Reload this Page >

Car seat vs. bassinet

Car seat vs. bassinet

Old Jun 10th 2005, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

sherman989 is on a distinguished road
Default Car seat vs. bassinet

Hi

We have just booked our one way flight with Malaysian airlines. We have booked a seat for our 13 month old in order to bump up our baggage allowance a little bit.

What we really need to decide is whether it will be easier to stick with the bassinet that we have pre-booked or take her car seat on with us. The car seat is legal in Oz but we need to confirm if it will be ok for the plane (dimensions etc.)

The bassinet worked fairly well when we went over in Feb but she'll be a bit more lively this time as she's crawling now and could well be walking by the time we fly in August.

So does anyone have any experience of this? I'm sure she'll be a bit stir crazy but we think she may sleep better in her car seat which will help all of us! What does everyone think?

Cheers

Sherman + Mandie
Old Jun 10th 2005, 9:34 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car seat vs. bassinet

Originally Posted by sherman989
Hi

We have just booked our one way flight with Malaysian airlines. We have booked a seat for our 13 month old in order to bump up our baggage allowance a little bit.

What we really need to decide is whether it will be easier to stick with the bassinet that we have pre-booked or take her car seat on with us. The car seat is legal in Oz but we need to confirm if it will be ok for the plane (dimensions etc.)

The bassinet worked fairly well when we went over in Feb but she'll be a bit more lively this time as she's crawling now and could well be walking by the time we fly in August.

So does anyone have any experience of this? I'm sure she'll be a bit stir crazy but we think she may sleep better in her car seat which will help all of us! What does everyone think?

Cheers
Sherman + Mandie
Sorry, just a question how did you fnd out that your car seat was legal in Oz.

Thanks

Karen
Old Jun 10th 2005, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

CAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really nice

Personally I would try to go with both. Book a seat for the baby/car seat and request a bassinet. That way you'll have two options. Hope this is possible.
CAZ
Old Jun 10th 2005, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wargod
Sorry, just a question how did you fnd out that your car seat was legal in Oz.

Thanks

Karen
Karen, you just have to make sure that the seat in question is an Isofix seat. Ours is a Britax. Isofix basically means that there is a belt coming off the back of the seat which attaches to a hook in the boot thus making the seat extra secure in the car. This is in addition to the usual seat belt attachment. it's not as complicated as it sounds - we used one fine when we were over in Feb. Hope this helps.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CAZ76
Personally I would try to go with both. Book a seat for the baby/car seat and request a bassinet. That way you'll have two options. Hope this is possible.
CAZ
My thoughts exactly Caz but when I spoke to Mrs Malaysia earlier today when booking she said that we couldn't do both. I think that the seats where the bassinets are are in a different place to the seats that you can use a car seat in. Did that sentence make any kind of sense?!! Also, if we choose to use the car seats in the bassinet area we could be preventing another family using the bassinet. Seems fair enough I suppose but the chice would have been ideal. Should realy have mentioned that on the original thread! Hence our dilemma.

Sherman
Old Jun 10th 2005, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

caroledouglas has a spectacular aura aboutcaroledouglas has a spectacular aura aboutcaroledouglas has a spectacular aura about

Hi

Cheers

Sherman + Mandie
Hi there,
I think if you have already booked the seat you may as well take your car seat with you, but I was under the illusion it is illegal to use a car seat from this country in Australia. I would check that one out.
Carole
Old Jun 10th 2005, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Cheers

Sherman + Mandie
Hi,
Not really sure what a bassinet is . If I'm right in thinking that it's a kind of carrycot thing I would definitely recommend the car seat. At 13 months the baby is going to need to be able to sit up and see what's going on, the alternative would be your knee :scared: have tried that and believe me it's not fun. That was only so far as Florida, dread to think what it would be like trying it all the way to Australia

Shouldn't be a problem for a long journey. The physios on the unit where I work use them for the bigger babies . She is going to be able to play with her toys, eat and sleep in it. Babies like what is familiar to them. It may make the journey easier for her (therefore you ). She may not settle in the bassinet. Another bonus is that it will save you money at the other end as you wont have to buy another car seat .

Tracey