car seats

Old Jun 26th 2010, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car seats

Originally Posted by heldownunder View Post
My three year old would need a new car seat but still a little confused over booster seat. Dd is 5 so has a booster seat with a seat belt its a highback one which uses the seatbelt to strap her in. It can be tethered to headrest. The official site suggests these type dont need to be tethered us this right ir am i best ebaying them here (leave 2 with parents for return visits ) and buy new there...
I've been reading the guidelines on this today and it suggests that heavy booster seats that have a tether should use them, but some light booster seats don't have tethers and they are not a requirement. Apprently children 4 and over can sit in a front passenger seat if all of the cars other seats are occupied by younger children and in this case a booster without a tether should be used.

What bothers me more is that 2 of my kids have very good quality high backed booster seats that use an adult seatbelt and they have no tether. They would be illegal in Oz purely because they don't have the Oz equivalent of the British kitemark sticker on them, yet they conform to all of the ECE standards (including all of the amendments) and I have the manual to prove it. These standards are just as good as the Oz standards, yet not recognised here. It seems such a waste of money to get rid of a good quality seat only to replace it with something almost identical.

So I am wondering, is there some sort of safety check place that you can take UK car seats to get them inspected and a sticker applied? Or is this just wishful thinking?
Old Jun 26th 2010, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

We brought our car seat on the plane with us and wish we hadn't! Our daughter whilst settled for some part of the flight, did get upset at having to be strapped in for such a long period of time. On the Singapore to Perth leg, we checked the seat in and she was much happier and slept much better.

Eating was also an issue because the food tray could not be used due to the chair being in the way.

All in all, we would not take it on a flight again.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

So if you take a car seat on the plane, do you have to use it for the whole journey? I was wondering if it's possible to put it away somehwere and then just take it out and use it when the little one is ready to go to sleep.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

zultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MrCro View Post
anyone have photos of these tether points and an aussie carseat fitted?
This might help: http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...restraints.pdf
Old Jun 26th 2010, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by zultan View Post
thanks that helps me understand how rearward facing Oz seats are installed.

From that picture on page 4 I can confirm that the Maxi Cosi has the facility for the top wrap around strap which I assume is connected to the fixing point in the boot with the "thether strap."

In the UK that point on the seat is used to loop throught the belt that would normally go diagonal across an adults body.

So it seems to me that the UK maxi cosi could be used to same standard (without getting into kitemarks etc as I accept it won't have one still!) if a tether strap was purchased and fitted.

That way if PC plod looks in and sees that carseat is secured and tethered as required he should be happy (that's unless, as somebody mentioned earlier, they are trained to spot the maxi cosi and drag the driver off to jail!!?? )

Had a quick search and found http://www.ycn.com.au/products/Tethe...0443-8-51.html
for $30.

We don't wish to save money or flaunt the law but simply use a carseat which we already have and is completely safe, but if by adding a tether strap it's even safer then great be foolish not to!

We are talking about carrying a precious object here so saving a few quid would never be considered and hence why we bought the expensive maxi cosi in first place and not some £20 cheap n nasty.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

zultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud of

We don't wish to save money or flaunt the law
But that is exactly what you are doing:

Before you buy or rent a restraint, check that it has the Standards Australia mark.

Australian law says that you must not use a restraint if it does not comply with the Australian Standard.

Overseas restraints do not meet Australian standards unless they have this mark.
In using a baby seat without the logo, you risk invalidating your car insurance and obviously driving without insurance is also illegal (and negligent). Don't mean to be negative, but the law is quite clear...
Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

does this apply to everything displaying a british a british kitemark as opposed to australian?

we are taking a container of electrical goods, tools etc etc that will all have the british kitemark, does that mean household insurance will also be null and void?

if that's the case then there must be thousands and thousands of illegal immigrant household in australia?

and my work insurance if using british kitemark tools?

very
Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

does this apply to everything displaying a british a british kitemark as opposed to australian?

we are taking a container of electrical goods, tools etc etc that will all have the british kitemark, does that mean household insurance will also be null and void?

if that's the case then there must be thousands and thousands of illegal immigrant household in australia?

and my work insurance if using british kitemark tools?

very
According to it's wiki entry the BSI "Kitemark is not a legal requirement" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitemark) whereas the Australian government have made the Australian Standard a legal requirement for car seats..

To answer your other questions, I guess it would depend on whether there is other legislation mandating the use of Austrlian Standard approved products. I imagine if you fitted a UK approved fire extinguisher and your house burned down, the insurance company might use that as an excuse to not pay out. Or if you tried to fit BSI approved safety glass to your house, you might not be able to get building regulation sign off (if such a thing exists in Aus).

I'm fairly certain there are no clauses in my home contents insurance to prevent me plugging in appliances sourced outside the UK, I assume the same would apply down under.

