Car prices

Old Mar 20th 2003, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

sundarize is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car prices

Been looking at prices of cars in Oz. It seems, no surprise that new cars are cheaper than in the UK, but second hand ones tend to be more expensive.

I understand that there is stamp duty on the sale of second hand cars. What sort of level is this, and what other reasons could there be for this paradox?
Old Mar 20th 2003, 5:40 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Default Re: Car prices

Originally posted by sundarize
Been looking at prices of cars in Oz. It seems, no surprise that new cars are cheaper than in the UK, but second hand ones tend to be more expensive.

I understand that there is stamp duty on the sale of second hand cars. What sort of level is this, and what other reasons could there be for this paradox?

We were told it is GST at 10% but thatis just what we were told?:scared:
Old Mar 20th 2003, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

They don't depreciate as fast as UK due to the dry weather...go for ever!

Mash...

Old Mar 20th 2003, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I have a BMW convertable 4 yrs old, looking at 2nd hand values in au. I am thinking of shipping this as my wife loves it so much and to replace it would cost more than shipping fees. I have wondered about repair cost as they are not as common in au, any views on this.

Terry
Old Mar 20th 2003, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been seriously thinking about taking our Beemer out, our migration agent told us to find out the facts on customs at www.customs.gov.au
It still looks appealing, but like Terry we are a bit worried about the price of spares etc. A friend of ours from Brisbane says he wouldn't touch imports because of the cost of parts, but hey if you love your beemer (as I do) and you really want one in Oz, I reckon the only way to secure it is to take it with you!

We still have a good while to decide, the wait has only just begun, ho hum
Old Mar 20th 2003, 10:20 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Japanese cars are slightly cheaper here because of lower shipping costs and someone told me once that the cars are finished to a cheaper standard than in Europe - slightly thinner metal, thinner glass, less underfloor corrosion protection. Something to do with warmer climate and European standards (or the lack thereof here).

European cars cost the same as in the UK. Take a look at some of the big German/French car makers Australian websites for prices, no different to the UK. Even the Ford Focus is about the same - like $25k to $28k on the road compared to 11k to 12k sterling in the UK.

Since salaries are on average about half of UK salaries if you translate back, this means that a Ford Focus costs double in real terms here. Most definitely NOT cheaper in real terms. To reflect local salaries a Ford Focus should cost $12k to $14k, but they dont to they!

Used cars cost more here because of basic economics. There are less used cars in circulation. Why? Well, as I've just said new cars are double the price in real terms so people can afford to change their cars less often in the UK. People therefore own their cars longer, so the used car market is smaller and subject to less competition. Further, this country has a smaller population, so again this means less cars in circulation so less competition and higher prices. I dont think the weather has that much to do with it - take a look at cars in Queensland with golf ball surfaces from hale storms, irrecoverably damaged shocks from non-paved roads, blistered paint and melted dash boards from the blazing heat and then tell me Australia is kinder on cars!!!

Stamp duty in NSW is 3% on the first $45k and 5% above that. Its based on the higher of price paid or what the RTA decide is the market value. Our car cost us $35k. We walked away from the dealer thinking we had ourselves a good deal. What we did not factor into our sums was that then we had to pay $1,050 stamp duty and $800 rego fees at the RTA, we had to pay $350 for a green slip 3rd party insurance and then separately $1,000 for fully comp insurance. So an additional $3,200. My advice is make sure you allow up to 10% on top of the car price in your budget for these juicy extras!

Believe me, cars are MORE EXPENSIVE here than in the UK.
Old Mar 20th 2003, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

There must be a way to get spares as I saw quite a few BMW's when w visited NSW and Queensland. There were a few dealers of imported prestigous cars as well.

Why don't you do a search and see if you can find any of the dealers out there, you could contact them and ask.

You could also look in www.Autotrader.com.au to see which ones are selling out there.

Tina
Old Mar 20th 2003, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

We bought our 2 year old Holden Commodor Berlina (top model) wagon (estate) for $32,000. That included 4 year warranty (it was Network Q so had 1 years manufacturers warranty left then the Network Q 3 year warranty kicks in ) and Waxguard protection inside and out. That also included roof bars, extra 2 rear seats, and load cover. Stamp duty was $957, RTA Rego was £327, Compulsory 3rd party insurance was $354, Fully comprehensive insurance is $842, that's with full no claims discount. These amounts are taken from all the receipts I'm looking at now so are factual.

We have had 2 services done on it since we have had it and they have each cost $340, they were only this much as the first time the injectors needed cleaning and the second time the tick over needed something doing to it, they would have been more but a lot of the work was still under warranty. Anyway, now the car is in the Network Q 3 year warranty we have a guaranteed fixed service charge of $175 unless it is one of the major services. The only thing that is different here is that they want the car back for servicing so frequently. In the UK its every 10,000 miles for vauxhall, but here its every 10,000 km which seems to come around so quickly! Yes we could probably get servicing done cheaper in a backstreet somewhere but at the moment under the warranty we are sticking with the dealer, they come and collect/deliver the car and wash it for me too. Once the 3 years are up then we will probably service it ourselves!

Just another thing, when my husband was looking for a car he was looking at the top of the range Corsa (called Barina here) SRi 1.8i imported from the UK. This was offered to him at $25,000. Just checked online how much the exact same model would cost in the UK and it came up with $15960.

