Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Caravaning holiday

Caravaning holiday

Old Jan 1st 2008, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all
Default Caravaning holiday

Were getting rather close to obtaining our visa, the only thing left to do is submit the PCC's that arrived a few days ago, we had our CO a while back now and the letter said a decision would be made on the 27th Jan based on the information they have.
Our house has been on the market about a month now and we have had 2 positive feedbacks already from viewers so optimistic or not we have our fingers crossed for a March/April move.

We wish to start our journey in Adelaide as we have a few family members residing there and from there we plan to go on a road trip of around 4 months via car and caravan. We plan to visit Adelaide > Melbourne > Sydney > Brisbane > Cairns and as much as we can cram in between finishing back down in Canberra where we are bound to live for two years under our sponsorship obligations.

I have a few questions Im hoping some of you guys would know the answers to:

Driving licence: Would it be best to do this on arrival to Adelaide before setting off on the road, as I understand it I have 3 months to convert my UK licence to an Australian one?

Sponsorship obligation: I need to check in on arrival to Australia and after 3 months in Australia, how the hell am I going to do this from the back of bourke?

Any tips/websites ect providing information on how to plan such a trip would be most appreciated.

Thx for your time
Old Jan 1st 2008, 5:46 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Caravaning holiday

I'd get your licence fixed as soon as you get there... not sure about SA but here in NSW it took all of 15 minutes to do... And you'll find an Aussie driving licence is the most requested bit of ID you'll get asked for... and ask for it they do a lot...

We did Sydney - Cape Tribulation and back last year, though not in a caravan; was a great experience and thoroughly recommended. A few places worth seeing were Port Stephens, Coffs Harbour, Gold Coast, Noosa, Hervey Bay, Fraser Island, Yeppoon, Airlie Beach, Townsville, Cairns, Port Douglas. There's a fair bit I've missed that I can't remember right now...!

Have a look at this website...

ExploreOz

As far as staying in touch goes, we got a data card from Bigpond which we used with our laptop wherever we went, and surprisingly we managed to get a signal just about everywhere. There's much better deals than that about now so check out some of the mobile offerings over here before you come out...

HTH
Old Jan 1st 2008, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

denkar101 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Caravaning holiday

Originally Posted by Graham and Maria
Were getting rather close to obtaining our visa, the only thing left to do is submit the PCC's that arrived a few days ago, we had our CO a while back now and the letter said a decision would be made on the 27th Jan based on the information they have.
Our house has been on the market about a month now and we have had 2 positive feedbacks already from viewers so optimistic or not we have our fingers crossed for a March/April move.

We wish to start our journey in Adelaide as we have a few family members residing there and from there we plan to go on a road trip of around 4 months via car and caravan. We plan to visit Adelaide > Melbourne > Sydney > Brisbane > Cairns and as much as we can cram in between finishing back down in Canberra where we are bound to live for two years under our sponsorship obligations.

I have a few questions Im hoping some of you guys would know the answers to:

Driving licence: Would it be best to do this on arrival to Adelaide before setting off on the road, as I understand it I have 3 months to convert my UK licence to an Australian one?

Sponsorship obligation: I need to check in on arrival to Australia and after 3 months in Australia, how the hell am I going to do this from the back of bourke?

Any tips/websites ect providing information on how to plan such a trip would be most appreciated.

Thx for your time
IF you are going to settle in the ACT then you are much better off getting your licence sorted there (as you pass by). A South Australian one would be sensible if you intend to reside there. Bit different in Oz as each State/Territory has it's own traffic codes/
Cheers,
Dennis