British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   car seats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/car-seats-673861/)

collybabe24 Jun 24th 2010 4:25 pm

car seats

Ok so i know im gonna get a lecture for asking about car seats as there are heaps of threads regarding this but yesterday i made a huge mistake i sold my travel system so had to buy a new car seat, i have bought the maxi cosi from halfords and have just done a search on here to find out if i can take it on the plane, only to find they are illegal in aus, i'm so gutted but there have been mixed answers as some have said its fine others not so could someone just make it clear to me thanks
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...IOV4PLPZ1#dtab

MrCro Jun 24th 2010 4:49 pm

Re: car seats

we're taking our Maxi Cosi, wife says it matches the rest of the Quinny pram stuff and if it's safe in UK how can it not be in Oz.

So it's going!

Sure the Police don't do babyseat spot checks! :blink:

Especially in NSW where they are too busy issuing speeding tickets!

collybabe24 Jun 24th 2010 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by MrCro (Post 8654653)
we're taking our Maxi Cosi, wife says it matches the rest of the Quinny pram stuff and if it's safe in UK how can it not be in Oz.

So it's going!

Sure the Police don't do babyseat spot checks! :blink:

Especially in NSW where they are too busy issuing speeding tickets!

Well i completely agree that they are safer from the uk, just dont wanna end up in trouble, cant believe i never realised before when i lived in oz but my kids were older and its gonna be completely different travelling with a baby, lol yep they are the same in queensland we got done going to coffs harbour, i even had a cop jump out from the bushes and did me for failing to stop at the stop sign even though my car was bearly rolling i was devasted for paying out $300 for my first offence but i laugh now, they are quite petty but rules are rules

MrCro Jun 24th 2010 6:20 pm

Gotta collect their extra taxes!

I was lucky 2 years as a rep when I was young driving all over Sydney and never got stopped once! :p

Never even a RBT!

Luck will no doubt run out at some point when we return!

Are you in Sunshine Coast now? How have you found work situation, we arrive around Oct and I need to work asap as leaving £'s in UK. I'm carpenter/builder.

We may have to go back to Sydney for a while first but that's second choice! But know I can get work quickly in Syd.

collybabe24 Jun 24th 2010 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by MrCro (Post 8654870)
Gotta collect their extra taxes!

I was lucky 2 years as a rep when I was young driving all over Sydney and never got stopped once! :p

Never even a RBT!

Luck will no doubt run out at some point when we return!

Are you in Sunshine Coast now? How have you found work situation, we arrive around Oct and I need to work asap as leaving £'s in UK. I'm carpenter/builder.

We may have to go back to Sydney for a while first but that's second choice! But know I can get work quickly in Syd.

LOL, My hubby has been really lucky he works for garry crick and they have kept his job open for nearly a year, head back august and have just sent all our stuff over, i know a few brickies and some have struggled but thats the coast for you but i wouldnt choose any where else to live its just so beautiful and family orientated, i'm sure u will be fine if your a hard worker someone will snap you up, hope you get sorted

Pollyana Jun 24th 2010 7:09 pm

Just a few facts for you guys which I've gleaned from threads on the subject - - the police here are anal and will do you for anything including having an illegal car seat.
- if the car seat is illegal and there is an accident it may invalidate your insurance, regardless of whether you think its a safer seat than the Aussie ones
- Aussie seats have different fixings, so you may not be able to fit your UK seat into a car with Aussie mountings.

Loads of views in previous threads as to whether its worth the risk insurance-wise, and which seats are safer, but the bottom line is if it doesn't have the Aussie safety mark,then its illegal to use it in a car here.

collybabe24 Jun 24th 2010 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8654966)
Just a few facts for you guys which I've gleaned from threads on the subject - - the police here are anal and will do you for anything including having an illegal car seat.
- if the car seat is illegal and there is an accident it may invalidate your insurance, regardless of whether you think its a safer seat than the Aussie ones
- Aussie seats have different fixings, so you may not be able to fit your UK seat into a car with Aussie mountings.

Loads of views in previous threads as to whether its worth the risk insurance-wise, and which seats are safer, but the bottom line is if it doesn't have the Aussie safety mark,then its illegal to use it in a car here.

