Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Carine v Willetton v Kalamunda

Carine v Willetton v Kalamunda

Old May 9th 2009, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

Julian01 is just really niceJulian01 is just really niceJulian01 is just really niceJulian01 is just really niceJulian01 is just really niceJulian01 is just really niceJulian01 is just really niceJulian01 is just really niceJulian01 is just really nice
Default Carine v Willetton v Kalamunda

Hi all,

Just wanted some opinions on the pros and cons of the Perth suburbs Carine, Kalamunda and Willetton.
I have some experience of Carine and Kalamunda as we have friends there and visited them in 08. I love Kalamunda (much more character) but we have penciled in living in Carine (much closer to the Ocean) when we come over in Dec 09.
Our friends have kids at Carine Primary and rate it well so we would be happy to send ours there.
Only thing is i have read good things about Willetton schools and as I will be studying in Murdoch I wanted to see if living nearer would be better. I have no experience of Willetton and surrounding suburbs except i think its a bit cheaper to rent than Carine.
I would really appreciate some thoughts of others. I know its going to vary.

Thanks in advance
J01
Old May 9th 2009, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

lastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant future
Default Re: Carine v Willetton v Kalamunda

We've just been looking in those two places for the last 3 months......and ended up buying in Marmion (which is in the Carine high catchment).

TBH unless you've got very young kids you can forget private schools, which leave state schools.

Most primary schools in decent areas are good, it's the hign schools you need to watch.

Carine iteslf is a lovely suburb, but it's expensive and is holding up while Perth overall is reducing. The only problem is when you look around $800k houses most of them were built in the 70's and haven't been touched since. Any renovated houses of a reasonable size (4x2) and standard are at least $870k plus.

Willetton is a nice place as well, although not quite as nice looking as Carine (splitting hairs maybe). It's high school is better than Carine's in terms of results, which is down to the headmaster who invented some computer maths programme I believe. It's not far from Freo (20 mins) and also has Rossmoyne near it (best state school). The houses are about $200k cheaper than Carine as well.

If you're studying at Murdoch, common sense would say Willetton as that would be 10 mins drive tops, but it depends what you want near where you live.
We chose Marmion because it's in Carine catchment and is really close to the beach.

If you want any more info (exam tables etc) PM me and I'll pass them on or if you want to talk some more. Also, check out the school websites to see which other suburbs are in their catchment area.

Don't know anything about Kalamunda, sorry.
Old May 9th 2009, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

We're renting in Lesmurdie which is next to Kalamunda. Enjoy the hills very much. Plots sizes here a generally double the size of coastal suburbs for similar money. Kalamunda has a real community feel about the place and there's generally something happening most weekends.
Old May 9th 2009, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lastone
We've just been looking in those two places for the last 3 months......and ended up buying in Marmion (which is in the Carine high catchment).

TBH unless you've got very young kids you can forget private schools, which leave state schools.

Most primary schools in decent areas are good, it's the hign schools you need to watch.

Carine iteslf is a lovely suburb, but it's expensive and is holding up while Perth overall is reducing. The only problem is when you look around $800k houses most of them were built in the 70's and haven't been touched since. Any renovated houses of a reasonable size (4x2) and standard are at least $870k plus.

Willetton is a nice place as well, although not quite as nice looking as Carine (splitting hairs maybe). It's high school is better than Carine's in terms of results, which is down to the headmaster who invented some computer maths programme I believe. It's not far from Freo (20 mins) and also has Rossmoyne near it (best state school). The houses are about $200k cheaper than Carine as well.

If you're studying at Murdoch, common sense would say Willetton as that would be 10 mins drive tops, but it depends what you want near where you live.
We chose Marmion because it's in Carine catchment and is really close to the beach.

If you want any more info (exam tables etc) PM me and I'll pass them on or if you want to talk some more. Also, check out the school websites to see which other suburbs are in their catchment area.

Don't know anything about Kalamunda, sorry.
Good appraisal of the areas. Marmion is a great suburb - one of my favourites.
I don't rate Carine SHS at all so that would be the big deciding factor for me.
We are currently near Marmion and will be moving to Willetton in the next year - solely because of the high schools in the respective areas.
Old May 9th 2009, 10:47 pm
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Just want to add something here about schools. We sent our son to a school which had a supposed poor reputation, he changed and has gone down hill, the school he is at now is apparently the best.

