Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Careful, if you're thinking if overstaying...

Careful, if you're thinking if overstaying...

Old Jul 1st 2004, 5:32 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Careful, if you're thinking if overstaying...

http://news.com.au/common/story_page...5E1702,00.html

Raids net 27 illegal workers
July 1, 2004

IMMIGRATION authorities detained 27 illegal workers in a series of raids on more than a dozen locations in Sydney overnight.

Immigration Department officers targeted furniture factories, restaurants, food processing plants and brothels.

Businesses in the Sydney suburbs of Marrickville, Botany, Surry Hills and the Haymarket were the main focus, Immigration Minister Amanda Vanstone said today.

Senator Vanstone said there was no evidence any of the brothel workers were part of illegal people trafficking in the sex industry.

"Where people are located working in the sex industry they are interviewed to determine whether there are any indicators of people trafficking," she said.

"If any indicators are identified the matter is immediately referred to the Australian Federal Police in accordance with agreed protocols."

Fifteen men and 12 women were picked up in the raids – with 16 being declared unlawful non-citizens, while the rest were working in breach of their visa conditions.

Six were from South Korea, four from India, three each from Nepal, Bangladesh and Indonesia, two each from Malaysia and China, and one each from Taiwan, the Philippines, Thailand and Nigeria.

They were taken to Sydney's Villawood Detention Centre and arrangements were being made for their removal from Australia, Senator Vanstone said.

Warning notices would be issued to the businesses where the illegal workers were employed, she said.

Immigration officers located more than 21,000 people who overstayed visas or breached visa conditions in the 2002-03 financial year, an increase of more than 20 per cent on the previous year.

AAP
Old Jul 1st 2004, 7:54 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Does that mean prostitution isn't on the MODL?
Old Jul 1st 2004, 8:16 am
owieb

I had a lot of problems when I first came over on my 457IE visa.

The majority of agencies that I approached didn't know anything about this visa and were reluctant to take me on because if I was caught working on a visa I shouldn't be; then it was the agency that would be closed down (in addition to me being booted me out!).

I had to get everything confirmed with DIMA and get them to send confirmation to the agencies that I was allowed to work.

Maybe I should have just sold my body instead!

Old Jul 1st 2004, 9:08 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by owieb
I had a lot of problems when I first came over on my 457IE visa.

The majority of agencies that I approached didn't know anything about this visa and were reluctant to take me on because if I was caught working on a visa I shouldn't be; then it was the agency that would be closed down (in addition to me being booted me out!).

I had to get everything confirmed with DIMA and get them to send confirmation to the agencies that I was allowed to work.

Maybe I should have just sold my body instead!
Indeed. The moral of the story is if you're going to emigrate to Australia to whore yourself, make sure you're properly documented.