Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

car / Van / 4x4 with 6 (or more)seats

car / Van / 4x4 with 6 (or more)seats

Old Feb 7th 2011, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light
Default car / Van / 4x4 with 6 (or more)seats

Well sold the house this weekend so the ping pong is going a stage further .

Anyway we will need a 6 seater vehicle when we get to Oz and I just wondered if I could pull on some local knowledge as to what six seaters there are. Price wise I would like to spend as little as possible at first untill we have secured jobs and that.

We had a delica last time which was good but really just wondering what alternatives there might be so I can go on the drive website and start getting my head around prices.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 10:49 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car / Van / 4x4 with 6 (or more)seats

I had a Delica and now have a prado (on gas) and like it better than the Delica. Cheaper to run (even before the conversion) and dont feel like I'm in the A team

That said the back row of the Prado, like all of the 7 seaters, isnt very genorous, but is ok and you can split the rows etc. Boot size approx the same as the Delly. Expect to pay in excess of $15K for a ten year old one with decent miles on it
Old Feb 7th 2011, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edie209
Well sold the house this weekend so the ping pong is going a stage further .

Anyway we will need a 6 seater vehicle when we get to Oz and I just wondered if I could pull on some local knowledge as to what six seaters there are. Price wise I would like to spend as little as possible at first untill we have secured jobs and that.

We had a delica last time which was good but really just wondering what alternatives there might be so I can go on the drive website and start getting my head around prices.
As a delica driver i can honestly say... THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE Worth considering
Old Feb 7th 2011, 10:56 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
As a delica driver i can honestly say... THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE Worth considering
As an EX Delica driver i can hoestly say THERE IS!!!
Old Feb 7th 2011, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

We have the same problem, we need six seats or more really, has we have a troop of screaming kids going with us
This is a good average priced one we are thinking about.
http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/usedca...5/vehicle.html
Hope that helps?
I just noticed that its a japanese import, does this matter in Australia, or is it the norm?

Last edited by deb68; Feb 7th 2011 at 11:47 am.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

You can pick up a decent 7 seater Pajero (NL model) for around the 7-8k mark. Good vehicles which will go anywhere.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Porsche Cayenne
Audi Q7
Old Feb 8th 2011, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

MarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really nice

Try the Honda Oddyssey
Old Feb 8th 2011, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light

thanks for the replies any more suggestions are most welcome

I have found quite a good list just incase anyone else is reading this looking for one too.

SUVs

Audi Q7
BMW X5
Dodge JC Journey
Ford Territory
Holden Captiva
Hyundai Santa Fe
Jeep Commander
Kia Sorento
Kia Rondo
Land Rover Discovery 3
Mazda CX9
Mercedes GL Class
Mercedes R Class
Mitsubishi Challenger
Mitsubishi Outlander
Mitsubishi Pajero
Nissan Dualis 2
Nissan Pathfinder
Nissan Patrol
Peugeot 308 Touring
Peugeot 4007
Ssangyong Rexton
Ssangyong Stavic
Subaru Tribeca
Toyota Kluger
Toyota Landcruiser 200
Toyota Prado
Volvo XC90

People Movers

Chrysler Voyager
Citroen C4 Picasso
Honda Odyssey
Hyundai iMax - Flash
Kia Carnival
Mitsubishi Grandis
Renault Grand Scenic
Toyota Avensis
Toyota Tarago
Volkswagen Caddy Maxi Life
Volkswagen Caravelle
Volkswagen Multi Van

Last edited by edie209; Feb 8th 2011 at 7:49 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 8:46 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

You left the Ford Territory off your list. A wholly Australian vehicle available in both RWD and AWD configurations. Not all of them were sold with the third row of seats so you may have to look around.

My daughter bought one about 4 years ago as it was one of the few available that would fit 3 baby seats across the 2nd row seat (aren't twins wonderful!).
Old Feb 8th 2011, 8:53 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deb68
I just noticed that its a japanese import, does this matter in Australia, or is it the norm?
If the ad says "Japanese import" it means that it is a 'grey' import i.e. privately imported rather than through the official Mitsubishi Australia dealer network. 'Grey' imports may have features that were never officially sold in Australia which may make getting some parts difficult.

Having said that, most grey imports are good quality vehicles which give few problems. Just be aware that things like electric curtains (!?) may not be readily fixable if they break.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 12:27 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: car / Van / 4x4 with 6 (or more)seats

I did a whole thread about this some years ago with a spreadsheet of 7 seater vehicles - bit out of date but may be of interest -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376751

BB
Old Feb 9th 2011, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

hey Buzzy Bee that is some good information there evan if it is a little out of date its a fantastic starting point. Do you have a copy of the original spread sheet I could have and maybe I can update it with any info I can find too. To be honest this would be a good wiki page where everyone could update the info as they find.