Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Career change for a sparky?

Career change for a sparky?

Old Apr 15th 2003, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

GengaKev is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Career change for a sparky?

I'm just waiting on my PR visa coming through, ( sent meds and police checks off last month). I've been accepted a skilled woker ( electrician) but I think I may fancy a career change once I get over there.

Does anyone know if you have to work at trade on your visa?, would my 5 year residencey not be renewed if I was working as something else?

Looking forward to severe sunburn......
Old Apr 15th 2003, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

The grant of a 5 year Resident's Return Visa does not consider your chosen occupation.

Example Jimoein is a Aussie based TV Comedian and Sceenwriter [the Craic] who I understand emmigrated as a Quantity Surveyor from Northern Ireland.

To get your 5 year RRV you will need to stay in OZ for two years minimum (and perhaps meet other criteria).
Old Apr 15th 2003, 4:29 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Career change for a sparky?

Originally posted by GengaKev
I'm just waiting on my PR visa coming through, ( sent meds and police checks off last month). I've been accepted a skilled woker ( electrician) but I think I may fancy a career change once I get over there.

Does anyone know if you have to work at trade on your visa?, would my 5 year residencey not be renewed if I was working as something else?

Looking forward to severe sunburn......
You may do what ever makes a crust , with in 2 years you can pay out for a worthless bit of paper with Aussie written on it and they are stuck with you rain or shine .
Watch the sunburn it gives out a nice line in skin cancer 75% of all Aussies need treatment at some time for this illness and it can kill , get check ups at lest once a year .

Old Apr 15th 2003, 8:31 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by pommie bastard
You may do what ever makes a crust , with in 2 years you can pay out for a worthless bit of paper with Aussie written on it and they are stuck with you rain or shine .
Watch the sunburn it gives out a nice line in skin cancer 75% of all Aussies need treatment at some time for this illness and it can kill , get check ups at lest once a year .

And keep away from Draught Horse Widdle lest you become another horses arse.
Old Apr 15th 2003, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks folks,

I'll remember the sunblock, but I think being a horses arse is ir-reversable so the aussies will just have to deal with it.

Cheers,

Kev the cableman
Old Apr 15th 2003, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard

Fact PB there are more cases of skin cancer in the UK than there are in OZ.........
Old Apr 15th 2003, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kev,

What sort of work did you fancy doing?
Also a spark and trying to think of somthing else.

Terry
Old Apr 15th 2003, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Terry
Hi Kev,

What sort of work did you fancy doing?
Also a spark and trying to think of somthing else.

Terry

that goes for me too but i dont know what to go for
Old Apr 15th 2003, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

pott is an unknown quantity at this point

Ice-cream man?
Sunblock seller?

Just a thought!!

Did any sparks apply for the skilled matching database and recieve an e-mail from an employment agency in Brisbane about work?

Pott.
Old Apr 15th 2003, 11:34 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bussie
that goes for me too but i dont know what to go for
Know a few sparkies who do very little electrical work. They seem to do very well out of telecommunications (PABX) and computer network cabling work (cat 5 etc). Requires an ACA cabling registration.

ACA page

Maybe getting competitive now but worth a look.
Old Apr 16th 2003, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Terry,

I fancy either the gas platforms offshore from Western Austrania or perhaps the mines on a 2 or 3 week Fly-in fly-out basis.

The work will be less technical but the time off will improve the quality of life ( in my opinion). The pay for both would compensate for the hardship. PLUS 2 weeks to spend 4 week cash can't be bad.

Hope to get to Perth end of this year, working crazy ovetime at the moment to get big deposit on a house.

Kev
Old Apr 16th 2003, 1:41 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Stoney
Fact PB there are more cases of skin cancer in the UK than there are in OZ.........

Realy well well , rain causes skin cancer you are not far off, too many sunny holidays could be the cause of the the Poms skin cancer plus fair skin is not made for to much sun ?

In 2000-01, there were almost 310,000 hospitalisations in Australia for which cancer was the principal diagnosis. This accounted for 1 in 20 hospital stays.

There are also about 2 million general practice visits a year for cancer management. Skin cancers (both melanoma and non-melanocytic skin cancers) account for 46% of these visits, indicating that excessive sun exposure remains a very serious health problem in Australia.

The most recent figures show that in one year 7,850 cases of malignant melanoma were diagnosed in Australia and 5,990 in the UK.

PS UKs population is three times that of Australia so chances here are greater.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Apr 16th 2003 at 1:54 am.
Old Apr 16th 2003, 2:01 am
Banned

Originally posted by GengaKev
Terry,

I fancy either the gas platforms offshore from Western Austrania or perhaps the mines on a 2 or 3 week Fly-in fly-out basis.

The work will be less technical but the time off will improve the quality of life ( in my opinion). The pay for both would compensate for the hardship. PLUS 2 weeks to spend 4 week cash can't be bad.

Hope to get to Perth end of this year, working crazy ovetime at the moment to get big deposit on a house.

Kev
Good idea forget the mines they are moving towards less time off and live on site plus some animals work on mine sites , the oil and gas is going to be big here contact Woodside PLC.

http://www.chemlink.com.au/gas.htm
http://www.subsea.org/subsea-oil-gas...petroleum.html

Old Apr 16th 2003, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Sunbaking died in about 1980 in OZ.

Only people burning the hell out of there skin here are the english, they see sun go mad. Every immigrant I see here gets the kiddies stripped off to tan them, its madness, the sun here kills.

Tanning is about as cool as passing the ciggies to a 3 year old.

Teenage girls here, their aim is to have lovely white skin.

Sunbake here, the only looks you get are ones of "are you mental".
Old Apr 16th 2003, 2:27 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

wrong stoney - check out your facts, Australia has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world. Are you going by the population of Britain's 59 million and comparing it to 20 million Australians? - you don't work out figures that way.

http://www.webwombat.com.au/lifestyle/health/skinc1.htm

Australia's health authorities and government will tell you the same.
Fact.

cheers

P.s - sorry GengaKev for my post in your thread, it's just that I read Stoney saying "fact" about skin cancer, when Australia is number one in the world for this. Sorry.

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 16th 2003 at 2:38 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.