Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

career change - is this ok for the visa?

career change - is this ok for the visa?

Old Jul 20th 2004, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

sooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the rough
Default career change - is this ok for the visa?

Just wondering... i am considering changing careers to something completely different from what i'm doing at the moment. Will this jeopardise my visa application?

We are still waiting results back from the TRA but wondering, if i change jobs whether this would be a bad move and whether i should just change company but stay within the same field of work....??

HELP....
Old Jul 20th 2004, 10:54 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

as far as the visa goes once you've got it you can do what you like when you get there.
Old Jul 20th 2004, 11:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: career change - is this ok for the visa?

Once you have your visas you can do what you like.

If you want to change careers before then, you need to make yourself very familiar with DIMIA's requirements for recent skilled work experience. Changing career may well reduce your options.

Hire a professional if confused as you can't afford to get something like this wrong.

Jeremy

Originally posted by sooz&abby
Just wondering... i am considering changing careers to something completely different from what i'm doing at the moment. Will this jeopardise my visa application?

We are still waiting results back from the TRA but wondering, if i change jobs whether this would be a bad move and whether i should just change company but stay within the same field of work....??

HELP....
Old Jul 20th 2004, 11:14 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

My hubby will be changing - he's curently about to start his final year of electrician's course and is going to find himself a job with an electrician (currently he's in engineering)

We will probably apply next year, as we are hoping to visit Oz early 2005.

Will this be a problem?
Old Jul 20th 2004, 11:17 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It could well be a problem. You don't provide enough information to even guess.

Have you read the work experience requirements in the Skilled Migration Booklet (both basic requirements and points)? Full time study does not count, for example.

Jeremy

Originally posted by bridiej
My hubby will be changing - he's curently about to start his final year of electrician's course and is going to find himself a job with an electrician (currently he's in engineering)

We will probably apply next year, as we are hoping to visit Oz early 2005.

Will this be a problem?
Old Jul 20th 2004, 11:21 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jeremy

He's 32, been in engineering for most of his working life (since age 17) but it's a dying trade in the UK, so he's been studying at the college on an "open learning" course - basically one evening a week at the college, the rest of the work done at home.

He's finished his first year (it's Electrical Installation) and about to start his second. He's hoping to get a job in this field very soon!

I have read the booklet, but to be honest have read so many things lately in my investigations that I forget what's what - will have to have another look...