Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Carpenters Please Help - to ship or not ?!

Carpenters Please Help - to ship or not ?!

Old Jul 17th 2012, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice
Default Carpenters Please Help - to ship or not ?!

Hi Mr Lois1 here, just wondering whether some carpenters could offer their experience and advise on whether or not to ship all my tools?!

Will definately be taking nail guns, hand tools and cordless drills but is it worth taking all the 110 stuff? Do i ship my chop saw, pneumatic drills, skill saw, routers and planners etc

What have you guys done and was it the right decision?

Thanks for your help/input
Old Jul 17th 2012, 9:56 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carpenters Please Help - to ship or not ?!

Check out this website to get an idea as to the cost of replacing all that gear in Australia, then decide if you want to ship it over. If you are bringing 110V gear then you will also need the transformers as all trade equipment here is 220V-240V.

If shipping carpentry tools be aware that AQIS is almost paranoid about wood coming into Australia - all the tools will have to be cleaned so that not a speck of sawdust shows anywhere. make them look as if they were still in the showroom.

I once brought in a small oak bowl I had turned 20 years earlier from a tree slice: they thought the 4 small symmetrically placed holes in the base might be woodworm instead of the faceplate screw holes that I told them they were and I had to pay to have it fumigated before they would let it into the country.