Reload this Page >

Car Leasing in Sydney

Car Leasing in Sydney

Old Mar 14th 2010, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

jacbilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Leasing in Sydney

Hi

The family is moving to Sydney in the next couple of months. Given the exchange rate we're trying to limit ourselves with the amount of money we transfer and hence thinking maybe leasing a car might be a good option rather than buying. Has anyone on the site got any recent experience of this or done any research?

Thanks
Old Mar 14th 2010, 11:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Leasing in Sydney

Do you mean renting a car or leasing?

A lease over a number of years is substantially the same as borrowing money and buying the car.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

jacbilly is an unknown quantity at this point

Thinking we could lease a car with an option to buy at the end of the period.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 12:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jacbilly
Thinking we could lease a car with an option to buy at the end of the period.
But you do pay for the "option" ... why not just buy the car outright?
Old Mar 15th 2010, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

I lease two cars through a firm called SG Fleet. Service is good and it's a convenient way to run a car.

Depending on your employer you can salary sacrifice (ie pay the lease fees out of pre-tax income). You then have to pay fringe benefit tax but this is included in the overall lease budget and you end up slightly ahead, depending on your tax bracket.

There is one stupid rule: you have to do a minimum amount of mileage to minimise the tax. So on March 31st each year a load of Australians are driving around wasting the world's resources in order to hit their mileage bracket.

I'm sure this will change with the "Henry Review" of tax but I don't see anything chnaging until after the next election.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 1:13 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killerhales
I lease two cars through a firm called SG Fleet. Service is good and it's a convenient way to run a car.

Depending on your employer you can salary sacrifice (ie pay the lease fees out of pre-tax income). You then have to pay fringe benefit tax but this is included in the overall lease budget and you end up slightly ahead, depending on your tax bracket.

There is one stupid rule: you have to do a minimum amount of mileage to minimise the tax. So on March 31st each year a load of Australians are driving around wasting the world's resources in order to hit their mileage bracket.

I'm sure this will change with the "Henry Review" of tax but I don't see anything chnaging until after the next election.

I think that you are talking about a novated lease through an employer. I think that the OP was asking about a UK style PCH lease contract, with an option to buy at the end, or renegotiate a new lease on a different car - like a long term hire, with a buy option.

Sadly, the latter option doesn't appear to be widely available in Australia, unless you want to eventually end up owning the car, and you have an employer willing to do the paperwork.

S
Old Mar 15th 2010, 3:14 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killerhales
So on March 31st each year a load of Australians are driving around wasting the world's resources in order to hit their mileage bracket.
Not just Australians

This year, we're just paying the damn tax.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

See www.goget.com.au for an altrernative if you don't mind driving a smaller car and booking when you need it. I have my own car in Brisbane but use this when visiting Sydney.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 6:16 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jacbilly
Hi

The family is moving to Sydney in the next couple of months. Given the exchange rate we're trying to limit ourselves with the amount of money we transfer and hence thinking maybe leasing a car might be a good option rather than buying. Has anyone on the site got any recent experience of this or done any research?

Thanks
The contract hire concept that is common in the UK is not done in Australia unfortunately. I used to CH vehicles in the UK and found it a great way to operate - I got a new car virtually every year adn it was tax deductible.