Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Be careful, snakes are on the move

Be careful, snakes are on the move

Old Oct 2nd 2013, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Be careful, snakes are on the move

Thanks for all the kind words. I believe it costs nearly $1000 just for the vial of anti-venin. The other costs on top would be for the equivalent of intensive care for a few days, plus follow-up treatment. Added to that, it happened on a public holiday, so there would have been extra charges. Because an hour had already passed when symptoms were seen and there would have been further delay waiting for the on-call vet to arrive, Tina wouldn't have been able to be saved. Given the amount of running and jumping about she had done in all the excitement, she would have unknowingly moved the venom through her system very quickly. Death was quick at least, and in the last hour of her life she was asleep.

We used to have insurance, but the premiums were so steep once the dogs turned 9 years old, there were so many exclusions, and the excess was $500 so I cancelled it when it came up for renewal. The one time we did claim (Tina again - she ate mouse poison) there was so much paperwork to fill out. The vet's bill was $600 for that, so I only got $100 back. It concerns me that once the vet knows you have insurance, $$$ signs mean they are more likely to want to treat your dog with every medical thing going (chemotherapy etc) when your dog is so old or sick, the kindest thing would be to euthanase it.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 10:58 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry Jacqui, RIP Tina

My colleague's dog died yesterday from a paralysis tic so it's also worth reminding pet owners to check for these too.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that, Jacqui, and thanks for the warning.

And on the subject of things that are poisonous to cats - poinsettias (although I never knew that about lillies.)
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 10:27 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
wow I'd no idea lilies did this to cats so thanks for sharing mate

http://www.drkatrina.com/yourpet/Cat...ityincats.aspx
Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Me neither. Thank goodness they are not my pick of flowers.
Amazing. I logged on to Facebook this morning and a friend of mine had uploaded some pics of a bunch of flowers her mum had sent her...mostly lilies...with one of her cats photo bombing the shots! Have sent her this link straight away!
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 10:53 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Amazing. I logged on to Facebook this morning and a friend of mine had uploaded some pics of a bunch of flowers her mum had sent her...mostly lilies...with one of her cats photo bombing the shots! Have sent her this link straight away!

I've mentioned it to a few people since reading on here and they had no idea either - like you say, seems lilies and cats wasn't that well known

On another note; my dog has been scratching like mad over the past week and we thought it might be fleas (from the cat as the cat goes out all day).

Both her and the cat were flea free (they get regular treatment) and it turns out as an allergy. It's something in the garden she's been rubbing up against - all her underbelly is bright red with scratching - then I found this and we have this in our garden http://www.pawsaway.com.au/Common/Pd...sletterweb.pdf

Got rid of the plants, keep her away from the grass - gave her a bath in soothing oatmeal and all gone.

I've never realised plants / grass / flowers could be so harmful to our pets until this thread so thanks to OP and other posters for highlighting it
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 7:53 am
Just Joined

new wael is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry to hear about your dog, Tina . dogs are faithful to the end..
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

I just found an article on it and says it also relates to the petals, leaves and not just the pollen. A friend of mine used to have them but always cut the stamens out and she had cats and had no problems but I don't think I'd want to take the risk! Maybe her cats were well behaved and didn't jump on the table but it also said even pollen in the air can affect them.

I once got in a panic (back in the UK) when my cat threw up some bright red sick, thinking he was about to keel over and rush him off to the vet, I looked at it a bit more closely and discovered he'd just eaten a Geranium flower! Fortunately they aren't on the list!

I always dread the cats eating spiders but fortunately they just tend to sit and stare at them and don't even attempt to play with them.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

agap is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for sharing valuable information.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 7:38 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

considering there are millions of bunches of lilies commercially grown in Australia and hundreds of millions in Europe, and nobody has heard of this before (including myself, and I have worked in cut flowers all my life, and now work on a farm the grows lilies) I think we can all assume the risk, although there, is extremely low.