Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car registration after moving interstate

Car registration after moving interstate

Old Sep 12th 2009, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of
Default Car registration after moving interstate

Having moved interstate I thought I would leave registration for a while to see how things go. However, I have just received a renewal notice for my registration in QLD and I thought hey why don't I just register here when my QLD one expires. Is it a straight forward matter to register a QLD vehicle here?
Old Sep 12th 2009, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Car registration after moving interstate

You have to book an inspection
see here
http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/566.asp

WA cars have to have an engine immobiliser

Besides that its simple
check - Metropolitan licensing centres and Vehicle examination centres
Old Sep 12th 2009, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car registration after moving interstate

You have to do it within 3 months I think in all states - otherwise you could find that your third party insurance is void and that can be a very unpleasant experience
Old Sep 12th 2009, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Mine has an engine immobiliser and I've only been in Perth for a few weeks. Will check out the website.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I did,nt explain that properly, you have to take your vehicle to a Vehicle examination centre before you can register your car.

Look down the left side on the web site it gives the outlets that do it-
not as easy (or cheap ) as a NSW pink slip.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

The car only needs to be inspected if I have owned it for less than 12 months. I have owned it for more so I only need to take documentation, fee and plates.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

However, my wife's car is less than 1 year old. Do people sell cars with QLD plates in WA?
Old Sep 15th 2009, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discobay
However, my wife's car is less than 1 year old. Do people sell cars with QLD plates in WA?
Given the extra cost of inspections and registration I think most people would avoid buying a car originally registered in a different state. Unless it was a bargain of course.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

So as it has been under my ownership for almost the 12 months I would be well advised registering it with WA plates myself before selling on.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

louH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by quoll
You have to do it within 3 months I think in all states - otherwise you could find that your third party insurance is void and that can be a very unpleasant experience
Is that for a perm move? What happens if your living in another state for a number of months but retain your main home elsewhere?

Last edited by louH; Sep 15th 2009 at 1:06 pm. Reason: opps typo
Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discobay
So as it has been under my ownership for almost the 12 months I would be well advised registering it with WA plates myself before selling on.
As far as I'm aware unless you have a residential address in QLD then you can't register it under the QLD plates again. We bought a car in Cairns last September during our trip. When we returned to Sydney the rego was about to expire, the QLD rego document stated that we had to have a QLD address. So we re-registered the car in NSW. Fairly easy but expensive process.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 3:35 am
Just Joined

Morley is an unknown quantity at this point

We bought a car in Brisbane in May of this year and are moving down to Sydney April 2010 - What is the process we need to go through and how much does this cost? Any advice welcome!!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Morley
We bought a car in Brisbane in May of this year and are moving down to Sydney April 2010 - What is the process we need to go through and how much does this cost? Any advice welcome!!
Check the RTA website

Clicky