Reload this Page >

Carpenter- Queensland

Carpenter- Queensland

Old Dec 21st 2007, 8:12 pm
drb
Forum Regular

drb is on a distinguished road
Default Carpenter- Queensland

Hello, as said on previous thread, me and girlfriend are moving to robina area at end of march 2008 and as from reading previous threads, work seems to be plentiful for tradies. Is this true for chippies? And are there 1st and 2nd fix chippies as in UK or does everyone do a bit of everything?
Was also wondering what sort of hours people work as i dont feel like moving to oz in order to do 12 hour days- i might as well do that here!!
I know everyone says the more you work you do,the more you earn etc, but as a bulk standard week am i correct in thinking i'd be earning about $1500/2000 per week?
All answers appreciated
Old Dec 21st 2007, 8:45 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carpenter- Queensland

Originally Posted by drb
Hello, as said on previous thread, me and girlfriend are moving to robina area at end of march 2008 and as from reading previous threads, work seems to be plentiful for tradies. Is this true for chippies? And are there 1st and 2nd fix chippies as in UK or does everyone do a bit of everything?
Was also wondering what sort of hours people work as i dont feel like moving to oz in order to do 12 hour days- i might as well do that here!!
I know everyone says the more you work you do,the more you earn etc, but as a bulk standard week am i correct in thinking i'd be earning about $1500/2000 per week?
All answers appreciated
you could be in for a shock.

-----------------------------

1. lots of work for time served chippies.
2. yep theres different versions, 1st fix ( framers ) 2nd fix, finishing carpenters.
3. hours , well expect to start , leave home 5am and finish about 3pm ( dependant on your capabilities, type of work, distance from jobs, business, and time of year )
4. most employed chippies, I would guestimate are circa 1200+ per week for a good week. Self employed, well always higher... but then continuity averages that out for you.

Many on here would say, shit mate 100k + per year no probs, but as a pom it aint that easy to get your foot in the door.

Certainly dont move here for the money alone, cos you would earn more in uk.
Be prepared to BAKE, chippies have no shade as you know when framing.
Travel can be ridiculous, especially if you base yourself in Robina, and end up working central Brizzy

Ste
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 11:26 am
drb
Forum Regular

drb is on a distinguished road

yeah i thought $2000 per week sounded a bit ambitious! I definately wouldn't be coming over for the money!
Thanks for the advice tho, i hadnt really thought about having to travel to Brisbane to get work, I presumed there would be plenty of work locally to Robina etc
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 7:42 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

There always seems to be plenty of capenter jobs advertised in the Gold Coast Bulletin but as Timber has said it is'nt always that easy to get your foot in the door. OH has been trying to get into kitchen/bathroom fitting for last 6 months!! Be prepared to do a different job while trying to get in there. Good Luck. C x
(we live about 10 mins from Robina)
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 11:52 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiels
There always seems to be plenty of capenter jobs advertised in the Gold Coast Bulletin but as Timber has said it is'nt always that easy to get your foot in the door. OH has been trying to get into kitchen/bathroom fitting for last 6 months!! Be prepared to do a different job while trying to get in there. Good Luck. C x
(we live about 10 mins from Robina)
yeppers !!

I think, you have to be really direct here, and approach the companies direct and say, GIVE ME A GO !
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 11:58 pm
jonah

jonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by drb
as a bulk standard week am i correct in thinking i'd be earning about $1500/2000 per week?
All answers appreciated

I'd continue working your 12 hours a day in UK if i where you.
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

There is loads of work locally on the gold Coast and you can expect $40 per hour and upwards. Start at 6.00am and finish at 3.00pm. Lots of adverts in the papers all of the time and being from the UK is no problem, all they are interested in is your capabilities as a chippy.

You will need to do a blue card health and safety training course for a day before you go on site and to work direct for a builder or a consumer you will need a license which is not that hard when you get here.

Look up Master Builders online.

Mick