Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Carpenters advice please re car purchase

Carpenters advice please re car purchase

Old Nov 28th 2007, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of
Default Re: Carpenters advice please re car purchase

Originally Posted by Clippies
thanks
Hey Clippies how are you? when you guys heading over?Give me a shout and i'll give you the heads up for whats good and whats bad for the hubby workwise.

Haggis
Old Nov 28th 2007, 7:19 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by King Family
Hi there,

We are flying out to Brisbane and arrive 27th December and we are looking to purchase a vehicle as soon as we can. We will be basing ourselves around Caloundra to start.

We are a family of four (two kids under 2) and my husband is a Carpenter, so this will mainly be used by him for carrrying his tools etc but we will all use it initially as a family vehicle.

We are keen on the Nissan Pathfinder - but not sure about space for my husbands tools. In the UK he uses s Merc Vito van.

Anyone out there got any thoughts on this? Any Carpenters been in a similar situation?

Would be great to have some help - much appreciated!

King Family
do not buy a pathfinder for work...

dont do it lol

we have a pathfinder, and NO WAY would i take it on site !!!

get a dual cab ute.. navara is the best imho , albeit i have a triton ( mitsubitchy )

if your gonna buy new, then get abn, get down the dealers, do some haggling, then get your abn holders discount ! front loaded discount !!

Then just get your family run around when you can.

The Navara is more comfier in the back on longer journeys, and has more leg room. The doors on the rear also open to 90 degrees, which sounds daft but makes a shit load of difference, specially when your hauling boxes etc, the rear seats also fold fwd, so you can whack tools in if you aint got a enclosed rear cab on the tray.

If hes gonna be carting tons of crap around, like timber, then dont buy new, and if you do, then as Gotahavit said, grab a good quality trailer.

Most chippies, actually that I know on site, have the older type rodeos, with alloy tray, that way they can get chopsaw, air compressor on, and leave her running on site on the truck. Dont go for a closed in canopy on back of ute, if hes gonna get a 3hp + compressor for site use, he will get seriously pissed off, and i know of no tradies i work with who have closed the rear of the ute in.

Steve

oops and a bit more. Get a alloy tray back for the ute, instead of the std style side.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 7:29 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au

The Navara is more comfier in the back on longer journeys, and has more leg room. The doors on the rear also open to 90 degrees, which sounds daft but makes a shit load of difference, specially when your hauling boxes etc, the rear seats also fold fwd, so you can whack tools in if you aint got a enclosed rear cab on the tray.
The split rear seat squabs also fold up so you can have the floor clear to dump stuff in. (Can you tell I've got one {for now})
Old Nov 28th 2007, 7:47 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 232Bar
The split rear seat squabs also fold up so you can have the floor clear to dump stuff in. (Can you tell I've got one {for now})
lol...

I is resisting buying one, only cos i find debs pathfinder ridiculously bloody sluggish compared to my triton.

I may get the new toyota version.. cant thing what its called erm, let me check..

Landcruiser 70 [ link ]

Old Nov 28th 2007, 8:21 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies
What's the average price of these trailers?
a lad i know just paid $3000 for a brand new trailer, fully galvanised. big doors on gas struts each side, ladder racks and heaps of storage for tools, a genny etc. a trailer is by far the best option although the dual cab luxs are nice i would head for the tray back version should you choose one.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 8:24 am
Banned

Originally Posted by youngy73
a lad i know just paid $3000 for a brand new trailer, fully galvanised. big doors on gas struts each side, ladder racks and heaps of storage for tools, a genny etc. a trailer is by far the best option although the dual cab luxs are nice i would head for the tray back version should you choose one.
i agree.. but...

I use trailer 3 days per week, and without the remainder, and diesel consumption on the 2 days i dont use the trailer is staggeringly different ..

I use a tradies trailer, slightly modGified... and cos of the shape, the drag at speed must impose a lot of extra strain on me old utes fuelometer !
Old Nov 28th 2007, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

SBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really nice

Didnt go down 'the ute' route myself, why bother??...no room for a proper tradie, if its got a lid then even less space if it hasn't a lid then everything gets wet or nicked ...come on! is it just wanna be an Aussie thing or what...
If you've had a van in the UK why change?...and as for a tradie trailer
Old Nov 28th 2007, 8:38 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

i agree.. but...