Also there are quite a few beamers around here so don't think you will have any problems getting spares. Check out this website www.bmw.com.au

Mandy
Old Mar 21st 2003, 2:34 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Try buying your car in an auction - where the dealers buy theirs - we've bought 2 in the last couple of months (one a 4WD for me, and a ute for the company). If you go to the auctions on a week day and not the "Saturday" ones - you will just be bidding against dealers and not private buyers - cheaper

If you know what your doing - you can save quite a few grand.

Here's an example:
my fourbee - to buy privately is around $14000 - - dealer around 15000, bought at auction for only $7500 (bargain!(it was a repossession) it is perfect, had it checked over)

fees on top of that from the auction including GST $317.

Third party $348.50 (including GST and stamp duty)
fully comp $586.00

Ute $22 grand -same one from a dealer $26 to $28 thou.

Yes, second hand car's are dearer - but they hold their prices, so when you come to sell, you will not lose too much of your money unlike Britain.
But if you know what your doing mechanically - buy from the weekday auctions, the same place where you'll see the dealers buying, you'll save a few grand (no risk - if you buy a "dud" - put the vehicle through a Sat/weekend auction - you'll get your money back and more)

cheers

P.S - unlike Britain second hand goods you do pay tax on(GST). Antique shops, second hand shops etc - second hand goods are taxed - whether it's a washing machine, or an old vase (not private sellers) - double taxation!)

Cars stay in quite good nick here - it's due to no salt is put on the roads (it's the salt which mostly rusts the cars in UK)

Last edited by Ceri; Mar 21st 2003 at 3:03 am.
Old Mar 21st 2003, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Watch the advertised price! Looked at a car advertised in Saturdays paper, $31,900 actual price on the road was $40,500. Lots of taxes, deliveries, air conditioning all optional.

Same when building a house advertised price is only part of it.
Old Mar 21st 2003, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by tinaj
There must be a way to get spares as I saw quite a few BMW's when w visited NSW and Queensland. There were a few dealers of imported prestigous cars as well.

Why don't you do a search and see if you can find any of the dealers out there, you could contact them and ask.

You could also look in www.Autotrader.com.au to see which ones are selling out there.

Tina
You can get spares, often a t 6 weeks shipping time tho. Also the cost of them is totally off the planet, they end up 3 times the price of the UK.

Car servicing seems expensive here, we have just been quoted $500 to have the injectors cleaned on a 4x4, because it is a diesel, it needs servicing every 5000klms so we are looking at every 8-10 weeks.

Like anything here just take your time before you look and buy.
Old Mar 21st 2003, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by mashiraz
They don't depreciate as fast as UK due to the dry weather...go for ever!

Mash...
The sun here actually damages cars, upholstery fades even disentegrates, dashboards crack, plastic on the car looks shocking after just 2 years. Locked cars here are about 70 centigrade (not farenheit) within 10 minutes in summer. The salt air and storms and dust mean rust is a very big problem here too. Cars really age quickly. On our last trip from the UK we simply could not believe how the majority of cars on the road were so old and worn. Do not spend big money on cars the climate is not at all kind to them.

Sorry about 3 posts, kept getting interupted by a new staff member who does not realise the boss likes internet time he he!
Old Mar 21st 2003, 3:45 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by dotty
The sun here actually damages cars, upholstery fades even disentegrates, dashboards crack, plastic on the car looks shocking after just 2 years. Locked cars here are about 70 centigrade (not farenheit) within 10 minutes in summer. The salt air and storms and dust mean rust is a very big problem here too. Cars really age quickly. On our last trip from the UK we simply could not believe how the majority of cars on the road were so old and worn. Do not spend big money on cars the climate is not at all kind to them.

Sorry about 3 posts, kept getting interupted by a new staff member who does not realise the boss likes internet time he he!

Dotty I have a 1992 4WD - there's not one spot of rust on it, very good condition for an 11 year old car - it just has the odd little scratches on the doors - looks like supermarket trolley scratches to me, which could easily be covered up - if I could be bothered.

My mate bought an old "bushbasher" 1967 4 wheel drive (can't remember the name of the car) - big ugly thing anyway - no rust on that, and it's older than me - in better nick than me too

My hubby used to do up cars in the UK as a hobby - and the rust you get on the underneath - he used to have to grind out parts of the floor on some of them.

One example - I used to love the old Triumph stags and wanted to buy one , I couldn't find a decent one in the Uk - they are rust buckets, I've seen a few here in Aus - and they are perfect.

I think Cars definitely rust more in the UK than in Aus, and apparently it is due to the salt they put on roads in the UK (for ice).
Cheers

Totally agree on the heat thing here in Brisbane - dashboards get faded quickly, and will crack - all cosmetic really - you can easily replace them, just go to the second-hand dealers/scrap yards there's always new vehicles in there (from crashes/write offs)

Last edited by Ceri; Mar 21st 2003 at 3:47 am.
Old Mar 21st 2003, 4:17 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Talking about 4WD - look what I just found on ebay - whoo hoo - I want one !!! very cool -lol

I wonder if you could convert a mini van into a 4WD - now that would be a laugh

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....6912&category=

cheers
Old Mar 21st 2003, 10:43 am
plumber39

I,ve got a suzuki Grand vitara TD no air con cost me £17000
Same car in oz with air con £11500 max

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.