Car Swap?

Old Apr 12th 2009, 3:58 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car Swap?

I've been thinking about the expenses/losses involved in selling/disposing of the family car in the UK and them having to buy another in Australia.

Until now (and because I want to have my car until the day that I leave the UK) I'd settled on the idea of identifying who amongst those that I know is the most deserving/needy and provided that they will transport us to the airport just signing over my car to them in the departure hall.

Then it occurred to me that there are probably lots of people making the same trip as my family and I - only in reverse. This situation means that a good solution could be to carry out a swap with them - my car in the UK for their car in Australia.

Does this sound like a good idea and is it workable?
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:08 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Swap?

Originally Posted by paulry
I've been thinking about the expenses/losses involved in selling/disposing of the family car in the UK and them having to buy another in Australia.

Until now (and because I want to have my car until the day that I leave the UK) I'd settled on the idea of identifying who amongst those that I know is the most deserving/needy and provided that they will transport us to the airport just signing over my car to them in the departure hall.

Then it occurred to me that there are probably lots of people making the same trip as my family and I - only in reverse. This situation means that a good solution could be to carry out a swap with them - my car in the UK for their car in Australia.

Does this sound like a good idea and is it workable?
Good idea yes. But you are putting your trust in someone who is a complete stranger. Say you exchange car keys at the airport, you fly to Oz then realise at the other end you've been mugged off and theres no car there waiting for you. Anyone can post pics on the net of their said car, then give you a set of dummy keys for it.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:16 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perksy
Good idea yes. But you are putting your trust in someone who is a complete stranger. Say you exchange car keys at the airport, you fly to Oz then realise at the other end you've been mugged off and theres no car there waiting for you. Anyone can post pics on the net of their said car, then give you a set of dummy keys for it.
Ownership documents, etc, would of course need to be exchanged.

I'd say that it would need to be a calculated risk with every reasonable effort taken to mitigate against things going wrong. And I don't think it would be worth the risk for those possessing high value cars. Also, local representatives would help ensure against con merchants.

Last edited by paulry; Apr 12th 2009 at 4:18 am.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice

Can I swap a Daihatsu for an Aston Martin or equivalent?
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:43 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Ownership documents, etc, would of course need to be exchanged.

I'd say that it would need to be a calculated risk with every reasonable effort taken to mitigate against things going wrong. And I don't think it would be worth the risk for those possessing high value cars. Also, local representatives would help ensure against con merchants.
I really dont think it would work. You are complicating an already tricky process in immigration. Who would pay for the representatives? Why would you give up your old car for free without test driving the new one first? If you do away with the representitives how would you tell a false ownership document from a real one?

Bite the bullet pal and flog your car its so much easier. Use a hire car for the last couple of weeks in the UK if you must.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:51 am
Banned

I really dont think it would work. You are complicating an already tricky process in immigration. Who would pay for the representatives? Why would you give up your old car for free without test driving the new one first? If you do away with the representitives how would you tell a false ownership document from a real one?

Bite the bullet pal and flog your car its so much easier. Use a hire car for the last couple of weeks in the UK if you must.
It was just an idea... 'Thinking outside the box...
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:57 am
Cad and bounder

It was just an idea... 'Thinking outside the box...
Nice idea, just totally unworkable.

In all honesty I dont think there would be that many people making the same journey as you at that particular time. On our flight coming out here there was only perhaps 100 people on board. We changed at KL and everyone got their particular connecting flights onwards to different destinations.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 5:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Nice thought but not sure it would work

A very good friend sold our car for us after we had left but we had tried to sell it before we left without success.

It is rather gutting selling in the UK & having to buy in Aus as second hand cars seem to have a much greater value here
Old Apr 12th 2009, 5:16 am
Cad and bounder

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Nice thought but not sure it would work

A very good friend sold our car for us after we had left but we had tried to sell it before we left without success.

It is rather gutting selling in the UK & having to buy in Aus as second hand cars seem to have a much greater value here
Very true. A car worth £1000 in the UK would probably fetch 5 times as much in Australia
Old Apr 12th 2009, 9:52 am
Banned

Very true. A car worth £1000 in the UK would probably fetch 5 times as much in Australia
Why is there such a difference in their values?
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:11 pm
Cad and bounder

Why is there such a difference in their values?
Numerous reasons, ranging from the masses of cars in the UK driving the costs down, the bodywork on cars here in Oz wont rot as much as they do in the UK. Its a common sight here to see cars on the road that are over 20 years old. The second hand market is very expensive here. New cars however seem to be cheaper compared to the UK