Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Carpenters in Brisbane

Carpenters in Brisbane

Old Jul 5th 2007, 1:36 am
Just Joined

Rob.Floyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Carpenters in Brisbane

My name is Rob and i am a 19 year old carpenter from cornwall England. I am looking to move to Australia on my own with a working visa in December. I would be grateful if anybody could give me some infomation on whether its better to ship my tools over or buy them when i get there.
I am planning to fly with Quantas in the later part of December possibly between christmas and the new year, is this a good idea?.
I will be looking to share a house with somebody in an area with plenty of building work around it, any suggestions?
I would be really grateful if anybody could get back to me.

thanks Rob
Old Jul 5th 2007, 1:57 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Carpenters in Brisbane

Originally Posted by Rob.Floyd
My name is Rob and i am a 19 year old carpenter from cornwall England. I am looking to move to Australia on my own with a working visa in December. I would be grateful if anybody could give me some infomation on whether its better to ship my tools over or buy them when i get there.
I am planning to fly with Quantas in the later part of December possibly between christmas and the new year, is this a good idea?.
I will be looking to share a house with somebody in an area with plenty of building work around it, any suggestions?
I would be really grateful if anybody could get back to me.

thanks Rob
hey Rob welcome to the forum
i've got a mate who's a chippy in Bris, from what i recall he came without his tools and then bought or borrowed enough to get by with when he got here
he later on shipped his stuff from the UK because he wanted the good quality stuff he'd acquired over the years
so from this i'd suggest shipping your tools if you're attached to them because you'll end up wanting them in the end, but only if the cost isn't too high
seeing as you'll be on a WHV you'll have to consider getting them shipped back again unless you're stay turns in to something longer

on the flights, you'll find that is an expensive time of year to come as lots of people fly then to be with relatives

house sharing i don't know how you'll go, when i was on a holiday visa 10 years back in sydney it was really easy to find once you get to a hostel and start asking about... you'll probably find others thinking the same thing

good luck with it all