Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

carpenters and joiners from 1985

carpenters and joiners from 1985

Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:34 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
stephanikka's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 8
stephanikka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default carpenters and joiners from 1985

Hi did anyone else out there complete these in around 1985?
Achieved City and Guilds passes in
Craft Level Carpentry and Joinery
Advanced Craft Level Carpentry and Joinery
Construction Crafts Supplementary Studies
If so could you help with letting me know how the course ran? ie what was taught in year what was taught in year 2 etc.
I have my husbands coursewrok but I need an idea of what he did when.
His apprenticeship was done with his dad, and no-one seems to remember!
stephanikka is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2005, 2:02 pm
  #2  
Loving it in Bundy
 
teach's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Bundaberg, Australia
Posts: 1,775
teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: carpenters and joiners from 1985

Originally Posted by stephanikka
Hi did anyone else out there complete these in around 1985?
Achieved City and Guilds passes in
Craft Level Carpentry and Joinery
Advanced Craft Level Carpentry and Joinery
Construction Crafts Supplementary Studies
If so could you help with letting me know how the course ran? ie what was taught in year what was taught in year 2 etc.
I have my husbands coursewrok but I need an idea of what he did when.
His apprenticeship was done with his dad, and no-one seems to remember!
I wish you luck with this one as I had the same problem finding out about Andrew's course. No one seems to know not even him, lol. We did manage to get a copy of his certs from City and Guilds but were never able to obtain a copy of his indentures. In the end I gave up and applied on my skills alone but at a cost of $100k. Hope you manage to get somewhere on this.
Sarah
teach is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2005, 3:19 pm
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 529
Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: carpenters and joiners from 1985

Originally Posted by stephanikka
Hi did anyone else out there complete these in around 1985?
Achieved City and Guilds passes in
Craft Level Carpentry and Joinery
Advanced Craft Level Carpentry and Joinery
Construction Crafts Supplementary Studies
If so could you help with letting me know how the course ran? ie what was taught in year what was taught in year 2 etc.
I have my husbands coursewrok but I need an idea of what he did when.
His apprenticeship was done with his dad, and no-one seems to remember!
Hi

We have just passed TRA for Carpenter / Joiner, failed first time round owing to lack of independent evidence for training!

It is really important to put in loads of documentation relating to training, trust me, we learn't the hard way.

My husband did his C&G in 1988. We put together a very lengthy document detailing what my husband learn't over the 2 years, I can guide you with this if you need help.

We also tracked down the college where he studied and got a reference confirming the course, length of time on the course, how many hours and a brief description of what he covered.

We got a letter from the National Insurance office confirming stamps were paid at this time proving he was training.

A detailed reference was provided by the guy who trained John on-site. This is vital and it needs to be VERY detailed about what was taught! My Husband's Dad's company also employed him, so it was vital to track this guy down so we had someone independent, rather than his Dad!

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Nikki
Nikki is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2005, 3:47 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
stephanikka's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 8
stephanikka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: carpenters and joiners from 1985

Oh my word!!!
The only training he did was with his dad!
Never any help you can give me would be fabbie!
How did you contact national insurance and how did the college react to having to delve that far back?
Please help as much as you feel comfortable with, I have 4 kids at home and I am finding writing this very stressful as I am constantly having to go and deal with multiple kids of my own plus all the add ons you get from the street too!


Originally Posted by Nikki
Hi

We have just passed TRA for Carpenter / Joiner, failed first time round owing to lack of independent evidence for training!

It is really important to put in loads of documentation relating to training, trust me, we learn't the hard way.

My husband did his C&G in 1988. We put together a very lengthy document detailing what my husband learn't over the 2 years, I can guide you with this if you need help.

We also tracked down the college where he studied and got a reference confirming the course, length of time on the course, how many hours and a brief description of what he covered.

We got a letter from the National Insurance office confirming stamps were paid at this time proving he was training.

A detailed reference was provided by the guy who trained John on-site. This is vital and it needs to be VERY detailed about what was taught! My Husband's Dad's company also employed him, so it was vital to track this guy down so we had someone independent, rather than his Dad!

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Nikki
stephanikka is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:29 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Mudgeeraba, GC
Posts: 230
nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future
Default Re: carpenters and joiners from 1985

If i remember correctly my second year was in 3 parts learning about different types of roof construction ,second fixing (hanging doors,installing skirting & architrave) and using different types of machines in the joinery shop.The third year was more joinery based actually making useful things and the forth year for the advanced crafts was a mixture of both
nik04 is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2005, 5:09 pm
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 529
Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: carpenters and joiners from 1985

Originally Posted by stephanikka
Oh my word!!!
The only training he did was with his dad!
Never any help you can give me would be fabbie!
How did you contact national insurance and how did the college react to having to delve that far back?
Please help as much as you feel comfortable with, I have 4 kids at home and I am finding writing this very stressful as I am constantly having to go and deal with multiple kids of my own plus all the add ons you get from the street too!
Tell me about it, have 3 children of my own!

It took a long time to track college reference, as the college my Husband went to was knocked down and the course transferred somewhere else!

After numerous phone calls, I managed to find someone who was willing to provide basic details required. I had to send a copy of the C&G certificate along with ID, as there records could not confirm that far back, I suppose it is luck of the draw as to how helpful the person is on the end of the phone!

I rang our local National Insurance office who gave me alternative numbers to get a letter confirming records that far back. Again, a helpful lady asked what we wanted and sent it out. Took a good few weeks to arrive!

Try and get a detailed reference from your father-in-law and detail in the stat. dec about his employment and training.

We also had to supply references from customers of jobs John worked on whilst training, not really to confirm about him, more that his Father was in business and carrying out work at that time (A letter from my Father-in-laws Accountant also confirmed that he had been in business for over 30 years!)

Are you using an Agent or going it alone?

Regards

Nikki
Nikki is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.