Cars

Old Jul 3rd 2003, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

mrfrosty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cars

Having been to Australia before I am always surprised by the number of old cars that are still running around the place (Sydney/Melbourne), anyone know the reason why people prefer to drive old beaten up cars to the newer ones?

I've never looked at the price of cars when I have been over there, but are they extremely expensive or something?

Marcus
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 10:17 am
The Tooth Fairy

Lower rust rate.

Old Jul 3rd 2003, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

sundarize is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cars

Originally posted by mrfrosty
Having been to Australia before I am always surprised by the number of old cars that are still running around the place (Sydney/Melbourne), anyone know the reason why people prefer to drive old beaten up cars to the newer ones?

I've never looked at the price of cars when I have been over there, but are they extremely expensive or something?

Marcus

Lower rust rate, for sure.

But there are other reasons ;

There is stamp duty to pay on second hand cars
Although cars have to be road legal, there is no MOT (in SA at least) until such time as it is sold.

The paradox is that new cars are generally cheaper than in the UK (no surprise there) but older ones are more expensive.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

mrfrosty is an unknown quantity at this point

So in other words you can get a new car, and keep it for a long as possible and run it into the ground.

Marcus
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

So in other words you can get a new car, and keep it for a long as possible and run it into the ground.

Marcus

That how it seems!!
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 6:27 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Default old Cars in Oz

You car fans are in for a real treat when you get to Oz.I,m talking 1918 to 1935 these compared to UK are cheap check out World Car Mag My cousin found a circa 1924 Hupmobile in a barn in Queensland put there in 1939 no rust rolled out and the engine could still be turned the owners wife still had the ignition keys hanging up in the kitchen.Also came with four new tyres brought in 1935 still in the brown paper wrapping.C,ant wait to get my copy of W C M.
Old Jul 4th 2003, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mrfrosty

In regard to cars - Why do Brits buy massive 4 x 4's when they arrive! (no offence anyone who has one. I'm just jealous) Does it mean they have big willies? We've only got a crappy 1991 Toyota Camray with rather fetching brown carpet dash board (ala Del Boy Capri Gia style) so my hubbie must be teenie weeny wee.

Diane
Old Jul 4th 2003, 6:46 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Marcus
I think people fell less pressured to always have a new car. I don't think you can tell the age of the car by looking at the number plate either (?)

Private plates are cheap to and not many people have them, I have seen lots with British soccer team names though.
Old Jul 4th 2003, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

porkchop is an unknown quantity at this point

Australia are buying up new cars on a very large scale.
90,000 in June alone. 875,000 for the year.

Predictions are that this will reduce the cost of second hand cars.

PC
Old Jul 4th 2003, 8:33 am
Badge

I plan to buy a 4x4 but not to pose - so that I can use it for transport to farms, to use for casual labouring jobs - to carry equipment, space for luggage - on a long run I plan to get backpackers to help pay for fuel costs(!)...if start a trade it will be useful for that.

Basically I want to keep my options open.

otherwise I'd get a Camry or a Falcon say 5 years old.

badgers

Old Jul 4th 2003, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Thats funny. We plan to get a stonkin big 4x4 when we arrive. Must mean we're pommy Brits!!

I think the main reason is that you compare the price that you would have paid back in Blighty ;

For instance, I saw on the net a new Toyota Landcruiser Prado for eqivalent of £15,800. Same car in UK would be £28,000

Similar sort of savings on Nissan Patrols etc.

The euro motors, especially German ones seem to be about the same, if not slightly more in Oz. I would guess that most Expats buy Japanese cars as they seem good value to us.
Old Jul 4th 2003, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by renth
I think people fell less pressured to always have a new car. I don't think you can tell the age of the car by looking at the number plate either (?)

Private plates are cheap to and not many people have them, I have seen lots with British soccer team names though.

Thats a good point, Renth.

One of the things we can't stand in Britain is the worship of the holy Teutonic Trinity - that is Merc, BMW, Porsche.

I was offered a BMW 3 series as a company car but instead plumped for a Nissan Narava Pickup.

Tax on the BMW would have been £110 per week.
On the truck its £3.85

But still my workmates take the piss out of my "Gypsy wagon".

Funny that when we go anywhere, they all want to go in mine though.

The sight of dozens of guys on Sunday mornings washing their BMWs outside their identical houses (4 beds, detached but too small for two flat fish to f@*k) make me despair.

I hope youre right that theres less pressure to be "seen" Its pathetic in the extreme in Britain.
Old Jul 4th 2003, 9:03 am
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

In regard to cars - Why do Brits buy massive 4 x 4's when they arrive! (no offence anyone who has one. I'm just jealous) Does it mean they have big willies? We've only got a crappy 1991 Toyota Camray with rather fetching brown carpet dash board (ala Del Boy Capri Gia style) so my hubbie must be teenie weeny wee.

Diane [/QUOTE]

Probably, I have a Toyota Landcruiser and will buy another as soon as we get to Oz. I like to offroad, also I have 4 big kids to run around, it's nice to have a bit of space whilst travelling.

Slater
Old Jul 4th 2003, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: old Cars in Oz

Originally posted by yafm
You car fans are in for a real treat when you get to Oz.I,m talking 1918 to 1935 these compared to UK are cheap check out World Car Mag My cousin found a circa 1924 Hupmobile in a barn in Queensland put there in 1939 no rust rolled out and the engine could still be turned the owners wife still had the ignition keys hanging up in the kitchen.Also came with four new tyres brought in 1935 still in the brown paper wrapping.C,ant wait to get my copy of W C M.

Hey, so there is a classic car scene out there. I searched high and low on the net but was dissapointed that there seems to be no interest in this.

What youve said has cheered me up no end. I would really like to get an old 30's tourer to play with (boys and toys - I know).

I was even thinking of taking one with me but it seems the customs regs are just too much of a nightmare.

I had a trike like the one Billy Connolly had in his World Tour of Australia, but had to sell that too. Was hoping to get another when I arrive, but they seem to be few and far between also.

I'm off now to drink some petrol
Old Jul 4th 2003, 9:27 am
The Tooth Fairy

Don't know what happened to your search. Try this:

Vintage Car Clubs

Heaps including:
Vintage Sports Car Club of Australia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.