Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance - UK No Claims Discounts

Car Insurance - UK No Claims Discounts

Old Dec 1st 2009, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

chrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Car Insurance - UK No Claims Discounts

Hi all,

Very quick question - Does any no claims history I have built up in the UK count towards my rating in Australia?

Ta
Old Dec 1st 2009, 8:33 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Car Insurance - UK No Claims Discounts

Yes

Old Dec 1st 2009, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

Yes, but I have found that they take your word for it in the first place with no requirement to prove the NCD, but guess the need to prove it would occur if you claimed.

TD
Old Dec 1st 2009, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud of

Just check it out with each company. We have our NCB protected and when getting quotes, one company was quite evasive about it, it took quite a while to get it clarified and in the end it meant if we switched company our NCB would have been lost. It took quite a few phone call to find that out though. They also went ahead and did the policy even though we had said no! The people at these call centres must be under terrific pressure to reach targets.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Brisbane bound
Just check it out with each company. We have our NCB protected and when getting quotes, one company was quite evasive about it, it took quite a while to get it clarified and in the end it meant if we switched company our NCB would have been lost. It took quite a few phone call to find that out though. They also went ahead and did the policy even though we had said no! The people at these call centres must be under terrific pressure to reach targets.
I had to send them a letter of proof for NCD. The letter must be less than a year from your UK insurance expiration.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Bingle weren't interested.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 10:53 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Kingseat
Funny Bingle is owned by AAMI, who do accept the UK NCD proof.

Doing a google search for "bingle uk no claims", all you get are articles about Lara Bingle

As Toe Dipper says;
Many insurers accept your word for the NCD, but may request proof in the event of a claim at some later stage.

Old Dec 1st 2009, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Kingseat
Bingle accepted mine 2 years ago.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Yes. Get a letter from your insurance company listing your no-claims years before you leave.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

We've been with two different car insurance companies so far: HBF and BudgetLine. HBF accepted our word for the UK no claims (but may well have asked for proof in the event of a claim). BudgetLine wanted to see proof. We'd brought a letter with us from the UK, faxed that off and it was accepted.

Definitely bring a letter with you. We had no problem getting one from Direct Line. We wrote to them, told them we were moving to Oz and needed a letter to prove the no of years of no claims bonus we had. Took them 3-4 weeks, but the letter came.

Last edited by ozhappy981; Dec 2nd 2009 at 3:44 am.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
We've been with two different car insurance companies so far. The first accepted our word for the UK no claims (but may well have asked for proof in the event of a claim). The second company wanted to see proof. We'd brought a letter with us from the UK, faxed that off and it was accepted.

Definitely bring a letter with you. We had no problem getting one from Direct Line. We wrote to them, told them we were moving to Oz and needed a letter to prove the no of years of no claims bonus we had. Took them 3-4 weeks, but the letter came.
Those two companies were probably the same group. 75% of all car insurance in Australia is owned by two companies - Insurance Australia Group Ltd (IAG) and Suncorp-Metway Ltd.

IAG owns
NRMA
SGIO
SGIC
CGU
Swann Insurance
The Buzz Insurance

Suncorp owns
AAMI
Apia
Just Car Insurance
Shannons
InsureMyRide
Vero
Asteron
Tyndall
Vero
Asteron
Guardian Trust
AA Insurance
SIS
CMV/AXIOM
Comprehensive Travel Insurance
Autosure

Its another aussie duopoly
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

We have got our car inaurance with RACV; they asked how many years NCB we had but didn't ask for any proof, just took our word for it.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if motorbikes are treated the same cars?

Here in the UK the bikes are on seperate insurance policies as car NCB don't cover bikes. That's okay, BUT... I also can't have more than one bike on a bike policy, and one bike's NCB can't be used for another!

Hence I have two bike insurance policies one with say 5+ years NCB and other with 3 years NCB both from the same insurance company. The newer bike started at 0 years NCB even I never claimed on my other bike policy before then.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Bingle weren't interested in mine either. I just ticked "overseas insurer" for my previous insurer on the application. There was nowhere to mention no claims in any case (and my insurance is pretty cheap considering that fact)
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 8:41 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by cookiestar
Bingle weren't interested in mine either. I just ticked "overseas insurer" for my previous insurer on the application. There was nowhere to mention no claims in any case (and my insurance is pretty cheap considering that fact)
I just did a quote on Bingle. They don't actually ask for No Claims, but do ask in one of the questions "Has any driver you have listed made a car insurance claim in the last three years?". Maybe if you mention one, the premium will be different.

My premium is about right for companies that do give maximum no claims discount.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.