Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car park accident

Car park accident

Old Sep 18th 2008, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car park accident

What's the law on car park accidents here in Aus?

Ie what rights / recourse do you have if someone damages your car (opening doors into yours for example) , especially if they don't want to pay up

and

what legal responsiblity does the owner /user of a car have if they are the ones doing the damage to another car
Old Sep 18th 2008, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice
Default Re: Car park accident

As bad as this may sound, "He who accusses shall prove".

Not much help I know. You may want to get advice from Citizens Advice. I would think that you may be able to persue this through the small claims court but remember the above statement.

Good luck.

Barney
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:44 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Safin

Ie what rights / recourse do you have if someone damages your car (opening doors into yours for example) , especially if they don't want to pay up

and

what legal responsiblity does the owner /user of a car have if they are the ones doing the damage to another car
A scoundrel wrote this:

"I am writing this note because people are watching me as I have just backed into your car. Ha Ha":curse:"

Wasn't Ha Ha when he turned too face me
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

and

what happened saf????

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
A scoundrel wrote this:

"I am writing this note because people are watching me as I have just backed into your car. Ha Ha":curse:"

thats classic
Old Sep 18th 2008, 11:24 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

and

I don't know if your's is a general query, but a few months ago an old lady in a rustbucket reversed into Mrs Wol's car in a carpark. She admitted she hadn't looked behind her, said she would pay and gave her details.

Soon afterwards she was "got at" by her family who then said she hadn't been in the carpark at all and anyway Mrs Wol's damage wasn't anything to do with her! ( How Mrs Wol happened to have her licence number and address wasn't at all clear....)

Mrs Wol's insurer - AAMI - said that damage caused in a carpark wasn't covered by comprehensive insurance!

Eventually the repair bill was paid by either AAMI, th other insurer or the person involved - I can't remember - but apparently this scenario is very common here. The culprit will admit everything on the day but then deny it later with the insurers happy to file it as "unproven".
Old Sep 18th 2008, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

MattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
A scoundrel wrote this:

Hehe excellent. What happened next then?
Old Sep 18th 2008, 12:04 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattW82
Hehe excellent. What happened next then?
He gave him a very stern dressing down............mm
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

We just went in to a hire car company with a family who are staying in one of our properties and we got to discussing the insurance excess reduction from $2500 to $500 and they asked me if they should take it out, like yourselves we have been hit whilst in a car park, so I advised them it was probably best to take out the cover. I was totally shocked when the Car Hire Chappy told us that last week a guy had owned up to inventing a witness to a car park bump so that he could get his excess back.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:38 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

I was in the swimming pool car park when i noticed an oldish lady taking pics of a friends car, though it was rather odd, waited for her to go then checked the cars - nowt to see, went inside and told my friend, pointed out the lady and my friend asked her why she had been taking pics.

Turns out her daughters car had been smashed into in the same carpark, (its quite a tight squeeze in there) but the driver hadnt left details, and since then they had both made a point of taking pics of any tightly parked cars next to theirs....
still seems a bit odd but i guess she was just covering her back...but certainly worth considering doing if you do end up in a real tight space.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:59 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katsmajic
Turns out her daughters car had been smashed into in the same carpark, (its quite a tight squeeze in there) but the driver hadnt left details, and since then they had both made a point of taking pics of any tightly parked cars next to theirs....
still seems a bit odd but i guess she was just covering her back...but certainly worth considering doing if you do end up in a real tight space.
Problem being - what if the tightly parked car that she has photos of leaves and another replaces it, causes some damage and then leaves too.