Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car registrations...

Car registrations...

Old Oct 27th 2003, 9:25 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Car registrations...

Firstly...

We are in SA for 8 weeks holiday before we move up to Bris to settle for a while. We would like to buy a car in SA, as i don't thin the wifes 24 year old honda civic is quite "there" anymore The southern ocean and its daily dose of salt will probably mean the top half of the car is drive on drive off in relation to its chassis

So....If we buy a car in SA, what happens with the registration? Do we have to pay for new plates when we get to QLD if thats where we are settling? Is it expensive? Do we get a refund on the SA registration?

Secondly....

Someone told me cars are cheaper in QLD. Now i've had a GOOD look on the web, and i can't really see any difference in price. Anyone heard anything similar?

Cheers

Pete.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Pete
What I can't understand is how everybody talks about the cars over there being affected by the salt.I live about half a mile away from the river mersey,about 4 mile from the river dee and the same from the Irish sea.We don't really give salt a second thought as regards corrosion.Also at this time of year the roads are heavily salted due to the black ice etc.Of course when we buy a car the first we look for is chassis rot/rust.Didn't think this would be abig problem in Aus.Sorry if I have gone slightly off thread here Pete
Old Oct 27th 2003, 9:51 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by chris hogan
Hi Pete
What I can't understand is how everybody talks about the cars over there being affected by the salt.I live about half a mile away from the river mersey,about 4 mile from the river dee and the same from the Irish sea.We don't really give salt a second thought as regards corrosion.Also at this time of year the roads are heavily salted due to the black ice etc.Of course when we buy a car the first we look for is chassis rot/rust.Didn't think this would be abig problem in Aus.Sorry if I have gone slightly off thread here Pete
The car is currently parked under a tin car port at my inlaws beach shak, as there was no room at thier house in town....

Its about 30m from the water, and in winter the sea can get pretty wild....The air can be pretty salty. It was nearly ready for scrapping anyway, thats the only reason we left it there.

I don't think its generally much of a problem for normal cars. It can be for people who live right on the coast, or for four wheel drives that get used on the beach or for towing boats....
Old Oct 27th 2003, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers Pete never thought about 4x4 on the beaches etc
Old Oct 27th 2003, 10:13 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally posted by chris hogan
Hi Pete
What I can't understand is how everybody talks about the cars over there being affected by the salt.
I believe Aus is like the US, not all cars come with UK/Euro anti-corrosion treatment - specially underneath.
When you buy a new car in Aus you're offered all kinds of extras, e.g. electronic rust inhibitors, teflon UV-proof top coat, chasis rust-proofing....
Old Oct 27th 2003, 10:25 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by PeteY
The car is currently parked under a tin car port at my inlaws beach shak, as there was no room at thier house in town....

Its about 30m from the water, and in winter the sea can get pretty wild....The air can be pretty salty. It was nearly ready for scrapping anyway, thats the only reason we left it there.

I don't think its generally much of a problem for normal cars. It can be for people who live right on the coast, or for four wheel drives that get used on the beach or for towing boats....
Sounds like it might not make it through the rego, anyway, Pete!!
You can drive on out of state plates without any worries - a lot of the car rental agencies here in Sydney rego their cars in Vic and QLD, as the costs are lower.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Rules that apply to rental cars do not apply to personally owned cars. Although you can drive in any state on any other state's plates, if you actually move interstate you MUST re-register the car in your new state of residence - and you have a certain amount of time to do this.

SA is the cheapest place in Oz to buy a car (so my brother-in-law told me), with lowest stamp duty. We bought our car in SA because we flew into Adelaide but ultimately our destination was Vic. When you buy a car you must register it at the same time, and for this you will need an SA address. We didn't have an SA address so we had to pretend we lived at the Holiday Inn and provide that as our address!! When we moved to Vic, we had to cancel SA rego and register with Vic - this included buying new plates. By law, you should return the old plates to SA rego people.

Bring evidence of your UK no claims as you can use these on your Oz insurance.

And yes, you will get a refund on your SA rego. Think new plates in Vic cost about $100.

Last edited by HiddenPaw; Oct 28th 2003 at 3:57 am.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 4:48 am
Just Joined

LeaB is an unknown quantity at this point

Try the website http://www.drive.com.au to find car prices - both new and used.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 7:39 am
A Male Member

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Rules that apply to rental cars do not apply to personally owned cars. Although you can drive in any state on any other state's plates, if you actually move interstate you MUST re-register the car in your new state of residence - and you have a certain amount of time to do this.

SA is the cheapest place in Oz to buy a car (so my brother-in-law told me), with lowest stamp duty. We bought our car in SA because we flew into Adelaide but ultimately our destination was Vic. When you buy a car you must register it at the same time, and for this you will need an SA address. We didn't have an SA address so we had to pretend we lived at the Holiday Inn and provide that as our address!! When we moved to Vic, we had to cancel SA rego and register with Vic - this included buying new plates. By law, you should return the old plates to SA rego people.

Bring evidence of your UK no claims as you can use these on your Oz insurance.

And yes, you will get a refund on your SA rego. Think new plates in Vic cost about $100.
Excellent stuff, thanks HP.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 8:38 am
Badge

we were told that we would lose our deposits if we drove our rental 4x4s in the sea "baywatch" style.

they told us they would inspect when we got back and would soon "know"- apparently the salt water starts to take effect in hours if not days!!

so it is a defo no no.

badge