car (it was stolen last week, just wanted to see if the little b**gers were really stoopid and put it for sale, long shot I know)

Anyway that got me looking at ebay.com.au for cars, and finally found other sites like http://www.discountnewcars.com.au and http://www.autotrader.com.au/ .

A couple fo questions spring to mind.

What is the best way of buying a car, probably not a new one to start with, has anyone tried buying on the internet, or private deals. I did a search on the forum, and saw a bit of advice about always offering $2000 less than the asking price and its nearly always accepted.

Also, here in the UK, it is smart to get an AA or RAC guy to check any car over before you buy it, is that standard practice in Oz as well? What are the organizations called in Oz, let me guess, AAA and ARAC?!!

Anything else to worry about when buying a second hand car, or anything different to the process in the UK? Does QLD still not require an MOT?

Cheers,
JTL
Hiya,

Actually just bought a car in Perth from here over the net.

It is brand new so had to order it. Reason we went for brand new was you can crack a really good deal where the garage pay the stamp duty etc etc so it ended up not being worth buying a second hand one as you still pay stamp on that anyway. I got a yaris for $20,000 all in - here it's £11k on the forecourt. If you put that car into the discount new cars website you will see that's even a better price than they came up with, I just agreed to place deposit then and there if they would include certain extras and meet me on the price.

Pain free process - pick it up when we get there. Go Bananas bought one too!

Max

Old Jul 9th 2004, 7:37 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

What are the organizations called in Oz, let me guess, AAA and ARAC?!!
RAC
Don't think there is an AA ('cept Alcoholics Anonymous. Don't ask how I know that)
Old Jul 9th 2004, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

GengaKev is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I did the same. decide on the model I wanted , emailed every Nissan dealer in the Perth area.

Play them off against each other, ( haggling is so much easier when it's not dove face to face!!). Deposit over the phone by credit card.

I got a Nissan X-Trail, $6000 under book.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 8:24 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by wmoore
RAC
Don't think there is an AA ('cept Alcoholics Anonymous. Don't ask how I know that)
Hi

There is an AA both for cars and drink. I broke down twice last year in cuz's car and they were straight out. I would imagine they have vehicle inspection services too but that's just a guess.

Ask Kong sounds like he's broken down loads of times.

As for buying a car we are buying cheap second hand till find work as casuals. Kong just told me that's maybe the only work we'll find.

Walla
Old Jul 9th 2004, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by maxpaxx
Hiya,

Actually just bought a car in Perth from here over the net.

It is brand new so had to order it. Reason we went for brand new was you can crack a really good deal where the garage pay the stamp duty etc etc so it ended up not being worth buying a second hand one as you still pay stamp on that anyway. I got a yaris for $20,000 all in - here it's £11k on the forecourt. If you put that car into the discount new cars website you will see that's even a better price than they came up with, I just agreed to place deposit then and there if they would include certain extras and meet me on the price.

Pain free process - pick it up when we get there. Go Bananas bought one too!

Max

Interesting idea! You've got me looking at new cars now too. I just couldn't bring myself to buy new in the UK knowing it loses 30% as soon as you drive it off the forecourt. So whats the deal with the garage paying the stamp duty? Is that something you have to negotiate hard for?

How is it going to work when you get there, are you going to have to arrange insurance, and then car tax before you pick the car up?

So many questions, I've only just started thinking about this now, we've been discussing it all night now, the pros and cons of buying new or an old heap for a few months till we understand the market.

The other thing we're thinking of now is what type of car? I know thats a decision we have to make ourselves, but does anyone know good Oz car websites that give reviews of the cars? I've found this one www.autoguide.com.au , any others people would recommend.

Anyone got any comments on 4x4's, good or bad experiences?

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jul 9th 2004, 10:45 am

Interesting idea! You've got me looking at new cars now too. I just couldn't bring myself to buy new in the UK knowing it loses 30% as soon as you drive it off the forecourt. So whats the deal with the garage paying the stamp duty? Is that something you have to negotiate hard for?

How is it going to work when you get there, are you going to have to arrange insurance, and then car tax before you pick the car up?

So many questions, I've only just started thinking about this now, we've been discussing it all night now, the pros and cons of buying new or an old heap for a few months till we understand the market.

The other thing we're thinking of now is what type of car? I know thats a decision we have to make ourselves, but does anyone know good Oz car websites that give reviews of the cars? I've found this one www.autoguide.com.au , any others people would recommend.

Anyone got any comments on 4x4's, good or bad experiences?