Last edited by zultan; Jun 27th 2010 at 8:48 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

Just in case anyone wants to use a brand that they're happy with in the UK. Check out safe'n'sound they are Britax. We bought a Hi-Liner SG and a MaxiRider AHR when we came over. We almost went for 2 Hi-Liners as little one was almost at the minimum weight for the boosters. Glad we didn't though as under 4s over here are not allowed into the highback booster seats unless they have physically outgrown the 5 point harness seats either in weight or height.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sunshine7 View Post
So if you take a car seat on the plane, do you have to use it for the whole journey? I was wondering if it's possible to put it away somehwere and then just take it out and use it when the little one is ready to go to sleep.
No there isn't anywhere to store it. Has to be strapped in at all times. Unless of course the flight is empty and you can put it in an empty seat.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute

Another question on this issue. I understand children over the age of 7 do not have to be in a car seat or booster seat. So what is the law if you have a child OVER the age of 7 in a British high back booster seat? Do they still require an Oz one or doesn't it matter because they are over the age limit?

In the UK the law is now that children under 12 have to be in a booster unless they are 150cm tall, and our good quality high back boosters are adjustable and designed to accomodate children up to that size. However as kids in Oz do not require a booster over the age of 7, can you even get a high backed booster seat for larger kids? I don't want my kids in a regular booster cushion without the back piece as they offer them no side impact protection to their heads or necks and there is more risk of the seatbelt being misaligned over their necks, especially if they fall asleep on long journeys.

To be honest I am completely shocked at the attitude towards car and boosters here in NZ. My school age children are still using high backed booster seats, with the youngest still in a 5 point harness car seat as he still fits in it safely. Their classmates either have nothing at all, or at best have a booster cushion for the smallest kids as the law here doesn't require anything for school age kids. Everyday I seem kids being strapped in with seat belts across their necks or under their armpits and the parents (and even teachers) have absolutely no comprehension about how dangerous that would be in an accident, despite the appauling road accident rates here.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 6:15 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pine Cone View Post
Another question on this issue. I understand children over the age of 7 do not have to be in a car seat or booster seat. So what is the law if you have a child OVER the age of 7 in a British high back booster seat? Do they still require an Oz one or doesn't it matter because they are over the age limit?

In the UK the law is now that children under 12 have to be in a booster unless they are 150cm tall, and our good quality high back boosters are adjustable and designed to accomodate children up to that size. However as kids in Oz do not require a booster over the age of 7, can you even get a high backed booster seat for larger kids? I don't want my kids in a regular booster cushion without the back piece as they offer them no side impact protection to their heads or necks and there is more risk of the seatbelt being misaligned over their necks, especially if they fall asleep on long journeys.

To be honest I am completely shocked at the attitude towards car and boosters here in NZ. My school age children are still using high backed booster seats, with the youngest still in a 5 point harness car seat as he still fits in it safely. Their classmates either have nothing at all, or at best have a booster cushion for the smallest kids as the law here doesn't require anything for school age kids. Everyday I seem kids being strapped in with seat belts across their necks or under their armpits and the parents (and even teachers) have absolutely no comprehension about how dangerous that would be in an accident, despite the appauling road accident rates here.
Regarding the parent's attitude, it's the same around here.

Yer typical dog riding on the back of the ute has more chance in an accident than some of the kids.

I would not import a seat that would invalidate my insurance or be in any way illegal ... for the sake of a few bob it's just not worth it. And whether or not the police would check during an inspection is neither here or there.

But there are some people that will lay out thousands for a TV and then try to cut corners so ...
Old Dec 10th 2010, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DeadVim View Post

I would not import a seat that would invalidate my insurance or be in any way illegal ... for the sake of a few bob it's just not worth it. And whether or not the police would check during an inspection is neither here or there.
I'm not trying to save $$ but I am concerned about the safest options available for my kids. Here in NZ you can't even get high-backed boosters that will accomodate kids much beyond the age of 7 or 8 if they are average size, which is why we use our UK high backed booster seats. They are a safer option for my kids than using a standard booster cushion, which is the only thing we can get here that fit school age kids.

What are the options like in Oz for older kids? Can you get high-backed boosters for older kids, and if not would it be illegal to continue using our UK ones if they are over the age of 7?
Old Dec 10th 2010, 6:39 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pine Cone View Post
What are the options like in Oz for older kids? Can you get high-backed boosters for older kids, and if not would it be illegal to continue using our UK ones if they are over the age of 7?
From the main roads web site:

"Under Queensland law, the driver of the vehicle must ensure that all passengers, no matter how young or old, are wearing a correctly fitted child restraint or seatbelt. The penalty for failing to do this is a A$300 fine and three demerit points."

So yes, it would be illegal as the seat does not conform to local standards and the age is irrelevant.

(edit) A booster seat like this? https://shop.racq.com.au/Product/S44...0Mist%20Fabric
Old Dec 10th 2010, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DeadVim View Post
Not exactly...that one only goes up to age 7. Our exact models aren't here, but more like these ones in UK where the head support bit is adjustable in height and there is a solid seatbelt guide that you thread the belt through so that is can't slip over the neck, as opposed to a booster seat where the adult strap rests directly over the top of the seat. These ones are for ages 4-11 years:

http://www.mothercare.com/b/11886403...%2011%20yrs%29

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.