Reload this Page >

Car insurance in UK due to expire

Car insurance in UK due to expire

Old Apr 18th 2010, 3:32 pm
Account Closed

Kayelem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car insurance in UK due to expire

Hi all.
My car insurance is due to run out on 12th May. I need cover for another 2 months until we leave for OZ. I just asked my insurance company and they don't do short term cover or an extension. I have just looked at short term cover on the net and it is nearly £150 for 28 days so for 2 months cover it would cost nearly the same as a whole years cover!! Anyone else been in this situation?
Old Apr 18th 2010, 11:49 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance in UK due to expire

Can't you just get a pay-monthly policy and cancel it after two months?
Old Apr 19th 2010, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

I agree with lapin.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Get a 12 month policy and pay it monthly by direct debit. Don't pay by monthly card payment as these can be more difficult to cancel than a direct debit from a regular current account.

Cheers

Steve
Old Apr 19th 2010, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep... we left our VW Golf in the uk at my parents house (out of sight and under cover) the insurance lapsed and we didn't bother renewing it because it was for sale...

it was stolen and torched, we got nothing

worth paying up for insurance and allowing for a spell past your uk departure date in case it hasn't sold before you go
Old Apr 19th 2010, 1:54 am
West is best!

oz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Can't you just get a pay-monthly policy and cancel it after two months?
Do you mean pay by direct debit cos if you do I don't think this will work, my understanding of it is that when you agree to paying it by direct debit it is on the assumption that you hold the policy for the year and if you cancel before the year is out that you may have to pay the difference accordingly. This might mean that the op ends up paying what they've been quoted for 2 months cover regardless inorder to get out of the policy.

I could be wrong though

Ellie x
Old Apr 19th 2010, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

The customer is entitled to cancel the direct debit at anytime.....

https://msds.open.ac.uk/your-record/...irectdebit.htm
Old Apr 19th 2010, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

rosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kayelem
Hi all.
My car insurance is due to run out on 12th May. I need cover for another 2 months until we leave for OZ. I just asked my insurance company and they don't do short term cover or an extension. I have just looked at short term cover on the net and it is nearly £150 for 28 days so for 2 months cover it would cost nearly the same as a whole years cover!! Anyone else been in this situation?
I always saved money doing this and if you need to cancel the policy without a refund it may help to offset the cost!

Go to Martin Lewis website, www.moneysavingexpert.com full of lots of excellant saving ideas. Do a search for car insurance and follow all the stages thru once you have your quote, remember to look at cashback sites and see how much more you can save. If you get stuck pm and I will give you a step by step guide.

Our last renewal for my oh car (prior to leaving the Uk) was 280.00 (pounds) by doing the search and using all the tools available and then comparing quotes for like for like, I managed to get it down to 235.00 (pounds) I then went to a cashback site and by sheer luck they were offering doubecashback, which was 120.00 pounds bringing the policy down to 115.00 pound, you can guess which policy I purchased!

Let me know how much you save?
Old Apr 19th 2010, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

rachyj will become famous soon enough

Hi

We were exactly in the same boat-in fact we still are, we have got a car still in the UK to sell which our parents are doing for us.

We used Ecar insurance, I think it worked out about £65 per month roughly on a rolling month basis, and then we cancel online when we need to. As soon as the car is sold I will cancel the insurance...

Hope this helps
Old Apr 20th 2010, 1:02 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oz bound
Do you mean pay by direct debit cos if you do I don't think this will work, my understanding of it is that when you agree to paying it by direct debit it is on the assumption that you hold the policy for the year and if you cancel before the year is out that you may have to pay the difference accordingly. This might mean that the op ends up paying what they've been quoted for 2 months cover regardless inorder to get out of the policy.

I could be wrong though

Ellie x
2 different things:

- whether you can cancel the policy during the term of cover
- how you pay it

IIRC (and I am not an expert) you can usually either pay a policy monthly or you can pay for a year up front for a discount, but either way you can cancel the policy and stop paying or get a refund for the unused portion respectively. If renew in Jan and sell the car in Mar, you don't usually lose nine months' money.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 9:35 am
ABCDiamond

Agreed with lapin.

With your current policy, how much will they charge for early cancellation.

Some insurers have a hefty charge, but some others are very reasonable, and it may be worth renewing for one year, and then cancelling when needed.

Back in the days when I was involved in these things, the policy document spelt out these costs, but that was a while ago now.