I use trailer 3 days per week, and without the remainder, and diesel consumption on the 2 days i dont use the trailer is staggeringly different ..

I use a tradies trailer, slightly modGified... and cos of the shape, the drag at speed must impose a lot of extra strain on me old utes fuelometer !
dont get me started about fuel consumption. i drive an ex telstra hiace 2.4 petrol. 420 kms to a 70 litre tank. its shite.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 8:53 am
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by King Family
Hi there,

We are flying out to Brisbane and arrive 27th December and we are looking to purchase a vehicle as soon as we can. We will be basing ourselves around Caloundra to start.

We are a family of four (two kids under 2) and my husband is a Carpenter, so this will mainly be used by him for carrrying his tools etc but we will all use it initially as a family vehicle.

We are keen on the Nissan Pathfinder - but not sure about space for my husbands tools. In the UK he uses s Merc Vito van.

Anyone out there got any thoughts on this? Any Carpenters been in a similar situation?

Would be great to have some help - much appreciated!

King Family
Nothing wrong with getting another Vito!!

I have one (sparky) and its a 2001 model. Turbo diesel, best van ive owned.

As everyone else says tho most Chippys have utes , but try and get a diesel---heaps cheaper to run..

Ive had a Hiace , and the Express but both were crap..Sat on the engine and with no protection in the event of a crash.

I got the Vito (same price as a Hiace etc) with the added safety in mind.--All nutters over here.

Darren
Old Nov 28th 2007, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

aussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud of

Hi

My OH a chippie and he drives a Navarra older but does the job and some of the sites he's been on def wouldn't want the Pajero doing that daily

Jane
Old Nov 28th 2007, 9:27 am
Banned

Originally Posted by SBOZ
Didnt go down 'the ute' route myself, why bother??...no room for a proper tradie, if its got a lid then even less space if it hasn't a lid then everything gets wet or nicked ...come on! is it just wanna be an Aussie thing or what...
If you've had a van in the UK why change?...and as for a tradie trailer

Each to their own. Ive never seen anyone but sparks use vans on site.
We had 4 boxers back in uk, and although i miss em, i prefer my ute.
As for chippies of any caliber using a van, i have ( in 7 yrs ) never seena chippy with a van ! Ever ! what is the point? unless they live in a dodgy area and are worried about stuff gettin nicked...

lol and as to proper tradie, are you stating, that unless its a van, your improper?

Originally Posted by youngy73
dont get me started about fuel consumption. i drive an ex telstra hiace 2.4 petrol. 420 kms to a 70 litre tank. its shite.
lol one of the lads i work with has the new one, a 6l version.. pmsl.. he reckons its shocker on fuel too.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 10:05 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ---Haggisman---
Hey Clippies how are you? when you guys heading over?Give me a shout and i'll give you the heads up for whats good and whats bad for the hubby workwise.

Haggis
OH you star! We fly to Brisbane New Year's Day

Thanks
Old Nov 28th 2007, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

SBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really nice

Three carpenters on here have vans,only rednecks and yummy mummies have 'utes' up this way
Where on a chuffin 'Ute' do you put doors, 6x4 sheets,frames,timber, ladders,horses,powertools etc etc etc.... gear professionals use everyday, not just on the way to Bunnings. Apart from a cattle mutt, I'd say you're nearly there O crap I forgot the bloody surfboard..thats right every 'proper' tradie takes a surfboard to work

As for chippies of any caliber using a van, i have ( in 7 yrs ) never seena chippy with a van ! Ever ! what is the point? unless they live in a dodgy area and are worried about stuff gettin nicked...

lol and as to proper tradie, are you stating, that unless its a van, your improper?

lol one of the lads i work with has the new one, a 6l version.. pmsl.. he reckons its shocker on fuel too.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

the rhinos will become famous soon enoughthe rhinos will become famous soon enough

hi guys im a carpenter heading out to redcliffe in march with my wife and two kids will probably get a twin cab to start out with until were up and running can anybody give me any info about work etc cheers
Old Nov 28th 2007, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

To be honest I have never ever used a van, I only have 2 big tools boxs and a small one for chisels etc.

Although I do see more and more lads using vans these days, the guy I used to work for has a fleet of the stupidly long Merc Sprinter vans, 1 for each chippy. so much wasted space and diesel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.