Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car window tinting.. essential?

Car window tinting.. essential?

Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car window tinting.. essential?

Originally Posted by dave7370
and at least no one can see when I'm driving in the nude.

Is that a Redland Bay thing.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:42 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by manc1
Is that a Redland Bay thing.
I like the feeling of being 'free'....

It makes shopping trips a little difficult sometimes and the police can be a hassle but I get by.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:47 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Thanks, all - looks like it needs doing, but not at that price

Cheers
b
Old Oct 20th 2008, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I have tinted windows and my oh does not. He does not like them. I must admit I don't really notice that much difference with the aircon on. In fact my car is much hotter than his in the heat.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 7:24 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

No it's not essential

I have one car with and one car without (no air con either) and yes, you can obviously feel the difference but I haven't died yet (and I dont like the heat either).

It depends on how much body fat someone has. If you are carrying round enough body fat for three or four people then it's going to feel like you're wearing a coat all the time anyway.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by oliver1982
No it's not essential
I agree, it is not essential. Especially if you don't have aircon, as you will be driving around with the windows down anyway. With aircon, a few degrees; if that.

What will be important to get, is a good internal windscreen shade to keep the sun of your dashboard and steering wheel.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch- fried fingers- I used to get that in the uk- had to drive with the fingernails!!!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you need them at all, but good aircon is absolutely essential. Some Euro cars seem to really struggle with the heat too. (VW Golf and a BMW 5 series)

Although 30 years ago no-one had aircon or tint and all the cars had black vinyl seats, which was painful if you didn't have a towel.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
I don't think you need them at all, but good aircon is absolutely essential. Some Euro cars seem to really struggle with the heat too. (VW Golf and a BMW 5 series)

Although 30 years ago no-one had aircon or tint and all the cars had black vinyl seats, which was painful if you didn't have a towel.
Ah yes, those were the days....and that was just in the UK. My worst on was getting into a car in a swimming costume after a day at the beach...sunburn and hot vinyl.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

imanaussie is an unknown quantity at this point

Window tint helps with the cooling of the cars interior but just as important...it protects your cars interior from the harsh rays of the sun and over a few years the sun can really do damage to the inside. You cant always park in the shade or undercover and the interior gets very hot very quick. I would def. get the tint done but agree the price you have been quoted seems excessive. Go with a window tint place and not the dealer would be my advice. Good luck!