Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Career Break thus NO P45 for tax reasons and Oz!

Wikiposts

Career Break thus NO P45 for tax reasons and Oz!

Old Feb 9th 2011, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

NomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really nice
Question Career Break thus NO P45 for tax reasons and Oz!

Hello All
Has anyone been in a similar situation regarding taking a career break from local authority employer and thus having no P45 as such to use for Oz purposes and tax implications? I hope I'm explaining myself clearly on this but my mind is in a mush due to the impending move and all the things to deal with!
Any comments on this will be appreciated.
Thank you
Nom
Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

middi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nice
Default Re: Career Break thus NO P45 for tax reasons and Oz!

I had a career break not too long ago and was advised by my HR dept. that the wages dept. would hold onto my P45 unless I needed it (the terms of my career break were that I could work for another employer while on my career break). If I had needed the P45 then I needed to contact HR/Wages and they would send it.

Maybe you could ask your employer what they advise and ask if it is possible to get your P45? Other than that, I'm afraid that I don't know what else to suggest.

Good Luck!
Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

NomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really nice
Smile Re: Career Break thus NO P45 for tax reasons and Oz!

Hello and thanks for that!
I will pass on the message and see if we can try that.......
Where are you now?
Regards
Nom
Old Feb 10th 2011, 12:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Why do Australia need your P45? I'd not worked for 13 years when we arrived, it was never asked for or queried and the husband was never asked for his even though he had it.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 12:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Moneypen's quite right, Aus has no interest in a P45, so don't worry yourselves about it
Old Feb 10th 2011, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

middi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nice

Originally Posted by NomandNat
Hello and thanks for that!
I will pass on the message and see if we can try that.......
Where are you now?
Regards
Nom
Hi Nom,
We're still in the UK at the moment. We're hoping to move out to the Gold Coast sometime this year though. Our validation trip is all planned too, but we're waiting on our house selling before we make the permanent move.

How about you, where are you planning on going?

Regards,
middi

p.s.
Thank goodness Moneypenny and Pollyana came along to save you from contacting your HR dept. I have to admit that I have no idea about the taxation situations of migrants (yet another area to research before we head out)
Old Feb 10th 2011, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Career Break thus NO P45 for tax reasons and Oz!

To the repliers above
Thank you for putting our minds at ease regarding the P45 (it was mentioned in someones To Do List....thats where I picked it up) so that can be another thing ticked off the list.
Hello Middi. Will PM you for a wee chat ok.....
Ta again
Nom
Old Feb 10th 2011, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Moneypen's quite right, Aus has no interest in a P45, so don't worry yourselves about it
Thank for that, one less thing to worry about last minute has we run around like headless chucks trying to sit on cases to close them, and then wonder did i put the P45 in that i never asked for
Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:26 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

This could be a good time to get all the "will I still get my child support paid as usual" kind of questions out of the way - yes, that's often asked.

The answer is no, because Australia is a different country from the UK.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 11:52 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

The one reason people may wish to get their P45 is if they finish work in the UK mid-way through a tax year. In that case they may be eligible for a tax refund in the UK. That's probably why it's on the list!

Last edited by goldchoccycoin; Feb 10th 2011 at 11:52 am. Reason: Spelling!
Old Feb 10th 2011, 3:15 pm
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tking
The one reason people may wish to get their P45 is if they finish work in the UK mid-way through a tax year. In that case they may be eligible for a tax refund in the UK. That's probably why it's on the list!
Yep, that's it. Netted a sweet 1000GBP on mine I didn't ask for it myself but HRMC contacted me automatically, after 2 years tho - takes a while for it to go through the system.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 3:25 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JustBecause
Yep, that's it. Netted a sweet 1000GBP on mine I didn't ask for it myself but HRMC contacted me automatically, after 2 years tho - takes a while for it to go through the system.
Not if you apply as soon as you receive the P45. Fill in the P85, send it off with your P45 and wait. We had our money two weeks later.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 3:34 pm
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Not if you apply as soon as you receive the P45. Fill in the P85, send it off with your P45 and wait. We had our money two weeks later.
Being a right lazy sod I preferred letting them do all the work & getting the nice surprise