Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Carpenter seeking work.

Carpenter seeking work.

Old Jul 29th 2010, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Al and Jacque is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Carpenter seeking work.

Hi, I am a carpenter from Ireland with 18yrs experience, I am trying to find a job before moving over. Was supposed to go in April but due to my fathers health we had to postpone the move. Anyhow if any one knows of any carpenter jobs going please give me a shout. Hoping to move to Melbourne or Brisbane.

Thanks
Alan
Old Jul 30th 2010, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Carpenter seeking work.

not easy mate, I'm in same boat and have worked there before but nobody willing to even discuss until I'm there.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

When I do a search on job sites such as SEEK etc there seems to be plenty of work available, do you think if we were there we would be able to secure work pretty quickly? We are in Northern Ireland and there is absolutely no building work going on and nothing coming up in the near future, and with Autumn and Winter coming things are looking very depressing. Thinking of moving before the kids start back to school in September, have to see if I can sell my cars and motorbike before then.

Alan
Old Jul 31st 2010, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Al and Jacque View Post
Hi, I am a carpenter from Ireland with 18yrs experience, I am trying to find a job before moving over. Was supposed to go in April but due to my fathers health we had to postpone the move. Anyhow if any one knows of any carpenter jobs going please give me a shout. Hoping to move to Melbourne or Brisbane.

Thanks
Alan

Carpenters usually work in gangs of 2 and tender or quote for work. Depending on the state they are going to need a licence, insurance, safety, liablility etc. Truck and tools essential.

If we were employing carpenters its often reputation, gangs who have built up the reputation/experience, done similar jobs.

Really are not that many jobs where your paid a nice easy wage each week, its quote quote and more quoting and stringing enough work together through contacts usually. Most building work in OZ is job to job, your always looking for the next one. Blokes who get a contract for 12 - 18 months work think they have hit gold

You say work is bad there, going into winter, main problems you might hit here are depending on state the big wet, the big heat but you just keep working in that, and the christmas shut down, usually 2/3 works, no pay of course.

Few days ago, paper was saying construction work has a big oversupply of workers but its hardly in 'no work' as you describe in ireland.

Hope that helps.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Are there any tradies on here, who have recently arrived in Australia, who could let us know how they got on?
Old Jul 31st 2010, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the detailed reply J and R
Old Jul 31st 2010, 10:58 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich View Post
Thanks for the detailed reply J and R
Well I appreciated it... even if it had nothing to do with me....

Some people eh, lack of netiquette is shocking.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

ooops sorry Jad n Rich thankyou very much for taking time and effort to reply to my thread.

Alan
Old Jul 31st 2010, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

ooops sorry Jad n Rich thankyou very much for taking time and effort to reply to my thread.

Alan
There ya go mate...
Old Jul 31st 2010, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus View Post
Well I appreciated it... even if it had nothing to do with me....

Some people eh, lack of netiquette is shocking.
I saw the post the other day, saw it again and thought it was a shame nobody had replied, so took the time

I should have learnt by now remember posting a VERY detailed reply once about a school, heaps of info, stuff they couldnt have found from anyone not actually attending the school, no cheers for info, but they had time to start another thread wanting info on housing in the area

From now on I shall reply, get stuffed find out yourself
Old Jul 31st 2010, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alan

Hope it helped.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Are there any tradies on here, who have recently arrived in Australia, who could let us know how they got on?
Might be worth starting a separate thread for that