British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Carpenters jobs in Perth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/carpenters-jobs-perth-753724/)

TONY BRITISH Apr 3rd 2012 5:07 pm

Carpenters jobs in Perth

Hi guys,

I am still in London, but I would love to come to Perth. Can you please tell me is there a lot of work for carpenters now? I am looking at the recruitment sites and there aren't a lot of jobs for carpenters now, is the construction industry slowing down or booming now?
I have read some posts where it took someone 4 months to find a job. Is there that bad :huh:How long did it take you to get a job?

Thanks

jad n rich Apr 3rd 2012 10:02 pm

Re: Carpenters jobs in Perth

Originally Posted by TONY BRITISH (Post 9987293)
Hi guys,

I am still in London, but I would love to come to Perth. Can you please tell me is there a lot of work for carpenters now? I am looking at the recruitment sites and there aren't a lot of jobs for carpenters now, is the construction industry slowing down or booming now?
I have read some posts where it took someone 4 months to find a job. Is there that bad :huh:How long did it take you to get a job?

Thanks

Carpenters (like many tradies) are employed casual on a job to job basis. Usually they put in a price for the job ( very competitive now, rates have really dropped - ) cant tell you the rate in perth, but the undercutting here is fierce.

Once you have licence ( by state maybe not in WA) insurance, Ute, Tools etc you start to tender for work and hope to build a good pool of contacts so you have a chance of stringing jobs together to be employed most of the year.

Dorothy Apr 3rd 2012 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by TONY BRITISH (Post 9987293)
Hi guys,

Thanks

What visa are you coming on?

perth tiger Apr 4th 2012 10:15 am

if your thinking of going in to new home builds be prepared for a lot of downtime. its very quiet out here. if it wasn't for the government building 600 odd new homes it would be even worse.

:)

TONY BRITISH Apr 4th 2012 5:53 pm

Guys, thanks for reply's. I am applying for independend visa. In London is quiet as well and it is difficult to find a permanent or long term job, but if you are self-employed and got CSCS card ("white card") than you can work for the angencies. They pay you £12-£13/hour. The jobs lasts from 1 week to few months and agencies find a new job constantly.
I prefer to work on a new build or commercial-shop fitting rather than maintenance.

One more question guys-here in UK carpenters usually work only with wood and if you have to work with metal studwalls then the steelworkers are doing it. Is it the same in Australia?

Thanks!