All I can say its the pupil not the school, my son is a slacker, he did better at the turd school.

It is something you have to be careful of, in the expat circles we are so quick to comment and assume its untrue, I just dont ask any poms anymore unless they have been here a good while as their assumption is taken from idle coffee shop and playground gossip and totally unfounded.
Old May 10th 2009, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

lastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Good appraisal of the areas. Marmion is a great suburb - one of my favourites.
I don't rate Carine SHS at all so that would be the big deciding factor for me.
We are currently near Marmion and will be moving to Willetton in the next year - solely because of the high schools in the respective areas.
Interesting, why is this? PM me if you don't want it on here.
Old May 10th 2009, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, why is this? PM me if you don't want it on here.
It has had relatively poor results over the last few years - although last year it achieved just above the state average. I've heard mixed reports about the pastoral system.
I suppose a better appraisal would be that it is over-rated. People often say that it is a good school and yet there is not much statistical evidence (and in my case anecdotal evidence) to support this.
Old May 10th 2009, 6:22 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Carine v Willetton v Kalamunda

Definitely Kala. Terrific location, good community and excellent services.
Old May 10th 2009, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
It has had relatively poor results over the last few years - although last year it achieved just above the state average. I've heard mixed reports about the pastoral system.
I suppose a better appraisal would be that it is over-rated. People often say that it is a good school and yet there is not much statistical evidence (and in my case anecdotal evidence) to support this.
Oh right, we checked back to '06 and it didn't seem bad, seemed to be running at about 6,7,8th best state school consistently.

Having said that we're buying in Marmion, it looks like it might be falling through after all. Our house will not be a good place to be in the next few days.
Old May 10th 2009, 1:27 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Oh right, we checked back to '06 and it didn't seem bad, seemed to be running at about 6,7,8th best state school consistently.

Having said that we're buying in Marmion, it looks like it might be falling through after all. Our house will not be a good place to be in the next few days.
Hope things go OK with the house sale mate.
Old May 10th 2009, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by northernbird
Hope things go OK with the house sale mate.
Looks like we may have a bit of a hitch after all. I'll try and catch you on Weds if you're around Carole?
Old May 10th 2009, 1:56 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like we may have a bit of a hitch after all. I'll try and catch you on Weds if you're around Carole?
I will be there from about 8.15am till almost 10am.
Old May 10th 2009, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

twhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud of

The thing about Kala.. If the teens are doing your head in with school and the like you can always go to the Last Drop and sink a few of their home brews...
Old May 11th 2009, 11:37 am
Just Joined

westholden will become famous soon enoughwestholden will become famous soon enough

My eldest son went to Carine, and did OK. He was an average student, so he went with the flow. My daughter went to Mercy College (Catholic High School), and did much better. We found Carine High School not good for her. She had a little trouble at Carine Primary School. My Third child went to Carine Primary School for 4 years, then I was not happy with the school and moved him. So sorry I dont have any wraps for the primary school or High School. The High school would suit Kids that want to do well, will do well. I dont think the school pushes kids that need pushing..But my eldest son is an apprentice electrician thou, so he has done alright. (due to friend of a friend thou)..
My youngest boy is going to a private high school. Didnt trust CHS.
I think down south schools are better. Yes carine and marmion have the beach, but do we really go to the beach everyday. It is either windy, or cold..Hope I didnt put a spanner in your works.
Old May 11th 2009, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by westholden
My eldest son went to Carine, and did OK. He was an average student, so he went with the flow. My daughter went to Mercy College (Catholic High School), and did much better. We found Carine High School not good for her. She had a little trouble at Carine Primary School. My Third child went to Carine Primary School for 4 years, then I was not happy with the school and moved him. So sorry I dont have any wraps for the primary school or High School. The High school would suit Kids that want to do well, will do well. I dont think the school pushes kids that need pushing..But my eldest son is an apprentice electrician thou, so he has done alright. (due to friend of a friend thou)..
My youngest boy is going to a private high school. Didnt trust CHS.
I think down south schools are better. Yes carine and marmion have the beach, but do we really go to the beach everyday. It is either windy, or cold..Hope I didnt put a spanner in your works.
That is an excellent point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.