Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Carpenters advice please re car purchase

Carpenters advice please re car purchase

Old Nov 28th 2007, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

King Family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Carpenters advice please re car purchase

Wow!!! Thanks ever so much for all your replies everyone - really helpful!
Old Nov 28th 2007, 8:17 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SBOZ View Post
Where on a chuffin 'Ute' do you put doors, 6x4 sheets,frames,timber, ladders,horses,powertools etc etc etc.... gear professionals use everyday
ahhh sounds like your a jobbing chippie, not a site( contract ) chippie

Originally Posted by the rhinos View Post
hi guys im a carpenter heading out to redcliffe in march with my wife and two kids will probably get a twin cab to start out with until were up and running can anybody give me any info about work etc cheers
www.jobs.com.au plenty of work for good tradies

Originally Posted by philnorris View Post
To be honest I have never ever used a van, I only have 2 big tools boxs and a small one for chisels etc.

Although I do see more and more lads using vans these days, the guy I used to work for has a fleet of the stupidly long Merc Sprinter vans, 1 for each chippy. so much wasted space and diesel.
totally agree
Old Nov 28th 2007, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

I would say a dual cab is the way to go.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

OH in his 4 years here, has been on so many building sites, and those without 4 wd that are stuck on the top of hills, no driveway (yandina way) he has, on many occasions had to use 4 WD after a large rainfall just to get to site. More recently he was at Nambour on the really bad site he had to get up. He was struggling with his 4WD. I would like to see any van try and get up there. He carries all his tools, and he had everything generator, compressor, guns, etc, plus a complete stair case as he works on mainly bespoke houses as he is a stair fitter Having to carry the stairs too and a large tradie trailer onto a dirt site on a hill requires 4WD. The stairs would be too long for a van also.

Oh also surfs and has his board in his tray ! good spot on Moffat or Ann st
Old Nov 29th 2007, 1:17 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au View Post
lol...

I is resisting buying one, only cos i find debs pathfinder ridiculously bloody sluggish compared to my triton.

I may get the new toyota version.. cant thing what its called erm, let me check..

Landcruiser 70 [ link ]

http://www.toyota.com.au/TWR/content/static/28410.jpg
My Navara is the Auto box diesel and my Pathfinder is the manual box. Totally different performance. The ute does potter along once you wind it up (it'll sit comfortably at 120 with lots to spare - allegedly lol) but the Pathfinder can hold it's own on acceleration and top end. Debs Pathfinder is the auto isn't it? We might have both with us on Sunday yet as she has to take her folks to the train station before she comes to Bribie. Rather than me heading back to the car park to pick her up, she might just bring the ute onto the beach as well.

We had one of those Lancruiser thingies here the other day to compare against the new Patrol cab chassis - can't say I was impressed - a very 1970's interior and more expensive.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au View Post
800+ selling my 7x4 trailer, if anyones interested but i want 1k just got full yrs rego, in as new condition

could be got any pics

is it a tradie proper with a ladder rack and all quality locks
Old Nov 29th 2007, 4:04 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 232Bar View Post
My Navara is the Auto box diesel and my Pathfinder is the manual box. Totally different performance. The ute does potter along once you wind it up (it'll sit comfortably at 120 with lots to spare - allegedly lol) but the Pathfinder can hold it's own on acceleration and top end. Debs Pathfinder is the auto isn't it? We might have both with us on Sunday yet as she has to take her folks to the train station before she comes to Bribie. Rather than me heading back to the car park to pick her up, she might just bring the ute onto the beach as well.

We had one of those Lancruiser thingies here the other day to compare against the new Patrol cab chassis - can't say I was impressed - a very 1970's interior and more expensive.
Hey mate,

We will be in the triton on sunday, i wont let her take the Pathfinder on the beach, and yer its a auto. Like ya say, cruising is awesome, but getting there, and when going up hill, sounds like and feels like your towing a 747

The new 70's ( landys ute ) are just a serious workhorse, and i dont know if i can justify paying nrly 60k+ on a friggin ute.
I thought patrol had stop doing their tray back jobby..?
Old Nov 29th 2007, 4:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by rodandhayley View Post
could be got any pics

is it a tradie proper with a ladder rack and all quality locks
lol for 1k you aint gonna get a tradies trailer, lol. Its a 7x 4 std trailer. Bout 2 yrs old max, in exc nick.

It accepts a bolt on tradies back, which you can get from eurpoa trailers, or just trailers or even nathan etc.

My tradies trailer i will be selling, perhaps for about 1500 , its got 4x4 wheels n tryes, new chequer plate floor, is an 8 x 4 , with ladder racks and locks, and extra long a bar. But has rust in side panels.

Mind you its a serious trailer ( i may just keep it for beach camping )

Man cannot have just one tralier lol. I have 3 , and already looking at one for my quad and or lawn tractor.

Mind you, I'd kill for a bobcat !! If anyone has one, gimme a shout
Old Nov 29th 2007, 4:10 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Carrianne View Post
OH in his 4 years here, has been on so many building sites, and those without 4 wd that are stuck on the top of hills, no driveway (yandina way) he has, on many occasions had to use 4 WD after a large rainfall just to get to site. More recently he was at Nambour on the really bad site he had to get up. He was struggling with his 4WD. I would like to see any van try and get up there. He carries all his tools, and he had everything generator, compressor, guns, etc, plus a complete stair case as he works on mainly bespoke houses as he is a stair fitter Having to carry the stairs too and a large tradie trailer onto a dirt site on a hill requires 4WD. The stairs would be too long for a van also.

Oh also surfs and has his board in his tray ! good spot on Moffat or Ann st
Hiya, can totally empathize withya here.

I have the same issue, on site, without 4x4 id be stuffed. Many a time, ive had my mate lob his tools in my ute so we can navigate down or up someones, mountain goat driveway, and he has a rodeo ( but 2x4)
Old Nov 29th 2007, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

these aint bad for the price he`s got plenty of them too
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-7x4-Trade...QQcmdZViewItem
Old Nov 29th 2007, 5:56 am
Banned

these aint bad for the price he`s got plenty of them too
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-7x4-Trade...QQcmdZViewItem
Im not sure where you are, but in Strathpine, theres a guy. who makes these at his place, and sells them. His are awesome !! All heavy duty etc. That one on ebay looks a tad on the lightweight side.

I will quickly look for his addy:

Bells Pocket rd.
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&h...9568&z=15&om=1

Also when buying a trailer, its fundamental, you take the vehicle your gonna tow it with, with you.

Make sure its got a long A bar, also see if wheels are similar height and if poss same stud pattern.

Get a hayman reese or similar heavy duty hitch ( tow bar )

And fgs make sure its got a decent jockey wheel.

Old Nov 29th 2007, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

Oh good i`m only 15 minutes from strathpine I could go and have a look in the morning
Old Nov 29th 2007, 6:57 am
Banned

Oh good i`m only 15 minutes from strathpine I could go and have a look in the morning
yep thats brill..

all ya do, is go down bells pocket rd, he owns about 20 acres down there, if its his land , im thinking of, up for sale for about 5 million !!!

His place is the very corner house on the very corner of the paddock, you will see trailers outside.

Shame ya wasnt in syd, this is a beaut trailer, im currently watching , so i can haul my quad around on...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&ih=006
Old Nov 29th 2007, 7:49 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

van for work, 4X4 for play, no way i'm sitting in anything where OH's has had his tools!
Old Nov 29th 2007, 8:08 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Demeter View Post
van for work, 4X4 for play, no way i'm sitting in anything where OH's has had his tools!
fpmsl...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.