British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Carp fishing? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/carp-fishing-767288/)

Emma_Par Aug 5th 2012 9:04 am

Carp fishing?

Hiya,
Looking for some advise, OH goes carp fishing frequently in the uk and as a result has all the equipment from bate boats to bivvys. We are due to move over to Aus in September and are wondering if it's worth taking all the fishing equipment with us or selling it here.
As I know nothing of fishing I don't really know what to do!
Do they do carp fishing in AUS?
Is the equipment any good for other types of fishing? (he has all sea fishing equipment too which we are bringing)

Don't really want to bring all his carp stuff if he won't be able to use it...

Any advise would be great :D

Kadphises Aug 5th 2012 9:13 am

Re: Carp fishing?

They do do carp fishing in Australia, but your OH would have to kill the carp as it is an invasive species and it is illegal (maybe this is state dependent) to release them again.

Tr1boy Aug 5th 2012 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kadphises (Post 10211164)
They do do carp fishing in Australia, but your OH would have to kill the carp as it is an invasive species and it is illegal (maybe this is state dependent) to release them again.

Not ilegal in NSW just 'advisable' IIRC.

As for the carp scene, I'd forget about it. There is an expat club in Sydney that has dispensation for 4 matches a year at the Penrith Regatta ctr for not killing the fish but it's all a bit sad really. I understand the scene is a bit better in Vic re coarse species in the rivers, but the carp scene isn't up to much afaik.

There are plenty of carp in the waters, but they're not pretty and most of all, there aren't the picturesque established and feature packed waters like in the UK. They tend to be bloody great holes in the ground with little shade and and an awful lot of other activity going on.

I'd be selling the equipment if it were me (as I have done in the past when I moved to Oz in 89, and will do again when we return to Oz next year). Depending on the weight of the rods, they could be useful for some coastal work, the Baitrunners could come in handy as some species such as tailor can hit it like a torpedo.

You can take all this with a pinch of salt if you like and others more knowledgable than me will chip in. But in my 'yoof' I was a very keen matchman in Somerset, didn't bother much in Snrs (too much whinging about pools and frames). I switched to coarse and carp, then moved to Oz. Didn't give fishing another thought as I hate fish to eat (the Devil's food:p) and the whole scene really revolves around 'if you can't eat it, why catch it'?

I've gotten back into it a little since coming back to UK, but fishing rates so far down nowadays on my list of things to do after triathlon, cycling and playing guitar that it hardly rates on my radar.

I did have a hankering to 'replicate' my fishing days in Oz a few years back, but the cosiness, venues and general 'vibe' are/were completely missing for me and not worth it.

I'd be selling it, or leaving it here and then seeing what the scene is like and if it's ok for your OH then getting the stuff sent out, or have someone sell it for you. But just because there a ton of carp in the waters doesn't mean it will be enjoyable. Of course for your OH, YMMV.:)

Emma_Par Aug 5th 2012 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Tr1boy (Post 10211405)
Not ilegal in NSW just 'advisable' IIRC.

As for the carp scene, I'd forget about it. There is an expat club in Sydney that has dispensation for 4 matches a year at the Penrith Regatta ctr for not killing the fish but it's all a bit sad really. I understand the scene is a bit better in Vic re coarse species in the rivers, but the carp scene isn't up to much afaik.

There are plenty of carp in the waters, but they're not pretty and most of all, there aren't the picturesque established and feature packed waters like in the UK. They tend to be bloody great holes in the ground with little shade and and an awful lot of other activity going on.

I'd be selling the equipment if it were me (as I have done in the past when I moved to Oz in 89, and will do again when we return to Oz next year). Depending on the weight of the rods, they could be useful for some coastal work, the Baitrunners could come in handy as some species such as tailor can hit it like a torpedo.

You can take all this with a pinch of salt if you like and others more knowledgable than me will chip in. But in my 'yoof' I was a very keen matchman in Somerset, didn't bother much in Snrs (too much whinging about pools and frames). I switched to coarse and carp, then moved to Oz. Didn't give fishing another thought as I hate fish to eat (the Devil's food:p) and the whole scene really revolves around 'if you can't eat it, why catch it'?

I've gotten back into it a little since coming back to UK, but fishing rates so far down nowadays on my list of things to do after triathlon, cycling and playing guitar that it hardly rates on my radar.

I did have a hankering to 'replicate' my fishing days in Oz a few years back, but the cosiness, venues and general 'vibe' are/were completely missing for me and not worth it.

I'd be selling it, or leaving it here and then seeing what the scene is like and if it's ok for your OH then getting the stuff sent out, or have someone sell it for you. But just because there a ton of carp in the waters doesn't mean it will be enjoyable. Of course for your OH, YMMV.:)

Thank mate, that's great. What about his bivvy would you sell or bring would he have any use for it ? :unsure:

Tr1boy Aug 5th 2012 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Emma_Par (Post 10211761)
Thank mate, that's great. What about his bivvy would you sell or bring would he have any use for it ? :unsure:

Without knowing where you are headed, personally I'd sell for a few reasons. It generally doesn't get that cold (probably better for sun protection), they take up a ton of room in the garage/car. And finally, the carp in Oz aren't wily old commons and mirrors that are wary of hair rigs, chods, hinges and such like. You can pretty much whack a chicken on a boat hook and haul in one of those water pigs. These are not educated fish, so night fishing is not really necessary IMO.

