car seats

Old Dec 13th 2010, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car seats

Originally Posted by Tubbs2Oz
Basically the main role of a booster seat is to cause the seatbelt to sit properly over the childs shoulders and lap - not sure how much the weight of the child affects the functionality (in the boosters) when the seatbelt is the main safety function, unless they are so heavy as to break the childseat. The highback boosters as you said earlier have the added protection of the side impact stuff, which I would definitely go for. Hope your move goes well.
I wonder whether the weight limits have something to do with the effect the childs weight has on the tethers? Research has shown isofix to be more effective at keeping the seat in place than tethers. Just wondering out loud here....

But I agree, I'll definitely need to find something legal with side impact protection. I just find it strange that it would be perfectly legal for my oldest child to have no booster of any kind, yet if I make the child safer by using a UK booster then it becomes illegal if I'm understanding the rules correctly.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all
Default Re: car seats

Originally Posted by Pine Cone
I wonder whether the weight limits have something to do with the effect the childs weight has on the tethers? Research has shown isofix to be more effective at keeping the seat in place than tethers. Just wondering out loud here....

But I agree, I'll definitely need to find something legal with side impact protection. I just find it strange that it would be perfectly legal for my oldest child to have no booster of any kind, yet if I make the child safer by using a UK booster then it becomes illegal if I'm understanding the rules correctly.
I would say that's a difficult one really. I'm sure that someone could find the rules and quote them properly. I'm guessing that the law only states that children under the age of 7 must be carried in age appropriate, Australian standard, restraints/booster seats. I'm not sure that it says anything about those over the age of 7, so I'd leave it to you to decide how you wanted to play that. It's a good question though. It is possible (and quite likely) that the law states that it's illegal to use any non-Australian car seat full stop, in which case, you're right you would be breaking the law. Tricky!