Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Career change becomes reality!

Career change becomes reality!

Old Nov 25th 2004, 8:02 am
Just Joined

tintin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Career change becomes reality!

When I moved out to Oz in Sept 2003, I always promised myself that the last thing I would do was get a job as an IT Manager in an insurance company (the role I had spent the previous 10 yrs doing back in London!)...

So instead I ended up as an IT Manager for a telco... different industry, same long hours, lost weekends and boardroom politics!

I went back to the UK in September this yr... just for a holiday (to test the water and make sure I didnt want to move back)... Couldnt wait to get back on the plane and get home to 'sydney'... strange how a yr changes things!...

Anyway, when I have spent the past 6 weeks realising a personal dream and am just a few weeks away from opening up my own cafe/restaurant in Crows Nest...

Keep your eye on my website ( www.beandrinking.com ) and if anyone is passing by when I am open, feel free to call in for a free coffee and a chat with another Pom.

Cheers...
Old Nov 25th 2004, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice
Default Re: Career change becomes reality!

Good for you tintin! Thinking of a change of direction as well, but guess I need to get Mr Logan's visa first! When we visit Sydney (we're off to Brissy), we'll most definately pop in. Good luck!
Old Nov 25th 2004, 8:13 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tintin
Anyway, when I have spent the past 6 weeks realising a personal dream and am just a few weeks away from opening up my own cafe/restaurant in Crows Nest...
Nice one. That's always good to hear. But I wouldn't give too many free coffees away
Old Nov 25th 2004, 8:20 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Keep your eye on my website ( www.beandrinking.com ) and if anyone is passing by when I am open, feel free to call in for a free coffee and a chat with another Pom. Cheers...
Interesting website! Look forward to seeing the menus.

Just where is Crow's Nest?
Old Nov 25th 2004, 8:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

When I moved out to Oz in Sept 2003, I always promised myself that the last thing I would do was get a job as an IT Manager in an insurance company (the role I had spent the previous 10 yrs doing back in London!)...

So instead I ended up as an IT Manager for a telco... different industry, same long hours, lost weekends and boardroom politics!

I went back to the UK in September this yr... just for a holiday (to test the water and make sure I didnt want to move back)... Couldnt wait to get back on the plane and get home to 'sydney'... strange how a yr changes things!...

Keep your eye on my website ( www.beandrinking.com ) and if anyone is passing by when I am open, feel free to call in for a free coffee and a chat with another Pom.

Cheers...
Wow, excellent web site. I can see you've got big plans!! I thought when I first looked at it that you'd joined a franchise, it looks very professional. Did you design it yourself?

Excellent, good luck with your venture,

Cheers,
JTL
Old Nov 25th 2004, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice

Cheers...
Good on yer tintin!!!
It does the heart good to know that someone is getting to do what they want.
Really hope it all works out for you.
Best of luck.

Scotty.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

That sounds cool...I am hoping to get out of the IT game as well. Just had enough of it (also an IT manager) I understand that when I get to Oz I will have to go back into IT anyway to get settled but after that want to train to become a Motorcycle Intstructor.

Nice to here of other people 'escaping' from IT :-)
Old Nov 25th 2004, 8:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations. Hope it goes really well. Chances are you would never have managed to do that in the UK.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 10:46 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Good onya.

Hope it goes well.

Paul.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 11:10 am
Living the Oz lifestyle..

sunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant future

Cheers...
Hey Tintin!

Fantastic website, I'm impressed!!! Best of luck with your new venture and I wish you loads of success with your dream.

Sunchaser
Old Nov 25th 2004, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=tintin]When I moved out to Oz in Sept 2003, I always promised myself that the last thing I would do was get a job as an IT Manager in an insurance company (the role I had spent the previous 10 yrs doing back in London!)...

Very interesting read! Both myself and my husband have almost 50 years (between us) in I.T. We were also considering a coffee bar/food outlet (don't worry - not in Crows nest). But we were put off by an 'unusually' honest business salesperson we met in the Gold Coast. He couldn't understand why we would want to run a coffee bar when the business is so cut throat. But I guess he was focussing more on the Gold Coast areas, which of-course have to be really competitive. In the UK our experience has shown that any good quality food outlets / coffee bars present a highly lucrative proposition and tend to be real money spinners. We were warned not to expect such high profit percentages. So we're back to the drawing board.....but we wish you every success with 'beandrinking', and I believe that you're starting your new venture in a much more sensible area. We are regular visitors to Sydney (my Ozzie relatives live in and around Coogee / Maroubra), so we may well take you up on your free cup of coffee. Ha! Ha! We are hopefully Brisbane bound next May. Visa application just dependant on AOS bond now.

All the very best of Luck for the future. (Good website by the way...)

Regards
Netta (& John) Clarke
Old Nov 25th 2004, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers...
Good luck to you.....we are visiting Sydney next year and I just hope we remember to call in.

No need for a free coffee, we'll pay.

I really hope you enjoy doing what you want to do outside office politics.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

I'm an IT Mgr too, though cafe probably not the thing for me. Good luck with it. Great web site. One glitch I found at http://www.beandrinking.com/0105/loc.../locations.asp - as soon as I select NSW as the State I get a page not found error.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

suecroft will become famous soon enoughsuecroft will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Career change becomes reality!

Good luck !!!

Great web site.

When you want to expand to Perth let me know, need a career change myself
Old Nov 25th 2004, 1:17 pm
Go Power!!!!!

Multicoloured Crocodile is on a distinguished road

Cheers...
Good luck mate. Really respect people that have the balls to radically change their career and follow through. If I'm passing by I'LL BE PAYING for the coffee so it had better be good! All the best again.
Simon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.