I'm sure there are a load of expats that try and replicate the scene, and that might be fine for your OH, but IMO all that gear is just not needed over there.

Emma_Par Aug 5th 2012 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Tr1boy (Post 10211779)
Without knowing where you are headed, personally I'd sell for a few reasons. It generally doesn't get that cold (probably better for sun protection), they take up a ton of room in the garage/car. And finally, the carp in Oz aren't wily old commons and mirrors that are wary of hair rigs, chods, hinges and such like. You can pretty much whack a chicken on a boat hook and haul in one of those water pigs. These are not educated fish, so night fishing is not really necessary IMO.

I'm sure there are a load of expats that try and replicate the scene, and that might be fine for your OH, but IMO all that gear is just not needed over there.

Thanks, I appreciate your feed back. I thought selling it was best following your last post, but thought I'd double check.

We're heading for Brisbane. TBH he's been talking about buying a little boat for sea fishing (sea fishing / carp fishing ? I know what I'd pick, at least we'd eat the se fish :thumbsup:).
I'd much rather he sells his stuff here and gets a better price for it and puts it towards something he can use out there. :thumbup:

Tr1boy Aug 5th 2012 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Emma_Par (Post 10211815)
Thanks, I appreciate your feed back. I thought selling it was best following your last post, but thought I'd double check.

We're heading for Brisbane. TBH he's been talking about buying a little boat for sea fishing (sea fishing / carp fishing ? I know what I'd pick, at least we'd eat the se fish :thumbsup:).
I'd much rather he sells his stuff here and gets a better price for it and puts it towards something he can use out there. :thumbup:

I think that makes much more sense. For one thing if he does the tinny/estuary fishing he'll meet loads of new mates. If he wants to go carp fishing in Brisbane then I think he'd better like his own company :D

Just be aware that in NSW (and I assume Qld) you need a licence even for sea fishing, they are not expensive though.

Emma_Par Aug 5th 2012 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Tr1boy (Post 10211825)
I think that makes much more sense. For one thing if he does the tinny/estuary fishing he'll meet loads of new mates. If he wants to go carp fishing in Brisbane then I think he'd better like his own company :D

Just be aware that in NSW (and I assume Qld) you need a licence even for sea fishing, they are not expensive though.

Thanks, I think someone's got some selling to do :rofl:

Grayling Aug 5th 2012 10:09 pm

No licence needed here in Qld.

Don't sell the rods, reels and line etc.....decent tackle is horrendously expensive here and carp tackle will do fine for landbased fishing.....most of the 12 ft. plus rods here are still made of fibre glass or will require a mortgage to buy.....I use baitrunners and carp rods for shorefishing.
Best fishing is at night so any things like head torches etc. should be brought.

Bivvies etc. not really needed here but it can get chilly at night in winter (when the best shorefishing is to be had) so may as well bring.

There is freshwater fishing here and some huge eels but not really that many carp in Qld compared to further south and what there are are pretty small compared to further south.

4500 Times Aug 6th 2012 12:28 am

I watched some kids fishing a pond near home, and noticed they were catching Carp.
I went back the following week with a Quivertip rod i brought with me and a loaf of bread.....had around 50lb of carp in 3 hrs.....all around the 2lb mark.

Great fun.....needless to say the kids there are now using bread instead of shrimps as a hookbait.

Sweetcorn next for me...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

asprilla Aug 6th 2012 2:53 am

Originally Posted by Emma_Par (Post 10211815)
T

Once he's been out fishing in the bay a few times, he'll forget about those all night carp fishing sessions.

Emma_Par Aug 6th 2012 8:11 pm

I do hope so. I wouldn't mind going shore fishing with him and the kids for the day, however the thought of carp fishing for a weekend, well, let's just say I'd prefer watching paint dry! Lol

Thanks for all your comments ;)

Emma_Par Aug 6th 2012 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 10211938)
No licence needed here in Qld.

Don't sell the rods, reels and line etc.....decent tackle is horrendously expensive here and carp tackle will do fine for landbased fishing.....most of the 12 ft. plus rods here are still made of fibre glass or will require a mortgage to buy.....I use baitrunners and carp rods for shorefishing.
Best fishing is at night so any things like head torches etc. should be brought.

Bivvies etc. not really needed here but it can get chilly at night in winter (when the best shorefishing is to be had) so may as well bring.

There is freshwater fishing here and some huge eels but not really that many carp in Qld compared to further south and what there are are pretty small compared to further south.

Thanks Grayling, much appreciated :thumbsup: