Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Be careful with agencies

Be careful with agencies

Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

kaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to all
Default Be careful with agencies

I am writing about my own experience here.

Basically, I saw an ads advertised on Seek website and therefore sent my CV in September, using my own name. I heard no response from that, so I called the headhunter two days later and was informed that I am not qualified for this role because I don't have Australian working experience.

Last week, I met someone who happened to know the person at the recruitment agency and he told me that he know this recruitment consultant and said if I use an English or Anglo-Saxon sounding name, I will have better chance.

So, I did exactly that, sending another CV but using the the fictional name of Michael Smith. Everything on both CV including telephone no is the same except name.

A day later, the person at the agency called me "Can I speak to Michael Smith?" And I answered "Yes, speaking" and what happened next?

He asked me to meet him at his office. I countered by saying I don't have Australian working experience and he said, that's fine. He said "It does not matter. You have UK working experience, which is not much different from an Australian working experience."

I called an hour before the scheduled time to meet him and asked whether the meeting is on and he said yes. So, I went to see him at his office, he was quite shocked and asked "Are you Michael Smith?" I have to say that I am not of Anglo-Saxon descent.

He is still in the dark about what happened, and I explained that I sent a CV a month ago, but was informed that I am not qualified. The second CV was sent to catch him out. He was red-faced and I said I hate people who discriminate other.

In other words, two identical CV, except for names. The one with an English sounding name get noted, the one with a name that is not Anglo-Saxon get cast aside and probably get thrown into the bin.

The point here is that people who are not of Anglo-Saxon descent, who are not white and who do not have English sounding name, such as Indian, Chinese, etc... are finding it more difficult to get a job due to discrimination and prejudice.

Many headhunters knowingly violate the Equal Opportunity Act and people like them should be reported to the Equality and Human Right Commission.

For people who have sent or are going to send a job application to recruitment agencies, you have been warned. Although the White Australia policy was abandoned a long time ago, there are still people out there who feel that Australian jobs are for white skinned people, and unfortunately, a lot of them work in recruitment agencies.

I would also like to take this opportunity to apologise to the real Michael Smith out there. At the time the second CV was submitted, I could not think of any other Anglo-Saxon name and I would like to seek your forgiveness for using your name without your permission.

I agree very much with people who suggested to me to apply direct.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:16 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Be careful with agencies

Originally Posted by kaungchiau
I am writing about my own experience here.

Basically, I saw an ads advertised on Seek website and therefore sent my CV in September, using my own name. I heard no response from that, so I called the headhunter two days later and was informed that I am not qualified for this role because I don't have Australian working experience.

Last week, I met someone who happened to know the person at the recruitment agency and he told me that he know this recruitment consultant and said if I use an English or Anglo-Saxon sounding name, I will have better chance.

So, I did exactly that, sending another CV but using the the fictional name of Michael Smith. Everything on both CV including telephone no is the same except name.

A day later, the person at the agency called me "Can I speak to Michael Smith?" And I answered "Yes, speaking" and what happened next?

He asked me to meet him at his office. I countered by saying I don't have Australian working experience and he said, that's fine. He said "It does not matter. You have UK working experience, which is not much different from an Australian working experience."

I called an hour before the scheduled time to meet him and asked whether the meeting is on and he said yes. So, I went to see him at his office, he was quite shocked and asked "Are you Michael Smith?" I have to say that I am not of Anglo-Saxon descent.

He is still in the dark about what happened, and I explained that I sent a CV a month ago, but was informed that I am not qualified. The second CV was sent to catch him out. He was red-faced and I said I hate people who discriminate other.

In other words, two identical CV, except for names. The one with an English sounding name get noted, the one with a name that is not Anglo-Saxon get cast aside and probably get thrown into the bin.

The point here is that people who are not of Anglo-Saxon descent, who are not white and who do not have English sounding name, such as Indian, Chinese, etc... are finding it more difficult to get a job due to discrimination and prejudice.

Many headhunters knowingly violate the Equal Opportunity Act and people like them should be reported to the Equality and Human Right Commission.

For people who have sent or are going to send a job application to recruitment agencies, you have been warned. Although the White Australia policy was abandoned a long time ago, there are still people out there who feel that Australian jobs are for white skinned people, and unfortunately, a lot of them work in recruitment agencies.

I would also like to take this opportunity to apologise to the real Michael Smith out there. At the time the second CV was submitted, I could not think of any other Anglo-Saxon name and I would like to seek your forgiveness for using your name without your permission.

I agree very much with people who suggested to me to apply direct.
I'll offer another tip: apply in person as much as you can. Learn about prospective employers, learn the names of officers in the companies who could recommend you for consideration, call them on the phone or ask to see them briefly when you visit their offices - with CV in hand. Be a person not just yet another CV. Some small companies are easier to approach that way.

P.S.: Phone or face allows them to assess your spoken English. If it is as good as your written English then that is one less hurdle for you.

Last edited by WillBlack; Oct 21st 2009 at 11:18 am.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

kaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to all

Thank you so much WillBlack. I have to admit here that English is not my first language but I find your suggestions here and in another post very helpful.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

LouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really nice

I hope you get something really soon and sorry you were treated this way. How terrible for you. Lou Keep your pecker up and go get something better! x
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

The headhunter asked me into his office and so I did and sat down and had a chat with him. I was also asked to fill up one of their standard form, which I did anyway. I was also asked to provide referees, I probably won't do.

Thanks for your encouragement LouB.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:51 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

The headhunter asked me into his office and so I did and sat down and had a chat with him. I was also asked to fill up one of their standard form, which I did anyway. I was also asked to provide referees, I probably won't do.

Thanks for your encouragement LouB.
I am seriously impressed with how you dealt with this, you well and truly caught them out.

What did this guy say to you after you told him the truth? Anyway, I sincerely hope you get a good job with a decent employer and one that will not discriminate you purely on grounds of your name and where you come from.

Well done for having the courage to do this, because it really does uncover what probably alot of people go through.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

From what I gather about you on this website is that you're in Perth looking for engineering work. Please don't let this idiot dishearten you, it sounds like you're not letting it get to you anyway. Working in engineering in Perth I can tell you that the offices I have worked in are like the united nations, there is certainly no discrimination going on with the companies employing people here, good luck with your search. PS BHPs RGP6 is kicking off soon and multiple companies are all recruiting for it.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:15 am
Just Joined

headsouth will become famous soon enoughheadsouth will become famous soon enough

Wow, that is something.
I am looking for engineering(electrical) work myself in perth at the moment.
All adverts on seek seem to be placed by agents,its kinda hard to avoid them.

P.S : if its okay could you PM the name of the agency; i will not waste my time with them.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:23 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately this is not unusual and a worldwide phenomenon.

Right résumé, wrong name

I see where you got Michael Smith from!

Across the board, those with English names such as Greg Johnson and Michael Smith were 40 per cent more likely to receive callbacks than people with the same education and job experience with Indian, Chinese or Pakistani names such as Maya Kumar, Dong Liu and Fatima Sheikh.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

To jimbo_d, I appreciate your suggestion, but BHP is a mining company and I have no mining experience.

To bcworld, no, I have not read the article before. I don't know why I used that fictional name.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

West Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to all

That is scandalous! Well done you for fronting up to them like that. Glad to see you are not taking it to heart, it if was me i'd have burnt down the office by now but i'm hot headed like that lol!

Also I can vouch for the Engineering side of things. My hubby is one and in his office there are plenty of overseas people, even down here in a regional country town. Engineers are very much needed here and respected in their workplaces. Don't let those f******'s put you off.

Did you consider putting in a complaint to a Govt body or the such like? Surely there must be a watch dog for this kind of thing?
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by West Vic
That is scandalous! Well done you for fronting up to them like that. Glad to see you are not taking it to heart, it if was me i'd have burnt down the office by now but i'm hot headed like that lol!

Also I can vouch for the Engineering side of things. My hubby is one and in his office there are plenty of overseas people, even down here in a regional country town. Engineers are very much needed here and respected in their workplaces. Don't let those f******'s put you off.

Did you consider putting in a complaint to a Govt body or the such like? Surely there must be a watch dog for this kind of thing?
If you go and burnt down the office and even whack the bastard, you could be thrown into jail and have a criminal record, which will hamper anything you want to do in the future.

Sure there is a watch dog, which is called Equal Opportunity and Human Right Commission. I have already mentioned it in my post above. Would I put it a complaint? Of course I will.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Forgot to add one more thing. Having exposed it, I am asking myself whether I have done the right thing. Despite people her saying "well done" this is nothing to be proud about.

It may actually hinder my future job search. You see, there are many people who used britishexpats.com and I am pretty sure many employers are regular posters here. People may have perceived it as trouble making. It is a small world, everyone knows everyone else.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Wow. Hats off to you for catching them out like that!! I am a British born Indian and will be heading to Perth soon so I assume I'll have the same probs as yourself. Like 1 guy said it will be worth going to see agents rather than just being a CV.

I have met a few agents in Oz. In their defence (not that their is much of one) there are many, many Indians arriving in oz now and their English is terrible. They get someone else to call up, do CV's and then the truth comes out when they go to interview. You're english however is perfect so you have even more reason to meet these guys and prove their pre-conceptions wrong.

Its a shame but its been like this for years. Don't know if you watch Dragons Den but thats why that turncoat Nazim Kham changed his name to James Caan ;-) And he called his comapny Hamilton Bradshaw

As for this agency write a letter to the CEO. I am sure you'll get something out of it and the agent probably expects it. You're not causing trouble and they deserve it. I doubt any employers read Britexpats as well. They're all surfing the aussie rules websites. Good luck!
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by itxrd
Wow. Hats off to you for catching them out like that!! I am a British born Indian and will be heading to Perth soon so I assume I'll have the same probs as yourself. Like 1 guy said it will be worth going to see agents rather than just being a CV.

I have met a few agents in Oz. In their defence (not that their is much of one) there are many, many Indians arriving in oz now and their English is terrible. They get someone else to call up, do CV's and then the truth comes out when they go to interview. You're english however is perfect so you have even more reason to meet these guys and prove their pre-conceptions wrong.

Its a shame but its been like this for years. Don't know if you watch Dragons Den but thats why that turncoat Nazim Kham changed his name to James Caan ;-) And he called his comapny Hamilton Bradshaw

As for this agency write a letter to the CEO. I am sure you'll get something out of it and the agent probably expects it. You're not causing trouble and they deserve it. I doubt any employers read Britexpats as well. They're all surfing the aussie rules websites. Good luck!
Let me correct a few things here. Contrary to what you said, I am not English, I mentioned above earlier that English is not my first language. No, I don't watch Dragon Den. I won't bother writing to the CEO. I doubt any action will be taken. Why would a CEO take action against his subordinate as long as he/she can make more profit in commission, by putting forward someone who is Anglo-Saxon?

Did you watch Lateline Business? Two days ago, Ali Moore, the presenter, invited a visiting professor from the US who said that nothing has been learnt from the financial crisis. Ethics and morality are no longer practiced in many organisations, as long as the firm can make more profit.

I am not sure if employers read Britishexpats.com but a lot of them used Facebook to catch people out. If they have caught me out writing on this forum, and feel that what I have not are not right, that is their opinion. The worse thing that can happen to me is that no employer wants to employ me, and when that happens, I will get myself a flight out of Australia and go home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.