Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car Migration - Worth it?

Car Migration - Worth it?

Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all
Default Car Migration - Worth it?

Hi everyone

been watching these boards for ages and just have a couple of questions in relation to whether or not it is worth taking my car with me when we go to Oz at the end of the year.

We are migrating to Sydney, probably northern beaches although looking into harbour life currently.

I have a little Fiesta ST which I dont believe are available in Oz yet and foreign cars are more expensive than Ozzy home grown ones.

I have heard that insuring a non-ozzy car to drive on ozzy roads can be expensive and may negate the cost effectiveness of taking it over?

Can anyone help.

Great board.

Cheers

Sean
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Migration - Worth it?

Originally Posted by seanpears99
Hi everyone

been watching these boards for ages and just have a couple of questions in relation to whether or not it is worth taking my car with me when we go to Oz at the end of the year.

We are migrating to Sydney, probably northern beaches although looking into harbour life currently.

I have a little Fiesta ST which I dont believe are available in Oz yet and foreign cars are more expensive than Ozzy home grown ones.

I have heard that insuring a non-ozzy car to drive on ozzy roads can be expensive and may negate the cost effectiveness of taking it over?

Can anyone help.

Great board.

Cheers
Sean
Personally would not take any car unless it was a classic, not worth the expense! European cars sell for around the same price when new, cars tend to retain more of their value in the 2nd hand market! Not sure where you heard about insurance as they're very wrong!
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:41 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

Can anyone help.

Great board.

Cheers

Sean
Don't do it... The costs of shipping plus compliance will go a very long way towards buying a brand new one of those... Probably the only time it's significantly worth doing is with something expensive that depreciates quite a lot in the UK but not here... Have a search on the forum, there's a few threads on this subject...
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

scott_lass will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rodders39
Don't do it... The costs of shipping plus compliance will go a very long way towards buying a brand new one of those... Probably the only time it's significantly worth doing is with something expensive that depreciates quite a lot in the UK but not here... Have a search on the forum, there's a few threads on this subject...
Get a bike mate
Old Jan 18th 2007, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

Thanks All

Will sell it and put the cash towards a yute!

lol

Sean
Old Jan 18th 2007, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Thanks All

lol

Sean
Buying a boat then?

WW
Old Jan 18th 2007, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks All

lol

Sean
Hi mate

I looked into costs and in my opinion for us it wasnt worth it. Pity. I love my Landy!
Old Jan 18th 2007, 12:48 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephen
Hi mate

I looked into costs and in my opinion for us it wasnt worth it. Pity. I love my Landy!
Plenty of cheap good reliable brand new jap cars

We hired a hyundai getz when on reccie ands was amazed at the handling and the extras ev en aircon for about £5000 brand new.

It held the road like glue too and im a bike rider

Was well impressed for the price and parts readily availabkle too
Old Jan 18th 2007, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
Plenty of cheap good reliable brand new jap cars

We hired a hyundai getz when on reccie ands was amazed at the handling and the extras ev en aircon for about £5000 brand new.

It held the road like glue too and im a bike rider

Was well impressed for the price and parts readily availabkle too
Anyone know how much it would cost (roughly) to buy a 7 seater (like a zafira etc or anything really) about 7 years old?
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:04 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephen
Anyone know how much it would cost (roughly) to buy a 7 seater (like a zafira etc or anything really) about 7 years old?

Have you heard of a new site called google.com.au

You type in words like Cars for sale zafira prices and hit search

then you read

easy

www.redbook.com.au

this is like parkers price guide.

please search before asking

I just did

Last edited by alkristensen; Jan 18th 2007 at 11:09 pm.