Thanks pollyana i have just rang halfords to see if i can get a refund and shouldnt be a prob been as though i havent used it, so will just buy a second hand one for my last 8 weks here and get one in aus when we arrive

MrCro Jun 24th 2010 7:48 pm

be careful of second hand as you never know if already been involved in a crash and if they have they are not deemed safe, better to buy cheaper new one.

Still taking ours!

Maxi Cosi just fits into standard seatbelt so fits aussie cars no problems. ONly compatability issues if using isofix from what I've read.

Re work I'm hoping the massive Sippy Downs build will create loads of work! :thumbsup:

jad n rich Jun 24th 2010 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by collybabe24 (Post 8654593)
Ok so i know im gonna get a lecture for asking about car seats as there are heaps of threads regarding this but yesterday i made a huge mistake i sold my travel system so had to buy a new car seat, i have bought the maxi cosi from halfords and have just done a search on here to find out if i can take it on the plane, only to find they are illegal in aus, i'm so gutted but there have been mixed answers as some have said its fine others not so could someone just make it clear to me thanks
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...IOV4PLPZ1#dtab

I dont know if you realise this, but very recently car seat regulations in qld were changed and kids up to about 7?? have to be in car seats/booster seats.

I dont know the regulations as my kids are too old to be restrained, but I know there was a lot of women at work moaning about older kids now needing booster seats etc despite being at school:unsure:.

No doubt a search on qlds many laws :lol: will bring up some info.

oz bound Jun 24th 2010 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by MrCro (Post 8655036)
be careful of second hand as you never know if already been involved in a crash and if they have they are not deemed safe, better to buy cheaper new one.

Still taking ours!

Maxi Cosi just fits into standard seatbelt so fits aussie cars no problems. ONly compatability issues if using isofix from what I've read.

Re work I'm hoping the massive Sippy Downs build will create loads of work! :thumbsup:

what about the top tether strap that attaches it to an anchor point in the boot of the car? From my experience, UK seats don't have that so therefore that would make your seat illegal here.

heldownunder Jun 24th 2010 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 8655204)
I dont know if you realise this, but very recently car seat regulations in qld were changed and kids up to about 7?? have to be in car seats/booster seats.

I dont know the regulations as my kids are too old to be restrained, but I know there was a lot of women at work moaning about older kids now needing booster seats etc despite being at school:unsure:.

No doubt a search on qlds many laws :lol: will bring up some info.

Does anyone have any clarification on this??? Our kids each have two highback booster seats, two of which can be tethered to a head rest but not to the boot.... Also can they sit on a booster seat without any tether??? Also where would be the cheapest place to buy them in brisbane/ australia
Glad found this thread as was about to buy 3 year old a new seat..
Many thanks

jad n rich Jun 24th 2010 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by heldownunder (Post 8655238)
Does anyone have any clarification on this??? Our kids each have two highback booster seats, two of which can be tethered to a head rest but not to the boot.... Also can they sit on a booster seat without any tether??? Also where would be the cheapest place to buy them in brisbane/ australia
Glad found this thread as was about to buy 3 year old a new seat..
Many thanks

This is the first thing I got on google, http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home...ng_a_restraint

No expert on this my 'little one' is now 6 foot tall, however it does appear kids up to 7 do need restraints, all in the link..

heldownunder Jun 24th 2010 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 8655245)
This is the first thing I got on google, http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home...ng_a_restraint

No expert on this my 'little one' is now 6 foot tall, however it does appear kids up to 7 do need restraints, all in the link..

Thanx for link very useful
older child's should be ok but will probably need to buy for son.
Where can i research costs on net???
Do taxis have car seats... Thinking of airport pick up??
Thanx

Amazulu Jun 24th 2010 11:38 pm

Is the ISOFIX system now legal in Australia? The last 2 cars that I have bought here have had it as standard.

Kingseat Jun 25th 2010 12:02 am

Basically what Polly said! To bring a carseat from the UK in my opinion is a foolish decision. Illegal here end of story.

UK seats don't have the teather strap that is used in Australia.