Cheers,JTL

http://www.redbook.com.au/default.asp

..Try this

The negotiating seemed almost too easy - wished I had asked for more now!

I figure if you decide what you want and go and test drive it here it's no different buying it over there if it's brand new.

Max
Old Jul 9th 2004, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

JTL,

I bought the X-Trail as it's 2WD on roads ( good on fuel, drives well) and only switches to 4WD when needed.

6 months rego ( road tax to me and you) is included. You pay stamp duty but the dealer will itemise your quote. Just ask for the "drive away price".

In Australia second hand cars are very expensive compared to UK, I couldn't bring myself to pay the money. Now I've got a 3 year warranty and peace of mind.

The dealer is going to suggest a few insurance companys nearer the time. (I don't pick the car up 'til Oct 4th)
Old Jul 9th 2004, 10:54 am

Originally posted by GengaKev
JTL,

I bought the X-Trail as it's 2WD on roads ( good on fuel, drives well) and only switches to 4WD when needed.

6 months rego ( road tax to me and you) is included. You pay stamp duty but the dealer will itemise your quote. Just ask for the "drive away price".

In Australia second hand cars are very expensive compared to UK, I couldn't bring myself to pay the money. Now I've got a 3 year warranty and peace of mind.

The dealer is going to suggest a few insurance companys nearer the time. (I don't pick the car up 'til Oct 4th)
..I found this online insurance brokers you can get a quote - it seems pretty good

http://www.budgetdirect.com.au/

Maxine
Old Jul 9th 2004, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

http://www.redbook.com.au/default.asp

..Try this

The negotiating seemed almost too easy - wished I had asked for more now!

I figure if you decide what you want and go and test drive it here it's no different buying it over there if it's brand new.

Max
I've found cars in Oz are different to UK cars. I had a Hyundai Accent here, the Hyundais in Oz have much spongier suspension, and very different handling, almost American. I think the dimensions were different too. That might be my imagination, but definitely not my imagination about the suspension, .much softer in Oz, car rolls enough to make you feel car sick.

But as a starting point, then yeah, if I can settle on a car I like here that is available in Oz, I would be tempted to just buy it up front.

Thanks,
Cheers,
JTL
Old Jul 9th 2004, 11:01 am

I've found cars in Oz are different to UK cars. I had a Hyundai Accent here, the Hyundais in Oz have much spongier suspension, and very different handling, almost American. I think the dimensions were different too. That might be my imagination, but definitely not my imagination about the suspension, .much softer in Oz, car rolls enough to make you feel car sick.

But as a starting point, then yeah, if I can settle on a car I like here that is available in Oz, I would be tempted to just buy it up front.

Thanks,
Cheers,
JTL
Oh JTL,

I am female! Those little things don't bother me- just the colour!
Old Jul 9th 2004, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by GengaKev
JTL,

GengaKev,

I had a look at the Nissan Xtrail, looks very nice and has everything we want. The wife is a big fan of Japanese cars anyway, build quality, extras, technology etc. So she is quite keen on it as well.

Though as I'm not really a car person (i had a Hyundai accent, that should tell you something!), I've enlisted my brother in law as well. He is into cars in a big way, and can maybe give me some ideas.

We are mostly looking at 4x4's simply cos we want it to be adaptable, and we are planning on having 1 or more dogs in Oz. And we'll need a big car for moving our stuff from rented accomodation to our permanent home, and then buying and moving furniture for the new home etc. Then who knows what the future may throw at us,

Cheers,
JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Jul 9th 2004 at 7:10 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh JTL,

I am female! Those little things don't bother me- just the colour!
Oh as long as its red eh?

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jul 9th 2004, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

JTL,

I was over in Feb to validate and took a day out for test drives.

Compared.
Honda CRV- Bland to nth degree, pricey,well built though
Toyota RAV4- Felt that I'd get stopped at traffic lights, people asking for a demi-wave or tints.
Mitsibishi Outlander- Very shallow boot, not really a 4x4. just an estate really.
Nissan X-Trail- well built, drives great, reasonably priced.

Nissan are doing deals 'til end of July, free roof bars, cargo blind and nets.

The genga man
Old Jul 9th 2004, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

MartinC is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the best ways to buy a 2nd-hand car in Oz is via an auction. Mostly these are ex-govt fleet cars, usually in the Commodore/Falcon class. But you can get a good deal if it's 1 or 2 years old, maybe with 1 year left of the warranty.

4x4s are expensive to run and maintain. Most of them in Oz never get further than the Myers car park. You can always hire a bigger car/van for moving.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.